Melkfett - Milking Grease

We were running out of Melkfett yesterday.

So what is Melkfett?

Melkfett (translates milking fat) was used by farmers for centuries, first to make the udders of cows soft at milking. dry udders may lead to little ruptures at milking and may cause infections. They found different uses for the Melkfett too:

Untrained riders were smearing it on delicate body parts after riding, advanced riders used it to soften and waterproof saddles, you can use it at dry elbows, dry lips, cold protection in ice storms, light sun protection, ...

We use it too to smear it on the red hide parts of our hens once a week (they stay outside even at -15 Celcius), the paws of our dogs before they run on streets which are covered with a mix of ice and salt, as a 'fat glove' before doing dirty work = cleaning pipes of toilets or cutting acidic plants (giant hogweed), ...

So we use it a lot and I am used to buy it in 2 litre plastic buckets at a store for farm supply for 6 euro each, normally...

But the store is 40 miles away and so we thought it would be easier to ask our second daughter to bring a smaller amount from a drug store till we visit the farm supply store for a bigger shopping again. So she entered a drugstore before she drove home from school with the train. She waited till evening when our younger ones were already sleeping. She gave us a small box with 0.05 litres contain and labeled 3.50 euro and then she said to us: "I do not want to know what you are doing with this, but I was told that I should be careful with this, the fat may soften the rubber of condoms." and then she couldn't stop laughing.

Seems the main usage in towns is way different to the one at countryside.

LOL Chattius. That was just awesome. Your lead to the punchline with the most well-written obscure information that us city folks are here reading in suspense...

A great read, friend, thank you for the laugh

:)

gogo

For a while I was like what the heck's that thing. Used of calling it udder cream. In any case, that's some multipurpose stuff there. And indeed, if something is avaible as bulk packs, go for them. Usually a lot cheaper than some drug store goods...

All in all, that punchline really made my day. Damn 'em city folks! And I should label myself as one. :P

• 1 year later...

An institute tested the original Melkfett for cows for human use and it was better than many custommade product for humans. It contains no water,so the mainuse currently is as a cold cream. -9 Celcius and string storm. Unbeatable price/effectiveness ratio

Same for the horse balsam developed for horses, drugstores sell it for human usage now. Muscle relaxing.

Some things just work. That is a good example of it.

Same with the horse balm. Friend's wife uses it for relaxant, as she seems to have nearly chronic problems with shoulder.

Working wonders, I hear. The smell, though, is quite unique. Not in the bad way, just made me wonder my brains out what was smelling, when I visited them. :P

I didn't know this was muscle relaxing...is it really sold commercially in pharmacies there? I'm gonna check to see if anything like that is available here as well. My usual take on this is...if something's too effective or useful, it quickly becomes prescription only, controlled by the feds

:blink:

gogo

• 7 months later...

Hirschtalg -- Deer tallow?

Made my own today: You boil fat from deer and use the creamy result. Used at sports whenever you fear hide rubbing on hide. The delcate places between the legs at marathon or long distance bicycling and other probably censored bodyparts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallow

from the above wiki...

Medicinal

In Germany, deer tallow ("Hirschtalg") is used as a base ingredient in certain salves preferred by athletes to prevent sore skin or blisters.

Wonder if its use/selling it allowed in america?

Many products here, example with some english text...

http://www.magic-sportfood.de/en/Brands/Sport-Nutrition/Xenofit/Xenofit-Special/Xenofit-Second-Skin-Deer-Fat-Sports-Cream.html

• 3 years later...

I just was remembering this post when we were at a super market. A mother with a kid at the age of our twins was buying all vegan stuff. And she was saying no to the kid when it asked for gummy bears because of the gelatine in it. She feared mad cow disease and also disliked to use even leather.

My wife was buying three component washing powder (to mix it ourself because whe have real soft water) and her usually swiss army knife of an ecological stain remover for all the dirty cloth of our kids. The vegan wife -seeing that my wife was buying green products- asked how good the stain remover would be and my wife said: Perfect for me, but not for you!

And then seeing the puzzled face - It's made from the gall of slaughtered bovines. It has a reason that it is named gall soap.

Gallseife_engl-2013.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

Yet another use of the Melkfett/udder cream: smeared on wooden water barriers it stops the growing of algae and sweet water shells. I removed the water barrier to a small rivulet/creek to flood a field with 4 inches of water in hope it freezes. The next ice hall is miles away and costs money and transport time.

Why Melkfett: it is not poisonous so the fish breed isn't affected. But I wouldn't do it if not buying a 10 litre bucket. 3.50 euro for 0.05 litres at a drugstore, ouch ;)

• Like! 1