Best way to improve FPS?

Ok, I have Blood & Ice installed with the latest patch. I cranked up the settings all to max and turned everything on... Something I can do in most games without any issue...

I have windows 7, 64 bit.. A Geforce GTX 280, 4 gigs of ram and running a Quad Core at 3.4...

In the game I am getting around 25 FPS on average which is pretty horrible... What settings in game are the biggest drain on FPS that I should tweak?

EDIT:

Apparently AA and vertical sync destroy FPS in this game... I can maintain 60 FPS with AA x2 and veritcal sync off... Try it with AA x4 and Vertical sync on and it town areas my FPS will sink as low as 20... Is this normal? I know vertical sync and AA can cause a performance hit, but really?

Edited by Soulmancer
Ok, I have Blood & Ice installed with the latest patch. I cranked up the settings all to max and turned everything on... Something I can do in most games without any issue...

I have windows 7, 64 bit.. A Geforce GTX 280, 4 gigs of ram and running a Quad Core at 3.4...

In the game I am getting around 25 FPS on average which is pretty horrible... What settings in game are the biggest drain on FPS that I should tweak?

EDIT:

Apparently AA and vertical sync destroy FPS in this game... I can maintain 60 FPS with AA x2 and veritcal sync off... Try it with AA x4 and Vertical sync on and it town areas my FPS will sink as low as 20... Is this normal? I know vertical sync and AA can cause a performance hit, but really?

your performance is very close if not exactly what I get with a very similar set-up. I do not run PhysX as it is a FPS hog, and I also only run with AAX2 but with Vsync on.

also resolution of course makes diff. I run windowed at 1080P. going Full screen helps, but makes Alt-Tab troublesome.

I have a Intel i5 750 Quad core clocked to 3.2.. I found that I needed to turn off Speedstep. as it kept trying to lower my multiplyer from 20 (3.2Ghz) to 9 (1.4Ghz) to save energy while in game. This was drastically dropping my FPS and really helped.

It was entirly the PhysX... This game is not optimized to handle this... I can run everything at max settings including AA x4 and veritcal synch and maintain 50+ FPS ... That starting dungeon as a shadow warrior, with physX disabled I would get 60fps... Turn it on and I get 20fps ... No way should physx drop the fps that much with a Geforce GTX 280 video card... I'll just keep the physX off lol.

It was entirly the PhysX... This game is not optimized to handle this... I can run everything at max settings including AA x4 and veritcal synch and maintain 50+ FPS ... That starting dungeon as a shadow warrior, with physX disabled I would get 60fps... Turn it on and I get 20fps ... No way should physx drop the fps that much with a Geforce GTX 280 video card... I'll just keep the physX off lol.

You are right, it's not optimized. It was introduced in patch 2.40 and incredibly helped immersion, but crashes were worse than ever. ATI users also suffered extreme FPS loss (Talking about 100 FPS dropping to 1-5 here). In 2.43 they introduced a feature to turn it off in the options screen, but you could turn it off manually in the .txt in patch 2.40.

It definitely was an awesome feature though, radiant pillar makes the leaves twhirl around the beacon and trees would waver all around when Raging Nimbus was cast. It's just that it's implemented poorly, very, very sadly :)

• 7 years later...

Much has changed since this thread was made. The CM Patch 160 addresses these issues and makes a huge difference in letting a "trimmed" PhysX run. Crashes and freezes, once unavoidable, are rare. One thing to add though: In your Sacred 2 root folder go to the Launch program and right click then go to properties and under the Target field add the following, -nocpubbinding -skipopenal. So, it should read like: "D:\Sacred 2 Gold\system\sacred2.exe" -nocpubbinding -skipopenal

On 12/17/2017 at 4:58 PM, dimitrius154 said:

Guess, the original reply's got lost in a passage of time.

-nocpubinding - allows the sacred2.exe process to utilize multiple CPU cores, which should improve both speed and stability, at least in theory.

-skipopenal - disables calls to the game's heretical hardware 3D sound solution, based on OpenAL(Known to cause CTDs from time to time).