Broken Guides - OMG! "The Revelation" Part X

Hey hey guys. It's just been brought to my attention that our guides are kinda borked in dah head right now. I'm not exactly sure what's going on there but I'd wager that my custom BBcodes that I created didn't carry over so well during this transition. We could go through all the guides and repair them bit by bit but I'm going to suggest holding off on that for now. Fixing even just 1 broken guide can be a huge undertaking.

I'm going to look into a setting up a site wide sweep to translate the busted up html back to it's original BBcode. There's one other problem though. It's possible that written content is partly missing from some guides as well. I know that Furians Ultimate Warrior guide is missing most of it's text. On the other hand a different guide seemed to have all it's text intact. I'd like to get an idea of how widespread the missing text is from the guides section. On that note if you guys could take a peek at several guides and let me know if more guides are missing text then that would help me create an approach to this problem. An alternative would be to recreate the old forum as it was before the upgrade so that we could go into it and copy out the guides. We should be able to copy paste without any need to edit/customize the guides. I'll probably go ahead and do that anyways during the weekend.

Ok! No what was I doing again, haha.

• Like! 1

in some cases the guides have been saved over on the wiki, so we can recover a few of them if your sweep is unsuccessful

along with Furian's Ultimate warrior, my la Chusa is borked also. I will have a look and see what else is in need of repair

Cheers loco! The wiki copies are a fantastic backup. I'm hoping to avoid having to carry them over from the wiki so as to minimize the tweaking needed to make them work. I imagine even that would take up a fair bit of time. :(

• Like! 1

Ultimately the base content is saved on Wiki. We can always get back to this later to make the guides look great again with the coding. As long as the prose/content is there, the guides are safe.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

Ker is angry at us :unsure:

I looked at my 'General Claudius' guide and was befuzzled that some things had disappeared and changed even.

So I put notes that I would fix it later. Then when I looked later all the formatting to such as bolding or underlining or making a wiki link had reverted to text with the codes (unhidden). Well I will try to be philosophical about this and leave it up to those with expert knowledge to work their magic.

I'm finding quite a few

gogo's , katran's , blackjac, and even your bolting terror all seem to be affected. and that was just a quick look at the high elf guides.

I'll keep looking but....

Is it possible to pull just one forum section from the back-up ? possible do a sort of roll back on the guides section?

Yeah this may be like a bad timing and everything, but do you guys really just type your stuff on the site, knowing things may get borked either by updates, by hacking, or any other reason?

Whenever I want to make a long post, I make it in Word, just to be safe and have a back up...

Yeah this may be like a bad timing and everything, but do you guys really just type your stuff on the site, knowing things may get borked either by updates, by hacking, or any other reason?

Whenever I want to make a long post, I make it in Word, just to be safe and have a back up...

Practical advice and common sense.........That would really cut down on the blowup.gif

Practical advice and common sense.........That would really cut down on the blowup.gif

Hehe yeah... Trust me I had a few of those moments :crazy:

Hmm...all the TG builds I jut looked at seemed fine...I see what you mean by borked guids in the others though.

Schot will be working on getting us a way to fix these easily. We'll have to do a little work, but it won't be terrible. We just need to wait for this fix to come up on his list. He has a few irons in the fire atm. lol go! schot go!

Do you mods have a better idea of whats going on than the rest of us?

Only slightly Just_Cuz_21.gif

Mostly I know that Schot is working his buns off to get everything fixed and just the way we likes it.

If gogo could give a play by play it would sound a lot like a world cup soccer game, with schot playing most of the positions in the game.

Edit:

Some of the problem has to do with the bridge between the wiki and FDM that was messing up the BBcode. and some has to do with pics in photobucket and the transition to wiki hosted pics. He is uploading and downloading and restoring backups and all kinds of stuff which is lagging the site a little right now. Once he gets a few of the big pieces of the puzzle put together we can start working on the little stuff. like restoring the guides section back to normal.

all is in good hands, and when schot gets an update I think we will hear directly from him.

cheers

Mostly I know that Schot is working his buns off to get everything fixed and just the way we likes it.

If gogo could give a play by play it would sound a lot like a world cup soccer game, with schot playing most of the positions in the game.

And for both teams probably :o

And for both teams probably :o

And Schot breaks free down the wing... here's the cross into the box, and Schot gets a head on it, and is turned away by a wonderful diving punch by Schot! Corner taken by Schot, cleared by Schot, shot back in by Schot, it falls to Schot, who takes a shot... Goooooooooaal!

All kidding aside, I really do appreciate all the hard work you guys do to keep the site up and going... and the really hard work that comes with a change like this.

Thank you,

Scott

Edited by essjayehm

lol essjayehm. Thanx. :)

I'm finding quite a few

gogo's , katran's , blackjac, and even your bolting terror all seem to be affected. and that was just a quick look at the high elf guides.

I'll keep looking but....

Is it possible to pull just one forum section from the back-up ? possible do a sort of roll back on the guides section?

It's definitely possible but in this particular case it wouldn't help unfortunately. The problem is that with the upgrade of our forum came a massive conversion of the database into a new layout so whatever I could pull from the backed up database would likely not be compatible...

