What Phone Do You Have?

gogoblender

I currently have a Xperia play that I got cheap from amazon with no contract. The phone is average at best as a phone but as a mobile gaming device it is awesome. The N64 and snes emulators work well and it's the only handheld device that I tried that will play Super Mario Kart flawlessly :woot:

http://se-xperia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/n64oid-xperia-play.png

Next month I'm going to get the 41 megapixel Nokia 808 Pureview.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/05/nokia-808-pureview-hands-on-a-superb-camera-with-a-phone-attached/

Yeah I know it's running Symbian but for me the camera is the main selling point.

• 1 year later...

I have a telephon contract which allows to choose a new phone every 2 years. Since I am quite comfortable with my old one I asked if our 14 years old wants a new one. She said she has to look up the photography forumfor a good one. Never heard this argument before. But it seems you can attach certain phones to DSLR cameras as an extern monitor and remote control. I feel like an dinosaur still using my old analog cameras.

She is doing nature photography a lot and currently photographs badgers.

962_4.jpg

Had this Sony Ericsson W300i for 6 years now. Got it for free as a handdown. Originally it was white/silver, but I repainted it red with nail polish so now it looks like red/silver iron man armor. It has an “Iron man” 1996 cartoon theme song for the ringtone and Star Trek communicator sound plays when you flip it open.

New phones don’t impress me.

W300ired.jpg?t=1380706400

• Like! 1

I inherited my dads old iPhone 4s and I upgraded to the ios 7 as soon as I could. Some small changes but nothing bad so that you can't figure it out quickly again

Delta!

• Like! 1

Had this Sony Ericsson W300i for 6 years now. Got it for free as a handdown. Originally it was white/silver, but I repainted it red with nail polish so now it looks like red/silver iron man armor. It has an “Iron man” 1996 cartoon theme song for the ringtone and Star Trek communicator sound plays when you flip it open.

New phones don’t impress me.

W300ired.jpg?t=1380706400

VERY cool

:thumbsup:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Jealous!

But also kinda sad that you gave up that seriously sick machine...

but still so jealous of that s4!

Samsung-Galaxy-S-4.jpg

My friend at Rogers got it for his wife, says it's "magical"

How high a drop can it take though...

from a tower did you test, does it's strength compete with the best?

(dunno why I rhymed, gawsh this is good coffee

:oooo:

gogo

Anyone of you still use citizen-band radio?

I keep ours because in a worst case: a storm may disable the only antenna for mobile phones which coveres our place. Triangulating the location of a mobile phone is also not possible easily because of the single antenna.

So I have one in the car and when I walk with the dogs.

• 2 months later...

Our second was quite happy when I found this for her iPhone for x-mas. She uses the phone as a monitor and remote for her camera already. Now a light meter is added. Even the camera has a buildin light meter, the buildin only measures the reflected light from the target. With this one you can measure the light arriving at the target, nice for studio and portrait photos.

5ac918347769cfdbef198613b435a41f_large.j

http://www.esdevices.com/products/lux

33Euro compare it to the 150-500 Euro for normal light meters. The biggest advantage of IPhone is that they are all same. At androids the diffusor attached for the phone has to be re-calculated and build for the lens and chip for each model, making the prices raise above 100 Euro, reaching the ones of normal light meters.

Even if I am no fan of IPhones normally, for her photography needs they seem to be great. I still use my Sonim ,even I have to admit it looks strange if I have to pull it out at a business meeting :)

Thats interesting Chattius! In one of my uni subjects last semester we learnt about people making lense attachments for iPhones (because as you say all iphones are the same as opposed to all different androids) to allow them to image and test for bacteria and the like. Basically using the iPhone as a portable microscope.

PS. For the last year and change I've had a windows phone, Nokia Lumia 920:

lumia-920-5.jpg

• Like! 1

Hmm...plusses and minuses... Well I havent found the standard lack of apps argument to be an issue, mostly everything I need is there. Theres been one or two localised (such as local banking or sporting apps) things that havent made it across but are gradually doing so. It's fast, does everything I need and has a decent battery life. There are a few operating niggles that I've gotten used to, just things that it seems microsoft has coded weirdly (search button isn't sensitive to the app in which it's pressed eg. pressing it anywhere only brings up a bing/google search) or havent implemented (multiple volume controls, one for the ringer and one for media). To be honest my last three phones have been iphone then android then windows phone and I think from what I've seen they all have there pros and cons, but all in all for the general consumer I reckon they've all just about reached feature parity and for my next phone I'm likely to pick something that looks awesome.

