The Countdown to Zero

Last week I wrote in a post that there was only 5,046 players left in Uni 9. I checked just now and see we've slumped down to 4,877. That's a net loss of 169 players in a week. Let's assume for a minute that each player had 6 colonies; that's 1,014 fewer targets.

At this rate of decline, it'll only take 29 weeks to completely clear out the whole Universe.

Will there come a time, with only a few players in a Universe, that OGame will simply pull the plug on the server? - Is there any precedence for this kind of thing? The game is funded by advertising and will the advertisers one day say that they're not gonna pay for ads in a Universe with only a few thousand players.

Then what happens?

Is there anyway we can work to add more players to this Universe (kinda like recruiting christians for the lions, lol)?

Thoughts, anyone?

Guest gogoblender

It's beginning to scare me as well

Though I'd heard (or read) somewhere in the OOF that uni's drop down to aobut four of five k then settle and then can grow a bit

maybe?

A good thing to do here is to compare the numbers in this uni v.s. an older one.

I know we have players in uni 4 and six here

Maybe someone can tell us what the numbers are there?

Thanks!

:thumpsup:

gogo

• 1 month later...

A gentle update:

UNI 9 is now comprised of only 4,006 players and continuing its slow slide into oblivion. We've lost another 871 players (times the number of colonies they had ~ figure around 6 colonies each = 5,226 less opportunities for attacks, trading, whatever). :)

The universe gets tougher all the time. As we each grow, we become more dependant on deut for transporting rez and fleet and that gets tougher to find with less players to trade with (thank goodness for this alliance). And those who are strong keep pushing the weaker into despair. I know I've contributed to way too many players simply giving it up, not that I feel bad, but there's no new blood.) /oooo

I did find a player (ferdl) that gave it up a while back and has re-emerged by starting a new account (in noob protection and colonizing the same area in Galaxy 7). I sent him a note welcoming him back and offered to send a gift package. No response...(but, it was me that drove him away int the first place, go figure!) /blush

What a dilemma and what to do? Maybe we could recruit others with offers of gifts to get them going and then beat the snot out of them...

.... wait ....

no, no that might not work out either, lol /rofl

Will the return to school and full-time work schedules in the fall bring new blood into the universe?

Should we find a group of new folks and mentor them..maybe a little protection and see what happens? As the Universe shrinks we face a new and unwanted threat that those stronger will want to aggressively prey on us (or even declare war) --- if we can increase our numbers through increased alliance relationships we may be able to prevail in the long run. /thumbsup

These are just a bunch of ramblings from me... but I like this game and want to play for as long as it stays interesting and fun... How about some other random thoughts about what to do.... please!! /rolleyes

ponder if its possible to merge universes? and if the thought have ever crossed "their" mind .. alot potentional problems thou like multiaccounting etc

Very interesting post Celebrimbor! /thumbsup

It seems to me that the ideologoy of many players, if not all, is not fitting in with the ultimate objective. To be on top. And to truly be on top it would seem to me that there can be no other left in the universe to challenge you. As it is it seems that there is some sort of food chain going on in each uni and although the ranks are always changing they really don't change that much. Top dog more often than not will remain in the top 10.

The way I see it is that the universe is like a game of risk which ultimately has a beginning and an end. Everyone brings their pieces to the board and plays for the big game. Last man standing. Or better yet, last clan standing. I've always seen it as such. Ogame, to me, isn't a game of co-existence. To continue to co-exist would be like monopoly. Forever. How boring would that get. Just keep going around the board over and over. Collecting rent, paying rent and so on.

So this is my random thought. Do you want to wait until you fade away. Or go out with a bang! /viking

You've all gone up against some other player and kicked butt. Maybe it's time to start taking down entire clans? Scary thought I know. But how exciting would that be. You wouldn't have to do it alone. You've got your allies and I'm certain they'd be intrigued by the idea.

D.a.r.k. The clan that brought an entire universe to their knees. How does that sound! :)

Basically I see the universes as requiring a beginning and an end. Everything I see that has to do with Ogame suggests this to me. The galaxy view which makes possible to document all players planets, phalanx and jump gates for serious hits, deathstars to destroy moons, ability to colonize and set up base anywhere, stats pages galore, organized groups of people with common goals ie: clans and lastly ICS. If that doesn't scream, "Destroy the universe!", then I don't know what will.

It would require advanced military and political strategic skill. Of which I'm certain you're all capable of annnd. You would of course have at least one thing that everyone else doesn't. The objective. No one else is trying to do this. In uni9 anyway. That in of itself is worth a lot. You would need to take on some more but temporary allies. I have a feeling that PAX would help. As I once heard before. "The enemy of my enemy shall be my friend." For a while. :o

As for getting fresh blood into uni9 I think that might be difficult what with "ICS?" being offered in other uni's.

