JonJons Avatar

Hey there JonJon. While surfing the forum I kept coming across you and more specifically, your avatar. It's a very catchy avatar and I like it very much. So I checked out the properties and to my surprise it was over 90kbs in file size. Mostly because it's a .png and that png type images are always quite large in filesize. I did a quick search for the source of your avatar and found it on a uk site. I was hoping the source would offer a jpg or gif version so I could quickly replace your avatar but to no avail.

So I fixed it up in photoshop and had a little fun.

Your original avatar was pretty beaten up. Pixelated quite a bit and a mesh of unnecesary colours. Had a a little fun painting pixel by pixel. I know... I'm sick. Good learning experience tho.

So here is a cleaned up sharpened version:

jonjon1nb2.gif Filesize = 5.5kb

And this one I like to call the "Powered Up!" version:

jonjonip4.gif Filesize = 6.5kb

Please use one of those two as the filesize is much more appropriate.

Thanx :)

HaHa! That's wicked fun!

I've already switched it over.

Had I realized there was that size restriction on offsite linking (I thought it was only for uploaded images, not realizing that you can't upload images on this board), I would have decreased it myself...but I'm kinda glad I didn't now.

I've done a lot of painting pixel by pixel before, so I know how taxing it can be. Thanks a lot.

P.S. Even with the size difference, I'd still pick .png over .gif any day /wink

Guest gogoblender

I like the newer, sharper version of yer avatar Jon JOn, and I had noticed a while ago when you had put this new one up.

nice work Schot

have fun with new pic, Jon Jon

:)

gogo

Thanx guys. It's pretty cool huh. Hot stuff! /lol

As for the filesize it's not so much for the forum but for visitors who may have a weak internet connection. The bigger the filesizes of graphics on a page the longer it will take for that page to load up when using a weak connection which in turn may cause them not to want to return.

And I looove pixel painting. It's really amazing what a difference it can make. Although it's a very subtle thing and that no ones going to notice the cleaned up pixles specifically an entire image of cleaned up pixels as a whole will definitely look much better. Not only that but from this experience I can see that pixel painting can reduce the filesize of the image big time! Oh and for the record I didn't clean up ALL the pixels. I got tired. It takes forever! lol. /blush

I totally agree with you on pngs. By far the best compression. Unfortunately it can be a challenge getting the filesize down, BUT! I just checked to see what the filesize would be of your new powered up avatar in png and...

Voila!

jonjon2vk6.png Png versions filesize = 19.15kb! /woot

Pixel painting is gooooood! :)

P.s. After seeing what pixel painting can do I think I may try completely cleaning up the avatar just to see how small I can get the filesize in png.

*Activates Photoshop!*

Oh that sounds awesome! Let's do that! Maybe you'll teach me some tricks? Ok ok, after the contest, haha. :)

I gave it another go. And got tired again, lol. It's becoming difficult now because their aren't many areas I can alter now without creating jagged lines. Aside from pixel painting tho, I reduced the red glow from the fire a bit. I thought maybe the red glow was a bit too much.

So here's what I did with a bit of pixel painting and less glow:

jonjon3qv3.png png filesize 18.38kb

If you like I can supply you with the photoshop file. The .psd or another format of your choosing.

I may not have your sence of style, Schot, but I know a thing or two about image optimization.

fireman1.png png filesize : 5.33kb

And if you wanna send the psd file, I'd love to take a look at it.

your move...

Whew! Man you dropped that filesize waaaaay down. Took me forever to get below it!

Here's what I got: /viking

jonjoncompkb2.png png filesize = 4.58

And here you go. This is a link to the psd. I tried to organize it a bit. Hope it's not too messy for you but should be ok:

JonJonsAV.psd download

I was in the middle of somethin fun too. Lemme know if you find it. /lol

P.s. Just to explain whats going on here. We're basically removing the number of colours used in an image to reduce filesize. Here's a couple of examples to show whats happening:

Here is an enlarged screenshot of the original image JonJon and I are optimizing: Lots of colours

And here is the latest optimized version of the original I made: Few colours

Your move JonJon /sweat

I'm 90% sure I'm using CS2 as well (but I'm not home so I can't check).