• Like! 1

nice way of putting it DB, regarding all achieving feature parity. I'm kind of of same opinion regarding what things "have" to have for most of us to get by, it's more often getting to be a distinction tween style these days.

Though, I really really do like the way that Windows runs on the phones, those l'il animated tiles are pretty natty, and I've felt the Nokia in my hand, it just felt perfect... great job they did on the feel and build quality.

And... dom dom dom... guess what...this blender has finally done it...I'm gonna get me first smart phone!

My first Smart Phone

350 bucks, unlocked, no contract!

My first real phone, and, comes unlocked! Looks like I'm traveling a little more than ever these years, and relatives even want me to go to Sri Lanka to visit...with this phone, I can just pick up a Sim almost anywhere I go, and there should be enuff bands on it to catch at least 3g anywhere.

Coming in tomorrow, end of day according to the UPS tracker...

PSYCHED

:dance:

gogo

My insurance company more or less dictats which phone I have. I need one with PNA. PNA is Personennotrufanlage. English term is lone worker savety. It sends emergency calls with GPS coordinates if certain events occur. Programmable for no movement for a while, sudden position changes with impact trigger, ... There are not much licensed for the german PNA norm, so I use the one my company gave me.

SONIM_XP334o-PNA_LR_trans_01.png

It looks strange if I am phoned at a business meeting at a restaurant. All have these cute smartphones and I have this hammer (you can really hammer a nail with it).

I am also forced to wear a bracelet with a medical tag (blood group, stupid allergy to certain perfumes, so I really hope that the emergency doc isn't a women using it, ...). After watching '127hours' I use a wristband woven from red and black paracord which has a string-saw buildin. Call me paranoid.

655197784_o.jpg

The picture is just for the idea. Mine has no plastic but metal elements which have an engraved red cross, is red and black as said, ...and it is closed by two very powerful magnets.

• Like! 1

For a first one it's a good'un! Cheap compared to other similarly capable and pretty much as good as anything out there, you can't go wrong!

Yes! I'm completely psyched for this puppy, it's got a huge screen, and runs google natively... love that software, and dying to see what it can do with the flag ship phone... and SO CHEAP

Nice looking phone gogo.

Delta!

Thank you... it's on it's way to my house today, tracking it via ups... saying to be here anytime today... dont even want to use bathroom!

:4rofl:

My insurance company more or less dictats which phone I have. I need one with PNA. PNA is Personennotrufanlage. English term is lone worker savety. It sends emergency calls with GPS coordinates if certain events occur. Programmable for no movement for a while, sudden position changes with impact trigger, ... There are not much licensed for the german PNA norm, so I use the one my company gave me.

SONIM_XP334o-PNA_LR_trans_01.png

It looks strange if I am phoned at a business meeting at a restaurant. All have these cute smartphones and I have this hammer (you can really hammer a nail with it).

I am also forced to wear a bracelet with a medical tag (blood group, stupid allergy to certain perfumes, so I really hope that the emergency doc isn't a women using it, ...). After watching '127hours' I use a wristband woven from red and black paracord which has a string-saw buildin. Call me paranoid.

655197784_o.jpg

The picture is just for the idea. Mine has no plastic but metal elements which have an engraved red cross, is red and black as said, ...and it is closed by two very powerful magnets.

ahahhaa, 127 hours

I remember after seeing that movie, how much "stuff" I wanted to always have at hand in case of a completely crazy emergency like that.

Chattius, I think your phone can definitely hand it

:)

gogo

I really think the Windows moble OS is top notch. I've handled their phones in my hand, and hats off to Nokia for pulling it together on design, feel and that whole slick carbonate plastic feel being elevated to "quality" status with the phone's build.

Buying it on no contract here though is expensive, and I really needed an unlocked phone, so rare here in North America (grrrr, big companies)

The Nexus 5 is a massive screen at a super cheap price, plus I got a super ubiquitous ecosystem with it, that I'm still trying to grasp, yes, frustrating moments, but a lot of aaaaaaah moments too

:lol:

gogo

I hear you on the real calculators. That's one thing I've never liked using touch or mouse for. There's just a better feel for me as well with punching in numbers mechanically.

I feel more attached to the data

:lol:

gogo

And it is less frustrating:

you can throw a 3 dollar calculator at the wall if you miscalculated, but you can't calm down with a phone because there is too much data on it to loose it breaking it at a frustrated wall throw ;)

lol .. I like that

:)

gogo

• 1 month later...