Go D.a.r.k. Game on. /bow

well I do have a account for you schot ;) (hehe)

I have talked a bit with one of the go´s among other thing we talked about this problem

and the conclusion we came to was: people get crashed and quit :)

but theres no plans to close uni 9 (so lets just hope we manage to stay around 4k) :)

Sometimes people are just looking for an excuse to quit. They just can't quite bring themselves to abandon a decent account. Then getting crashed and losing their fleet gives them the excuse they were looking for. I almost quit uni 6 when I started a new job that took me away from home for more than 12 hours a day. When Graff a.k.a Candlemass crashed my fleet I was all set to enter permenant vacation mode until my alliance members showed me how you can maintain a decent rank while only playing for 1 hour a day.

BTW, I've got the next 2 weeks off so it's a good time to begin that universe domination campaign. When do we get started? /lmao

Well we could start with the D.H.A. (David Hasselhoff Alliance, eeeeeeek!!) and then take out The Dark (you know those guys that haven't figured out how to fleetsave yet and sound too much like us) and then F.C.A. ....move onto Jin Roh and then TLA (I'd love to tackle Zual /oooo ) ....hmmmm interesting thought there Schot.

@ Esfan, I hope you're saving some of those IPMs for El Makedonero [F.C.A.], when he get's back from his vacation. I think I'm finally ready to nail his butt! /diablo (with your help again)

It's a wargame... or the world ends or the war does :-D I say we must only make sure we end up on top when it all shuts down. We will leave one day if the uni is still there anyway. Once again, make sure we end up on top and that our phasers are still smoking from shooting at our ennemies once the sun sets.

@ Esfan, I hope you're saving some of those IPMs for El Makedonero [F.C.A.], when he get's back from his vacation. I think I'm finally ready to nail his butt! /diablo (with your help again)
You bet. Silos are fully restocked and ready to go. /thumbsup BTW, according to the revised rules, since you are ranked higher than me you can send me res for IPM's any time you need some fired off.
It's a wargame... or the world ends or the war does :-D I say we must only make sure we end up on top when it all shuts down. We will leave one day if the uni is still there anyway. Once again, make sure we end up on top and that our phasers are still smoking from shooting at our ennemies once the sun sets.

Wow...well said... "our phasers are still smoking..."

Ya gotta love it /diablo

I don't know why I only had read the first 6 posts when I read this discussion. Hadn't even read the ones after (Schot and following) but it seems everyone is on the same page.

And all the followers looked up to their master. From the crowd a faint sound was heard... war, war, war...

Could the master ignore the beckon of its pupils?

Gogo's mom then spoke. Gogo? Gogo? Come down from your room please, there's a crowd of weird and anxious looking people at the door asking for you...

And all the followers looked up to their master. From the crowd a faint sound was heard... war, war, war...

Could the master ignore the beckon of its pupils?

Gogo's mom then spoke. Gogo? Gogo? Come down from your room please, there's a crowd of weird and anxious looking people at the door asking for you...

Hahaha!

Goooo go! Goooo go! /viking godarkhr3.jpg

Come out and play? :D

Well we could start with the D.H.A. (David Hasselhoff Alliance, eeeeeeek!!) and then take out The Dark (you know those guys that haven't figured out how to fleetsave yet and sound too much like us) and then F.C.A. ....move onto Jin Roh and then TLA (I'd love to tackle Zual /oooo ) ....hmmmm interesting thought there Schot.

taking out DHA .. .now THERE's an idea I truely love /rofl

and the Dark is definatley on my wish list as well

so .. when do we declare war...

I can come up with reasons to go to war with DHA .. ( well anybody can come up with a reason to go to war with them really.... )

just let me delete one of my planets and move in a little closer to our liettle friends so I can slice and dice up close and personal /thumbsup

Guest gogoblender

First off...

Schot...that is a seriously cool pic man...where's it from?

Dredd...war sounds cool I guess...but we need a better clan to go against no? Reputation means something I think...if we get one of bullying the poor little guys we may find trades and bigger opportunities in the future rarer and rarer

Cel...This is a first class thread, and I have some notes I want to add about it regarding the thinning out of this uni's population...I'll post in a few hours about this.

And finally...Blue Rookie...errr...lol, did you see my mom yesterday or something? hahah, I think she's been trying to hunt me down and yesterday was a big hide for me :)

eeeeeeeee

/oooo

gogo

p.s. wow, our pop went below four g late this morning but just barely climbed up above it now