Game Still Freezing (is there anything else to try)

Oh how I long to play Sacred without any issues.

My system is:

Windows XP 32 Bit,

Intel Core 2 2.66 mhz,

4 GB Crucial Elite DDR 800 ram,

Nvidia 470 GTX (femi card),

Sound Blaster X-fi,

Sacred 2 Gold edition

I'm getting a freezing up problem that seems common and I'm starting to wonder if there's actually a fix or if I'll just have to live with it.

Basically game runs fine, I think the problems gone, then every now and again (usually after long play period), the game just freeze's, you can here it in the back ground but the graphics lock up on the current screen and can't do anything other then ctrl, alt, delete and force quit. Sometimes ctrl, alt, delete doesn't work and its a forced restart job. Sometimes the game locks up when you hand in a quest, or open the map, it just freezes. Sometimes it just does it when your moving, but its entirely at random or play time related. My brother is having the exact same issue running Vista 64 bit with and ATI, so its specific to my setup.

I have tried the following:

1) Disabling physx both in game and Nvidia control panel. Disabled cuda's as well.

2) Disabling AA, reducing graphical options.

3) Uninstalling graphics drivers, trying older drivers or clean install of lastest.

4) Run Sacred Cleaner application. Deleted options.txt to created new options.txt.

5) Tried /3G setting in Windows XP boot.ini.

None of the above has proved sucessful. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions to fix the crashing / freezing memory leak issue.

Edited by fraz

While Im not quite so useful on the whole trouble shoot sacred 2, I will ask which version are you playing so that when someone with a bit more knowledge get here they will be able to help more.

I have the Gold Edition and am using the latest Patch V2.65.2

I vaguely remember something about a 4GB patch cause of XPs memory handling with dual core ... can someone elaborate on this as it might help.

I vaguely remember something about a 4GB patch cause of XPs memory handling with dual core ... can someone elaborate on this as it might help.

If its this patch you mean, I've tried it 4GB Game Patch

I see you have a soundblaster, have you tried adding - skiponal to the end of your sacred2.exe shortcut? it has something to do with soundblaster?

If its this patch you mean, I've tried it 4GB Game Patch

I see you have a soundblaster, have you tried adding - skiponal to the end of your sacred2.exe shortcut? it has something to do with soundblaster?

Yes I've got this added along with -nocpubinding neither seems to make a difference.

Its strange I played for about 3 hours this morning, no crashes, then when I go to log out of the game, it crashes the system, couldn't even force quit.

Yesterday it had a minor crash in game where the game froze, was able to F8 back to starter island and it carried on playing without any problems.

Edited by fraz

I am basically having the lockup problem as well, though I do not have a creative card at the moment. Are you using the community patch?

Yes I'm using the CM patch, its not made a difference to the crashing though.

Based on locos nice reply to me, did you try this...quoted from his post to me.

In C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Create a file called optionsCustom.txt and insert this text

manager.animMem = 754432

manager.grannyMem = 608869

manager.pmsMem = 98608

manager.secMem = 754432

manager.sptMem = 98608

manager.texMem = 1515200

Based on locos nice reply to me, did you try this...quoted from his post to me.

In C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2

Create a file called optionsCustom.txt and insert this text

manager.animMem = 754432

manager.pmsMem = 98608

manager.secMem = 754432

manager.sptMem = 98608

manager.texMem = 1515200

Thanks wsgroves!

I was suprised to hear that forced a lock up on you. I actually have a couple more lines in mine for custom camera view.

the whole thing looks like this. the

camera.cam1_rotx_emax = -1.22
camera.cam1_rotx_max = -0.75
camera.cam1_rotx_min = -0.35
camera.cam1_trackdist_max = 1750
camera.cam1_trackdist_min = 100
camera.dng1_rotx_emax = -1.22
camera.dng1_rotx_max = -0.75
camera.dng1_rotx_min = -0.35
camera.dng1_trackdist_max = 1750
camera.dng1_trackdist_min = 100
render.videos = 0
manager.animMem = 754432
manager.pmsMem = 98608
manager.secMem = 754432
manager.sptMem = 98608
manager.texMem = 1515200

After creating the optionCustom.txt, Rename the original options.txt to options.bak then start the game. once in game exit and the game will have created a new options.txt with you custom setting in it.

As for Fraz, I haven't done as much with 32-bit windows, so I am puzzled by your troubles. It seems you have tried everything I have. The mem mgr option trick was just something recent I did to be able to play with maxed setting.