Maybe you could try converting down anyway and see what happens.

Do you think it could be a plugin difference or something like that?

Aaaah. Very smart. It could very well be a plugin. I may have a plugin that is active on one of the layers but right now I can't think if I did or not.

I did save a .tiff version of it and uploaded it. See if that is any better:

Download: JonJonAV.tiff

I'll have a look to see if I have any plugins active and if so I'll complete their action on whatever layers.

Also... I'll check for any use of custom textures and whatnot.

Hopefully that .tiff will do it tho! :P

I had an odd hunch to actually check the contents of the file in a text editor (vi) and the first thing I see is this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>

Seems like it's downloading the page and not the file...weird.

HTML?! /blink Maybe it's the animation I have in there:) Well In the psd I supply below theres no animation. Give that a try. :P

Another .psd. In this one I have completed all effects on all the layers. That should remove any possibility of complications via layers.

Download: JonJonAV2.psd

P.s. Scratch that! Just tried it and it didn't work for me! I'll correct the prob...

P.p.s.

Ok JonJon. Give that a try. I just tried it myself and it worked whereas the other downloads I supplied didn't work for me either. Sorry about that. Lesson learned. /whistle

Download: JonJonAV.psd

I checked all the layers and there were no uses of custom textures or plugins just so you know.

Yah, was the stupid uploading site. Did look kinda sketchy. I've made a new download for you in my previous post. That one is uploaded to our host. Tried it myself and works fine. :P

And yup. I use firefox. No better browser.

And yup. I use firefox. No better browser.

Yeah, too bad it doesn't work with that upload site...I'm willing to bet it would work with IE.

Anyway, the file works great here, so it'll totally work home as well.

Ah good! Whew! lol

I think that's the last time I use "Mysharebox". Grrrrr.

Give that file a go in imageready btw. :(

There's a fun lil animation I did with it. You'll see that there is a folder of layers called Animation. It SHOULD be all set up to run in imageready. All you have to do is click the eye beside the folder to make it visible and push play. :P

Have fun! ^_^

Yup, JonJon.. it should be. Look in the "File" menu when you're Photoshop and there should be an option that says "Export...". Then from there, choose ImageReady. :P

Yup Yup!

Really fun program that is.

Oh and I just checked the layer setup for the psd you just checked and turns out that it isn't setup to run the animation. So I'll give you a psd with the animation setup. This is the exact same psd as the one you looked at. Just the layer visiblities have been switched. In this one you'll only need to push the play button in Imageready.

Download: JonJonAVanimation.psd

The easiest way I can tell you to get to imageready is through photoshop. When you have photoshop running you always have a toolbox on the left side of the window. A long box who's length travels vertically. the last button at the bottom of the tool box is an action that starts up Imageready and sends whatever project/.psd you presently have active to the Imageready app. From there you can edit and view. Just have a look around. In my experience the box that contains the play button and frames is always on the lower part of the window in Imageready.

That's really neat looking.

Although I'm afraid out opinions don't jive on the use on animation. I think it looks ok in some situations, but in most it's just not needed. I personally find animated sig's and avatars to be rather distracting.

Don't get me wrong though...I still think you're work's some of the best I've seen, not only on this board, but any board I visit. I think we just come from different schools.

Also, I know this "version" isn't very optimized, but I really liked the look of the drop shadow.

fireman1ds2.png

I would agree JonJon. I think the important thing about adding animation to an image is to try and make it subtle enough so as not to "steal the show" so to speak. Unless of course you want the animation to be the focus of attention.

I really like the shadow on your your guy. Gives the feeling that he is 3d. Brings an idea to mind. I think I'll try applying a shadow to him and see if I can lay the shadow flat. As if it were a shadow on the ground he's standing on instead of seeming to be rested on a wall behind him...

And that's a very generous compliment JonJon. Thanx. :mafia: