Bye Bye Sugar, hellooooooo health

I'm a happy camper today! A few months ago when I went into the doctors for routine checkup and blood tests, they said my sugar was a little on the high side. They called me in to go back and have more blood drawn for something called a glucose fasting...basically it means that you don't eat anything after you go to bed and till you get to doctor's office so they can see what your sugar level is like in the morning.

And mine was at 15.8 ( In America 284.4 :))

:o

Was only after I was called back and the doctor prescribed pills and a huge rebuild of my diet that I realized four sugars per coffee , and five cups of coffee per day were over. It was a big change for me, dropping all the processed sugar, drinking coffee with just cream or milk, giving up rice (argh) breads.... or at least substituting with all bran or all brown stuff, substituting fruits and being careful with the fruits I did take.

Well, in a month of serious good food eating and walking/jogging four times a day, I dropped 20 lbs and... Doc said normal sugars for people are tween five and six...mine was at 5.6! And the A1C test, the most important test for checking blood sugars to see if peeps are diabetic or not was beautiful! When I first had it checked, my A1C was monstrous 11 % ... hellooooooo heart attack city, lost toes, and blindness :thumbsup:

But the doctor was actually staggered to see my level at a super low 0.064... lol he thinks I've taken someone else's blood supply! :viking:

I feel great, not that I was ever feeling bad... apparently with high bood sugar, you can be over tired and start having fuzzy vision. I lucked out this time, and this invisible nemesis seems to hav been nullified.

Here's to Oats, spinach and hilly terrain!

:)

gogo

Fabulous!

All it takes is a little wake up call and good dose of self determination. Now, if only I could get a little bit of the determination I might be able to get a little healthier myself.

Way to go gogo~ XD

Good job Gogo...

Wish I could say the same for myself.. Sadly, my sugars aren't as well under control. I'm having problems with mine and the big toe on my right foot isn't doing so hot. I may wind up in the hospital over the holidays. Dag Nab it. Oh well.. Wish me luck guys.. I'll let everyone know what's going on when I get back.

Congrats Gogo, sugar can be a really sneaky threat that gets you when you aren't looking.

My wife and I are going through the same sort of lifestyle change, since she has just been diagnosed with Diabetes. I would never have believed just how many products have extra sugar and salt added to them (Sometimes in such amounts that I wonder if there is any product left if they took them out!).

Good job Gogo! Kinda sneaky that sugar.. Here's hoping to evade the type 2 diabetes. And some better health never hurts. ^^

I'm positive I won't have troubles with 'em. Haven't used sugar in coffee in ages, for example.

Also, about a month ago I started doing a low carbon hydrate diet. Just to loose some weight. It isn't by the books, but by skipping rice, potatoes, pasta and such I've lost little over 4 kg.

There's still about 10 kgs to go, but since it isn't anything acute I'm sure it'll be a breeze.

Oh, and I also hope all goes well with you, Wolfie.

Great job Gogo, I know we talked a lot about this months ago. And I remember the day you came back from the Doc. You were so determined to show the Doc that you were not and will not be classified, I remember you saying something to the affect "I'll prove him wrong!". Absolutely awesome determination.

Good to hear that you are on top of your health gogo :)

My very good friend was diagnosed early in his life with high blood sugar and chose to ignore it.

He is now a full blown diabetic with a lot of the problems it causes.

Well done for taking your docs advice mate......now stick with it! :)

Hey! No wonder the sugar dish kept emptying so fast! :) Once again congratz on your success gogo. You've done extraordinarily well! For your reward I've found another new walking route. This one with even a greater incline than the last! Exercise_Is_Bad_by_Coconutflakes.gif

Hey! No wonder the sugar dish kept emptying so fast! :) Once again congratz on your success gogo. You've done extraordinarily well! For your reward I've found another new walking route. This one with even a greater incline than the last! Exercise_Is_Bad_by_Coconutflakes.gif

Speaking of good health in general, how have you been schot? Besides gogo locking you in the dungeon and working you like a dog, are you well these days?

That's excellent news Gogo. I wish I could get some exercise, but since I do the morning run with the kids, that cuts that out & when I get home from work I just don't want to do anything like that (especially in winter)...

That's excellent news Gogo. I wish I could get some exercise, but since I do the morning run with the kids, that cuts that out & when I get home from work I just don't want to do anything like that (especially in winter)...

After 2 mini Llama's, have you given up bedroom excercise ! :sick:

Edited by cider_steve
  • 2 months later...

Nice one! I'm trying my hardest to cut the carbs and I don't eat no chocolate or sweets at all but it's hard as my parents make rice and pasta for tea a lot, well it's pretty much the only thing they can really afford right now really but somehow managed to drop another stone.

OK, even I wouldn't have gone with four sugars in a coffee. o.o Still, I'm not any better on the sugar department, courtesy of sweets and soda. :P Excellent news on keeping the sugar on the down low. You've actually gone further than me by both cutting back alot on the sugars and substituting them for something else (like the dreaded bran stuff). :) Me, I'm working on cutting back on the sodas alone.

My work is a lot different in the different seasons: winter and early spring is a lot of bodily work, late spring and summer is a lot of sitting and calculating, autum is mainly sales traveling, ...

So I have strangely no weight problems around x-mas and new year, all the sweets and cakes are catched by 12 hours working in a forest, my problem is summer and working at the computer. I am used to carry dozens of Radish with me.

220px-Radish_3371103037_4ab07db0bf_o.jpg

From wiki:

Radishes are rich in ascorbic acid, folic acid, and potassium. They are a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, magnesium, copper, and calcium. One cup of sliced red radish bulbs provides approximately 20 calories, largely from carbohydrates.

Some variants give a fresh breath, are spicy, .... So cola or sweets doesn't taste good after eating one... Several square metres in garden are used for radish.

We don't buy potatoe chips, we make our own Apfelchips (apple chips), cutting apples in thin slices and drying them in an oven, using pepper or chilli so you don't eat that much of them.

15101-bigfix-apfelchips-la-katinka.jpg

English page how to do them: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Apple-Chips

There are several different sorts of apples, but best are ones you can store for months and are used for cookies: like Boskoop apple

Even they have a small amount of sugar in (from fruit, not added), they have no oil and more plant fibres than potatoe chips. But we are lucky and live countryside so we have more than enough apples to do it. Would be a bit expensive seeing how much townfolk has to pay for an apple like Granny Smith, Pink Lady: 50cent, outch.

Also self made apple chips are gluten free, milk free, nut free, egg free, ... At potatoe chips you never know if a machine used to do potatoe chips isn't used to produce other snacks too, which is bad if your daughters appear with classmates having an allergy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I know this thread was started more than 2months ago, but how is the health situation gogo? still good?

I've been living with type 1 diabetes for 20years and 11months. in general, I'm thankful for that. It has kept me from overeating and indulging in sweets, eating healthier in general, I am forced to take better care of wounds and of my body and it gives me an excuse to get out of having drinks, alcohol contains lots of sugars.

It had a big impact on my family when I was very young and the idea around diabetes was "absolutely no sugar in a mile radius". Everyone changed their diet. Even friends.

Atleast now it is better understood. sugars aren't all banned, it must just be limited. I don't drink any sugar(or sweetener) in my coffee, over cereal, porridge etc. but when I do go to a restuarant and feel like having a dessert, then I can have one.

the bad thing is cholesterol, unnecessary fats and oils and eating unbalanced diets. Low GI foods has really helped to stabilise my blood sugar levels.

All of my friends thought I was crazy when I said I want to become a chef, and they knew I was crazy when I said pastry chef.