Why Is Everything Only In The Cm-Patch?

Gordius

I have been thinking this for a while but decided not to post until I saw this new thread from wolfie My christmas present to The Community.

Firstly I do not use the CM-Patch and doubt that I ever will. I like MODs but it seems that if I want to use one MOD alone it is impossible because, in general, I read that the MOD will not be realeased yet because it must wait for the next CM-Patch! I think it is a shame (not getting at anyone, esp wolfie) that I don't get any choice, I install the CM-Patch or get nothing.

Yes, there are a couple of MODs out there but hard to find, the two I have I don't bother using because they wouldn't help me. I used the rainbow health bar for a while and another that escapes my memory for a while but since a reinstall I haven't bothered to add them back in.

Please do not think that I am criticising the CM-Patch in any way.

I am working on a MOD now which is taking so long I am having to take a short break. Basically I don't like the Temple Guardian so I am replacing him with a new character of my own design. She keeps the name Temple Guardian, uses the graphics from the High Elf but has it's own skill-set and Combat Arts brought in from other characters. A warrior, weaker and harder (IMHO) than a Shadow Warrior with a bit of magic thrown in. I will probably make it available when done, it won't mess up existing TGs if used with JSME MOD Enabler and of course wouldn't be appropriate for the CM-Patch anyway. There, that's my bit of advance publicity done :)

So, where are all these MODs I keep reading about? People are obviously working very hard but surely I am not the only one who would like to be able to selectively add a few MODs which simply are not available to me but am very frustrated because it never seems to be offered.

Well... As I posted in my reply to your reply... It's mainly because I have NO clue as to how to pull it off successfully. Truth be told, right now, I don't have the time nor the patience to sit down and figure it all out. My life at the moment has more than it's fair share of interruptions. I also think that by the time I did get around to mastering the things needed to make it a stand alone mod, we'd all be old and gray and Sacred 10 might just be hitting store shelves... (knock on wood, hope DS has the kind of luck to pull that one off!)

So... At least in my case (I can't speak for anyone else) adding it to the CM Patch IS the easiest, quickest, most reliable way of getting it out into people's hands.

It's like if your appendix is infected and needs to be removed, you don't want to do it yourself - you go to the hospital and have a doctor do it for you.

A good point. Knowing how to MOD something and knowing how to make it available as something which could be added and removed from Sacred 2 by anyone else are two seperate things. Not only that but maybe a lot more work. Maybe if someone could post a guide re how to do just that it would help. I have been trying to figure out how to make my MOD add/remove safely, if I figure it our perhaps I could post here more or less what I did. CiSacred is the MOD I used to use, the history of that one is also pulling together a number of MODs into one package I think.

If I understood correctly, the CM was not originally supposed to be about MODS. It was intended to be a group project to to try to "fix" as many issues with Sacred2 as the team could. In the process I think they discovered unreleased content, such as items and quests that were never finished. And most recently they have begun to add "Content" when they find something that they feel would be a benefit to the community (such as porting over the ciSacred mods as new items . I think the biggest reason the CM is growing into new items and expanded content is because of the organization of the team. They are professional about the whole process right down to the testing and install package.

As far as a "superstore" of MODS for us to pick and choose from. I don't think there has been anything of that kind except maybe here: Sacred 2 Mod Compilation - offered to community. This is a list of edits in the script files. The ciSacred team has released many of there mods as separate mods for the Mod Enabler. That may be the best set of unique upgrades that can be had a la carte.

Cheers

As far as a "superstore" of MODS for us to pick and choose from. I don't think there has been anything of that kind except maybe here: Sacred 2 Mod Compilation - offered to community. This is a list of edits in the script files. The ciSacred team has released many of there mods as separate mods for the Mod Enabler. That may be the best set of unique upgrades that can be had a la carte.

Cheers

I think loco has it with this. There are not really that many game changing mods that can be made, and those that can are already covered in the cm-patch. Anyone that wants to up the experience or change the difficulty level requirements has access to that knowledge on the modding threads. As this game hasn't had such a huge fanbase there isnt a huge community making mods, what we do have however have been the CM team and the ciSacred team. As the CM team have been the only ones able to decipher the global.res files they are the only ones that have been able to make new content. However, the amount of amazing graphical work done by the people over at ciSacred and various others on this forum in desiging new models/skins is simply amazing, there really isnt that much else people can change. Most people who want to use a HE's combat arts will simply play a HE and not spend all their time mixing everything up.

Also, since a fair portion of the community is involved online on the closed servers there cannot be any modding of your game, also limiting interest in it. I appreciate what the cm-patch is and does, however I would only use it if I had no internet connection or for an hour or two to look at what they've added.

Other comments have made me think a bit more about this, let's say clarify my thoughts a bit.

There are different types of MODs. Some are major undertakings such as adding a new Quest, fixing bugs, etc which involve overwriting "core" files which could be spells.txt for example. Others, such as the Rainbow Health Bar and other GUI changes which are mostly cosmetic. Let's imagine a MOD which changes global.res, it is impossible to seperate those MODs so that they can be added selectively. However it is possible for a player to choose to apply only some MODs sometimes such as the Rainbow Health Bar, Log Book changes as used by CiSacred, repaints of Sets, etc which a player could do using a tool such as the Generic MOD Enabler. Unfortunately the second type is simply not generally available.

There is one other type of MOD I have not yet mentioned such as this No undead respawning - SacredWiki which require a manual edit of script files. Not very hard to do and because the instructions are on that page the player can apply that MOD and then a second such as Disabling the debuff ability - SacredWiki, both well explained and I did use the no undead respawn thing for a while. Now check this one out Lich King Set, I for one could use those graphics to replace a set I don't like the look of but I cannot because it is only available as a part of the CM-Patch, I would love to have that option.

Perhaps the answer is staring me in the face, SacredWiki. Perhaps if I decide to MOD something then instead of simply posting it here I can add it to SacredWiki as well. I know that if I send a PM to someone like galanvioreldan asking for the graphics of the Lich King Set I might get a reply and I can then MOD my own game to make the change myself. Lots of PMs for some MODs but possible. If files such as those were available on the SacredWiki with some explanation players don't have to sign up to DarkMatters (it was quite a while before I found DarkMatters but I found SacredWiki very quickly when I was stuck on a certain Quest). My wife is a good example, she is Spanish and says that is why she does not bother reading this part of DarkMatters (too complicated for her to understand in English) but maybe if she could download the Lich King graphics she could figure out how to apply that MOD (her English is good enough for that IMO). I am certainly not criticising anyone such as galanvioreldan so please don't think so, what those people do is great!

I have mentioned the CiSacred collection, the Lich King Set and the CM-Patch. No criticism intended. I have great respect for the people involved. They have made MODs easily available to all Players, thanks and all that!

I better stop writing for a while. I sometimes get told I ramble and write too much but I think you get the gist of my thoughts.

Edited by Gordius
  • Appreciation 1

If you are looking for separate graphics mods the the ciSacred website is your best source, they have a heap of mods over there on the ciSacred website. Over here not much focus has gone into graphical modding and thus you havent seen much. The ciSacred mod is a great way of enjoying several visual mods without worrying about conflicts between them.

We will be rolling out a downloads section of this site soon. whether we do that on SacredWiki is yet to be seen. And the orgainizing of downloads and such is still being worked out. So for now we wait for the Wizard to conjure us a downloads section.

• Like! 1