Test Drive A Google Chrome Notebook

gogoblender

US only? Too bad, would've been quite an interesting thing...

Interesting? As in the ancient Chinese curse - "May you live in interesting times..." perhaps.

I find the Chrome "laptop" to be a bit more "internet appliance" than laptop. No local storage. Everything saved to the cloud - in Google's hands for their own perusal. You can't install say, Sacred 1, let alone Sacred 2 on it. Eh... Might be ok if all you want to do is check your email and maybe work on a document.

Personally... I'll pass.

Wolfie: I've heard that one couple of times. :P

And now that you've mentioned that, I have to admit that I totally forgot how tied to the cloud it is... I've read about it before, but totally slipped my mind.

Yep, I'd pass it too, if I had the chance to try it.

Not much utility to it, however as a second internet machine. such as the one my wife uses for facebook and looking up recipes on Food Network, it would actually be perfect. and when she pushes the wrong button all I have to do is turn if off and back on and Bam! she back on Emeril!

My friend Robb at Cisco, years ago used to keep preaching that one day we'd all be done with computers, and that "appliances" was going to, HAD to be the way to go. That the redudancy of having so many copies of software all installed on everyone's own hardware was going to become archaic. That most peeps use only a few functions, and that as more and more actions become actionable via the net... the net itself would become more receptive and powerful enough to handle all the needs we would use it for. I was doing some reading on how, if, WHEN net computing took off... software, games would all be designed first with net use in mind first.

:)

gogo

p.s.Dang, sorry I just saw this was for America too... we wants cool toys too! :viking:

My friend Robb at Cisco, years ago used to keep preaching that one day we'd all be done with computers, and that "appliances" was going to, HAD to be the way to go. That the redudancy of having so many copies of software all installed on everyone's own hardware was going to become archaic. That most peeps use only a few functions, and that as more and more actions become actionable via the net... the net itself would become more receptive and powerful enough to handle all the needs we would use it for. I was doing some reading on how, if, WHEN net computing took off... software, games would all be designed first with net use in mind first.

gogo

p.s.Dang, sorry I just saw this was for America too... we wants cool toys too! :viking:

He's not alone. There have been MANY others out there who have preached the same sort of thing - and not surprisingly ALL of them have been Epic FAILs. Larry Ellison of Oracle touted the "thin client" mentality many moons ago - as did Scott McNealy of Sun Microsystems (now owned by Oracle).

The big problem - net computing or thin clients - it's ALL been done before. It's the same as mainframes of the late 60's/70's. The whole personal computing revolution of the late 70's/early 80's gave people the ability to have the power of the computer at their fingertips. It gave them the freedom to do whatever they wanted - however they wanted. This sort of thing limits your abilities to do that.

It's all very well and good WHEN and IF you have a connection. But what if you're in an area without wifi and without a cell tower within miles. Your new Chrome laptop is now a battery powered paperweight.

SO FREAKIN' WHAT if most people only do a few things on their computers. For them - maybe an internet appliance MAY be enough. But for the rest of us - I'm sorry. I'll keep my OS, my CPU and my local storage in MY hands. I'm a big boy. Crap.. I'm a man. I can take care of myself and my data, thank you very much...

Damn you Americans! Stop hogging the cool technology! sad.gif

Uh.. Dude.. You've already got the cool technology right in front of you.

Sure, I have a lot of cool technology, but as an avid consumer I demand the newest and the best.

Sure, I have a lot of cool technology, but as an avid consumer I demand the newest and the best.

Having the latest doesn't make it the best. Just because someone says it's best, doesn't make it so.

Having the latest doesn't make it the best. Just because someone says it's best, doesn't make it so.

Maybe it is or isn't the best, but without early adopters who are interested in testing new tech, we would never know would we?

Maybe it is or isn't the best, but without early adopters who are interested in testing new tech, we would never know would we?

Right!

I remember when noone thought that anyone would ever trust the net for any kind of commerce.

The idea of sending your credit card numbers through the net?

Outrageous

Course what's profitable, happens. And if you can marry profit to the beauty of a convenience, and it's new and sexy... well there's your gold mine. There were many set backs for a a lot of the technologies we use in every day ways now. But through need, invention, or profit, things would change.

I'm curious to see how this new effort of google's pans out. I was reading a bit about this pilot program... already there is some inhouse contention tween Android OS or Chrome, for the net's uber OS ^^

gogo