Electronic Pickpocketing - Keep That Credit Card At Home

gogoblender

You don't have everything which contains a RFID chip in a metal cover?

Probably I am a paranoid german and read to many stuff about NSA, CIA, and more dangerous east european hacker gangs... But when the RFID came in broad usage (credit cards, new identity cards, ...) the first I did was to make me a simple cover for these cards which blocks radiation. If I need the card I just open a slit towards the reader and any radiation to a person perhaps behind me is still blocked.

You can buy metal covers starting from 5 euro, simple ones, or ones with pictures:

Silver%20Card1.jpg

Nowadays they sell even moneybags from leather with a buildin metal protection to block radiation. Price is like 50 euro.

rfid_geldboerse_cryptalloy_bergen3.jpg

Somehow I have the feeling that the world is more dangerous today...

When I grew up people didn't lock their doors and now...

You have to teach your daughters that they never should drink from a glass if they have left their desk for dancing --- too many cases of KO-drops in drinks

You have to teach how small camera's can be and that internet never forgets.

You have to teach to protect data on cards, not to give away too much information in internet, ....

Edited by chattius

Are cards with RFID chips in them particularly common over there Gogo? I think Barclaycard & Visa have been advertising them over here but I don't think they've taken off particularly.

It is easy to do, but it's also easy to defend against, all you need to do is to put the card in a Faraday Cage, one of the options when googling that was for Faraday Cage wallets...

wow!

lol you two, this is TOTALLY new news to me. I've never heard or read about anything like this before. My wallet's gettin old and tattered, guess what I'll be looking for soon. Chattius, that's pretty cool with the metal case you built yourself...kinda reminds me of knight's armor...visor piece.

And llama, you carry our cards around in a faraday cage? :o Aren't those energy fields used to contain AI's?

:blink:

gogo

wow!

lol you two, this is TOTALLY new news to me. I've never heard or read about anything like this before. My wallet's gettin old and tattered, guess what I'll be looking for soon. Chattius, that's pretty cool with the metal case you built yourself...kinda reminds me of knight's armor...visor piece.

And llama, you carry our cards around in a faraday cage? :o Aren't those energy fields used to contain AI's?

gogo

A faraday cage is just a cage made of thin metal mesh, prevents electromagnetic signals getting in, produces a signal free area.

A very cool use of this is the following:

faraday-cages.jpg

The cage prevents the electricity getting into the dude :)

Are cards with RFID chips in them particularly common over there Gogo? I think Barclaycard & Visa have been advertising them over here but I don't think they've taken off particularly.

It is easy to do, but it's also easy to defend against, all you need to do is to put the card in a Faraday Cage, one of the options when googling that was for Faraday Cage wallets...

Yes Llama, the Wave scan cards are becoming common now. You no longer have to slide the card through a reader, just wave it in front of the logo on the reader and it reads your card. Well I will be asking my bank to disable that feature.

I'm really creeped out by this. I know that the new cards are "chipped" is it that technology that we're talking about now that someone can just hijack numbers from? Are we even allowed to use non-chipped cards? :o

80.00 for a faraday wallet is kinda expensive

gogo

p.s. DB, nice pic... where can I get one!~

wow!

gogo

A faraday cage is just a cage made of thin metal mesh, prevents electromagnetic signals getting in, produces a signal free area.

A very cool use of this is the following:

faraday-cages.jpg

The cage prevents the electricity getting into the dude :)

Another good example of a Faraday Cage - the common elevator. Most of the time, you can walk into one while on a cellular call and the call will drop as soon as the door closes.

I'm really creeped out by this. I know that the new cards are "chipped" is it that technology that we're talking about now that someone can just hijack numbers from? Are we even allowed to use non-chipped cards? :o

80.00 for a faraday wallet is kinda expensive

gogo

p.s. DB, nice pic... where can I get one!~

But ask yourself this - which is cheaper? $80 bucks for a wallet that will last a few years - or - going through the hassle of identity theft and credit card fraud? It's actually cheap insurance compared to having to get new card(s) issued, credit repair, and all the other "fun" stuff that goes with this sorta thing...

You can build one yourself - parts are available at any hardware store. The one in his pic is nothing more than chain link fence material with posts and a prefab door, probably grounded using a wire from the wire department.

Edited by wolfie2kX

er....lol dreeft, that was a strange image!

C EN S O R E D

:whip:

gogo

p.s. lol, he probably just linked and the site he linked to changed their image on his post. I've sent him the link so he can see what we saw :lol:

Ah, the old anti hotlinking trick. ^^ Some sites have in place a mechanism that when someone links or embeds an image from outside their own site the image will be swapped with a nasty surprise, hehe. Careful when embeding images from elsewhere. It doesn't usually take effect right away. Takes a few minutes to kick in I think.

hahahahahahaha, my apologies :P

have uploaded/relinked the image on a site I know won't show us any of THAT weirdness.

Edited by dreeft

So.. What was it then :P all this talk made me curious!

Ontopic:

Thankfully we only have a public transport card here with a RFID chip... :twitch:

Ahh just found out my passport has one as well. Uh oh where is my shining armor!

Edited by Timotheus

A tasty and easy to do faraday cage forces you do spend 5 euro for 2*800gramm cacao powder and 20 euro for milk. Then you take the metal which covers the top of the cacao boxes. It is just a bit bigger then a chipcard. Lay one of the metal pieces on top of the other( so that the nice pictures of africa are up), fold the lower, upper and right parts upwards, insert the card, ready.

So this Faraday cage forces you do drink 30-40 litres cacao ;) --- and it is for maximal 2 cards.

The one of my wife is from a chocolade box and has strawberries around it, the ones from daughters are from little watertight aluminium bags which hold collector pictures of a german movie series. 1 euro for 5 picures in an aluminium bag, and the whole album 200 pictures, well it was the pocket money of our third. And at least the bags could be used as faraday cages.

The cellular phone telephone bill of your teenage daughter is way to high again? Use metal tapestry, so they can attach all the posters of their music heroes with magnets at the wall. No longer ruined tapestry when an outdated poster is removed. Secondary effect, they won't be able to phone with their cellular phones inside their chambers, lowering the telephone bill.

Once you learned to use Faraday cages they rule ;)

Too bad that I am not allowed to try out coin shrinking at home:

coins6.jpg

Site about coin shrinking with high electro-magnetic fields

Edited by chattius