Definitely! I've learned this the hard way many times and so often when I'm typing I'll have a notepad open on my other screen where I'll paste what I've written into. Most often though is I'll just copy the entire content of my post just before pushing the submit button. I strongly suggest everyone always do that. When writing guides ALWAYS protect what you're writing. With guides I sometimes copy/paste into notepad and even SAVE it. You never know and re-writing a guide is not a happy thought. :crazy:

Hmm...all the TG builds I jut looked at seemed fine...I see what you mean by borked guids in the others though.

Schot will be working on getting us a way to fix these easily. We'll have to do a little work, but it won't be terrible. We just need to wait for this fix to come up on his list. He has a few irons in the fire atm. lol go! schot go!

I'mah goin! Fast as fast can be! ^^

Sorry! That's my fault. ^^ When we go this whole thing rolling the only plan we had was to update the forum and wiki. As you all can see it's become a lot more complicated. Mostly because we learned only a few days ago that the wiki photobucket's Pro account will be ending soon. Rather than renewing it we decided it was time to move away from it. Hence what I'm working on now. And of course all the surprise conversion problems we've seen has thrown us off course somewhat. That's pretty much what's happening now. :) Once that's done we're going to try and get back all the cool stuff we had before. And then we'll look at what more we can have now that we've upgraded. :D

• Like! 1

Sorry! That's my fault. ^^ When we go this whole thing rolling the only plan we had was to update the forum and wiki. As you all can see it's become a lot more complicated. Mostly because we learned only a few days ago that the wiki photobucket's Pro account will be ending soon. Rather than renewing it we decided it was time to move away from it. Hence what I'm working on now. And of course all the surprise conversion problems we've seen has thrown us off course somewhat. That's pretty much what's happening now. :) Once that's done we're going to try and get back all the cool stuff we had before. And then we'll look at what more we can have now that we've upgraded. :D

No need to apologise. I for one, and I assume all of us, really appreciate what you are doing and the fact that you do take some time to tell us what exactly is going on.

• Like! 1

Looked at my own stuff, and it seems only my try to make a colourful guide for a kungfu dryad was affected. All images with links to skills in wiki, wrapping a picture left was not affected, rigfht was ,....

I don't know what methods you're using or anything, but would copy/pasting the ones on the wiki into anadvanced text editor like notepad ++ then comparing to the messed up guides work? It would highlight the differences in wiki and BB code as well as any missing parts. Then you could just click it over missing section by section.

That's an excellent idea Amble. I had completely forgot that we could transfer formatting that way. I gave it a try earlier on today and although it caught most of the data and formatting there was still a lot of clean up to do. Knowing what I know I just can't put you guys through that with the possibility of an easier way. Speaking of which I finally got the old forum up and the plan seems to work very well. I just copy/pasted Furian's guide from the old fourm to this one and the effect is perfect:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15405

I'll leave the rest of the copy/pasting to whoever would like to help out while I continue workng on plugging up the rest of the holes in the dam, haha. Here's the old forum guys:

http://www.darkmatters.org/oldforum

Have fun!

That's an excellent idea Amble. I had completely forgot that we could transfer formatting that way. I gave it a try earlier on today and although it caught most of the data and formatting there was still a lot of clean up to do. Knowing what I know I just can't put you guys through that with the possibility of an easier way. Speaking of which I finally got the old forum up and the plan seems to work very well. I just copy/pasted Furian's guide from the old fourm to this one and the effect is perfect:

http://darkmatters.o...showtopic=15405

I'll leave the rest of the copy/pasting to whoever would like to help out while I continue workng on plugging up the rest of the holes in the dam, haha. Here's the old forum guys:

Have fun!

I will get started with the High Elf section

ugh that is harder to do than it is to say

ok

Here is a list of the guides I fixed:

Kat`s Pyro High Elf Build - Flame On!

Loco's Piromante (Ice & Blood) A [D.a.r.k] Mage with an addiction to fire

High Damage Ice Elf Build Secret Agent Vs Guardians - HD Video (Ice & Blood)

Near-Invincible Ice Elf Build - Console

Schot's Bolting Terror - High Elf Guide Special prezz for Barristan!

And then I went cross eyed!

Edit : More Done

Loco's la Chusa, Angel of Death (Ice & Blood)

Azrael, Harbinger of Justice

A Comprehensive Guide to the BFG Seraphim

A Comprehensive Guide To The Ranged Bosskiller Seraphim

General Claudius the Dark Legion

lol. Very nice loco. You made good tme that's for sure. :) Oh... What skin was it set to? I changed the default skin on the old forum since the Sterling skin is broken but I'm wondering now if I need to manually reset everyones skin...

P.s.

Link to old forum for those who missed it.

That would help, as soon as I logged into the old forum it wanted to view in sterling sacred which is kinda broke without the image linkies working correctly.

I found 9 guides that were obviously not right, and fixed them. If you see any more. Please post here and we can get to them.

It would appear based on what I am seeing, that the guides that make use of BBcode like the icons code are the main ones I see being off. But there may be guides that are mostly text that could also have some issues, so let us know.

Thanks