Hotmail.com Bug

Furian67

Well looks like I might have gotten a bug last week. I noticed in my email which is a hotmail account that I was getting Notification of undeliverable mail, which I didn't send. the message was this:

"Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server." Seems something got into my contacts list and was shooting messages out to everyone.

Well what I have done is download and install the latest version of AVG, I ran it 3 times now and it has not come up with anything.

A Day later I deleted all contacts in my email account. Still getting the notifications.

The time that I get the Notifications is usually just after I have stopped using the computer for the night or even last week while on vacation for 5 days I had the computer off and still received notifications.

How can I stop this from continuing?

I also have an iphone 4, which I use to access my email and browse the Web.

Well looks like I might have gotten a bug last week. I noticed in my email which is a hotmail account that I was getting Notification of undeliverable mail, which I didn't send. the message was this:

"Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server." Seems something got into my contacts list and was shooting messages out to everyone.

Well what I have done is download and install the latest version of AVG, I ran it 3 times now and it has not come up with anything.

A Day later I deleted all contacts in my email account. Still getting the notifications.

The time that I get the Notifications is usually just after I have stopped using the computer for the night or even last week while on vacation for 5 days I had the computer off and still received notifications.

How can I stop this from continuing?

I also have an iphone 4, which I use to access my email and browse the Web.

The question is - are you using the web interface for Hotmail or Windows Live Mail or some variation?

You could have gotten yourself onto some wanker's list and he/she/it can be spamming you with fake messages that email you didn't send didn't get to where it was going. And as usual, email being bounced back contains a copy of the message that was sent - and in these cases, it's usually a not so pleasant virus laden attachment. As long as you don't download anything from such emails, you should, in theory, be OK. More often than not, you have to download and then open/execute any attachments before the payload will be unleashed.

Keep in mind that if your Hotmail contacts list was reasonably up to date, and you can send email to those people and NOT have it bounce back - then it's definitely a fake email you're getting.

You might also want to run Malwarebytes anti spyware/malware app. ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ). It's a free antimalware app that does better, than most other apps at getting rid of some of these beasties on your system.

I'm not a techie and I'm sure you've done this but just in case I looked around and found this.

http://www.bleepingc...opic298905.html

Again I apologize if you did this or I'm naive enough to think it'll work but have you tried changing the password?

This is from the McAfee website (I know he's using AVG) but some good reading there

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/21085

I got my email accounts hacked after downloading an app to my Android phone. It sounds very similar to your problem Furian.

As suggested, changing the passwords for the accounts cured the problem. Since then I've been very careful about downloading apps, your phone can hold some very personal information and is way more open than your PC :(

Not particularly helpful, but my suggestion would be change email providers. I know it's a complete pain in the ass, but the benefits of switching to a better provider (like Gmail) well outweigh the inconvenience.

You can probably forward all your hotmail email onto the new account..?

So far changing the password has worked. I'll give it a few more days to be sure. And I checked out the Anti-Malware download... it didn't find anything. So Changing my password and making sure I'm logged off when done is working.

So far changing the password has worked. I'll give it a few more days to be sure. And I checked out the Anti-Malware download... it didn't find anything. So Changing my password and making sure I'm logged off when done is working.

It's a little scary to think some bot has my email account password. I hope that works. if I get any spam from you I will let you know.

Where does it come from? How can I know that I have it if all my spyware, antivirus, and mal-ware don't pick it up until it's too late.

It won't be anything installed on your local machine, but it's worthwhile running those scans occasionally (once a month is fine.. or do it if your machine starts feeling sluggish).

Hotmail is not particularly secure. They are either cracking your password, or infecting you via a spam email in an effort to harvest your details to use to spam their junk.

Easiest way to avoid problems is use a long secure password (at least 8 characters with numbers and upper/lower case letters) and don't open any spam if possible.

It's a shame that Hotmail's spam filter sucks :(

Edited by dreeft

Well crud, my password was just that 9 letters upper and lower cased and two numbers.

So, I'm willing to go thru the trouble of changing my email server. Who or what email server is a good secure one?

I use gMail for my general day to day account. I use it to sign up for websites and fill in forms, etc.

As an example, since May last year I have got 14 spam emails, and it has filtered them all for me :)

Even my own personal web hosting providers email protection can't match that.

Furian, I"m glad you are on a good road outta the spamwaves. I was there too for a long while...and only cuz hotmail was connected to my msn...so useful both, that even though I was getting spam from other users' probably infected mail box, I would still put up with it (course I deleted each one and the user) until I got fed up with hotmail's constantly and still freezing up my firefox.

Out went the hotmail, in with the Gmail. Search is terrific and spam filter is powerful.

:)

gogo