Please Don't Yell In Your Posts

Hi

I've seen this new trend of words being capitalized to "stress" importance like a kind of secret yelling or tender condescension here on these boards.

Please be careful of this.

It's not really the tone of this community, and I'd rather make a post about this here for the entire community to read rather than turn off yelling in posts. Placing capitalized words over and over again in a post is brusque, and kind of rude, especially for this community, for DarkMatters.

This is a kind of "trend" I've seen pop now, and it's maybe something done on other forums, but not something that I, or I think, most of our community here wants to wake up to in the morning, especially after a loud night out on the town :P

Please be careful of your tone, and avoid the caps for words in posts. It may be a personal style of speaking but if it comes off as being overly loud, then it's not cool for this corner of the net.

Try using italics...they look cooler

:P

gogo

• Like! 1

lol

Steve, I don't think I've ever felt any kind of overbearing from any of your posts. And Caps in posts as a rare touch can have real meaning without being rude and can add a kind of vigor. It's only when it becomes a person's constant style that a kind of bossiness ensues, and begins to add up as a grate on the community's nerves.

You've nothing to worry about friend.

:)

gogo

Everyone has been guilty a time or two including me at some point in life or on a forum or in game or......But his forum is really special. It's openness and friendliness is extremely hard to find out on the web. One thing we treasure is exploration of ideas, thoughts and the occasional rambling tangents. Often there is no 'right' answer for everyone, so we want to encourage everyone to share their thoughts. So many times that has led to another topic and another discussion. Sometimes the end answer was no where near what we started with.

We just wanted to throw out a gentle reminder of why we all come here and hang out and to think for a moment before posting as to the content and tone of your post :D

Id like to think I havent done this, but like steve said, I will take care to see how I post (admittedly I always do this anyway) and try to maintain a positive tone.

I have seen it a little bit, not too much though, it seems to be only one or two people doing it from what I recall, so not a widespread epidemic :)

WHATS WRONG WITH CAPS?!

okay just kidding XD thx for the note I will try to restrain myself from using CAPS even though it is likely that I would use it once in a while when I want to underline a certain thing. :)

WHATS WRONG WITH CAPS?!

okay just kidding XD thx for the note I will try to restrain myself from using CAPS even though it is likely that I would use it once in a while when I want to underline a certain thing. :)

Nothing wrong with 'caps' , as long as it's Headwear that we are talking about ! :tongue:

Edited by cider_steve

Eh.. I don't know.. There are times where caps are appropriate - for instance, if you're discussing stuff like RAM, CPUs, HDDs, DVDs and other computer hardware in general, there are an awful lot of TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) and generally are correctly typed using caps. Certain error messages - like the one BondBug is having also are in screaming caps.

lol, larger script. Yes, I agree, even that can be rude, if a person has a history or repeatedly using larger script or caps. I do agree that for specific uses Caps, larger scripts, italics are good like with acronyms. Depending on the context, it's humorous and can convey meaning quickly while being funny. But if a person has a history of using caps to be condescending it's not cool for DarkMatters.

This is really about context and poster history coming across as being too rude.

:)

gogo

Heya,

as always Gogo, you know I am just kidding. I fully understand what you mean, and stand by that 100%!

Good job keeping FDM the cool place it is! :D

Greetz