Considerations on Closed vs. Open, to CM or not to?

Heya,

Will keep this short.

I would like to know if anyone has considered moving to Open net HC?

*afaik; we can export Closed Toons and use them there

*afaik, we would be able to play with CM patch, which I find to be a very big pro; there is tons of new stuff; Legendaries/Sets/Uniques..... even quests!

Maybe this would even revive interest for Darkies. How much active players are there? I cannot name more than 5 :(

What does everyone have to say about this? Is it worth consideration? Does it even work the way I think it does?

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Interesting idea. If the CM Patch would work and we can use our current toons to play online with others I'm up for that. I will however play in a locked server on open net. Allowing only "The Family" into my server.

Interesting idea. If the CM Patch would work and we can use our current toons to play online with others I'm up for that. I will however play in a locked server on open net. Allowing only "The Family" into my server.

Heya,

got most of my Closed toons backed up to SP.

When starting Open, you can pick from those toons.... I tried, but got a port error, so guess I need to open one.

As far as I can see now, it should work... Am fully with you tho on the locked server principle. Could easily be solved by using a common pass.

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Well...I guess its up to the community as a whole. Im still playing closed, guess our times don't match up though barri, haven't seen you lately. But yeah, Im not fussed, I'll still play either way :)

Yah, real shame DB :( We don't get to play together much...

But this is indeed the reason I openend this thread.... If everybody would agree to start playing Open, we could move as a whole. I am not one for making solo decisions :D

But I do think it might be fun to swap.... there will be no more patches, aside from CM.

I think we would have alot of fun collecting all the new stuff.

Greetz

Edit: Using Closed toons: check :D

CM-patch: Check :D

Seems to work properly.... although I think joining servers is different... I cannot see any, but can create.

Edited by Barristan

I was able to see 1 yesterday, with the CM patch installed. I opened 1 myself (after fixing the port forwarding problem) and my girlfriend was able to join.

Yep! Port problem is a bit strange. I have yet to join a game, but can create without problems...

If we would be able to get together, it really might be fun to consider a move.

Greetz

I was able to see 1 yesterday, with the CM patch installed. I opened 1 myself (after fixing the port forwarding problem) and my girlfriend was able to join.

Yep! Port problem is a bit strange. I have yet to join a game, but can create without problems...

If we would be able to get together, it really might be fun to consider a move.

Greetz

I'm willing to play over there, but I really shouldn't do it this month anymore, I have exams starting tomorrow until begin february >_<

Sounds like a cool idea, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to participate for awhile :(

Doing so much wiki work now and need to keep it 'vanilla'. I'm sure at some point I'll be adding the CM-Patch and knowing I wouldn't have to un-install it every time I wanted to go on-line would be great. It'll be a while though as once I finish the Place section of the wiki I think gogo has a few more projects lined up for me

I have been playing CM lately. I wish we could go online with it. I don't know about an all or nothing though. We may have to create a "Playing HC CM in Open Net" thread to announce when we can all get together.

It would be great to have dedicated permanent servers, but I don't know who can do that.

The problem is, if the player that have opened the server crash, everyone will crash too. :(

There is also the matter of massive lag due to distance between two players.

All in all I'll say why not, but only for Team-playing, as most of the D.a.r.k players are inactive now and my other friends still play in Closed-net, and I don't think that they'll jump in Open.

:)

It would be great to have dedicated permanent servers, but I don't know who can do that.

The problem is, if the player that have opened the server crash, everyone will crash too. :(

There is also the matter of massive lag due to distance between two players.

All in all I'll say why not, but only for Team-playing, as most of the D.a.r.k players are inactive now and my other friends still play in Closed-net, and I don't think that they'll jump in Open.

:)

Hmmmm...... When I tried, I had no lag whatsoever, but then again I was alone in a locked server.

What I understand here Woody, is that Open resembles LAN play alot...apart from the 'Local' that is.

For me.... Closed was loads of fun with many Darkies there..... but as we all can see it is slowing down. Playing with the added content from CM would be alot of new fun to me.

Is there really no way we could try and convince Deep Silver to allow the patch on Closed Net? Or at least on a dedicated server?

On another note.... we could see how this will work tonight Woody, IF it works that is... I will be on around 21.30 I hope

At least we would be able to establish an opinion on lag between Netherlands and France.... and make an educated guess on Europe vs. States

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Awhile back during one of the power outages of the servers Loco, Groo, and myself played LAN thru a program called Tunngle. I don't remember the details but maybe Loco does.

Awhile back during one of the power outages of the servers Loco, Groo, and myself played LAN thru a program called Tunngle. I don't remember the details but maybe Loco does.

Tungle worked really well as a LAN over Internet program. It allowed one of us to host for the other 2 without being in an open net environment. like Hamachi only better imo.

Is there really no way we could try and convince Deep Silver to allow the patch on Closed Net? Or at least on a dedicated server?

The last CM we had over at the SIF said a definate no because there was nobody working on Sacred 2 anymore to test the CM patch :(

It seems we may have a new CM on the way shortly, so it wouldn't hurt to ask the question again. A small number of dedicated servers would be so cool but I think there is very little chance tbh.

You can prevent the whole session to be crashed if the hoster gets kicked out by using a dedicated server. This can be created on a seperate machine or on the gamer's pc. As it is a separate task to windows, it won't crash if sacred2 goes down.

CU Marcus

You can prevent the whole session to be crashed if the hoster gets kicked out by using a dedicated server. This can be created on a seperate machine or on the gamer's pc. As it is a separate task to windows, it won't crash if sacred2 goes down.

This is interesting Marcus. How to create this kind of dedicated server exactly ? :)

Heya,

so.. home at a decent time today. Wanna try again tonight Woody?

Greetz

Sure. You have a PM :)

@Marcus : Thanks for the link! Will have to learn how to use now :)

Heya,

we (Woody and me) tested Open Net today, and with surprisingly good results I think :D

Dropped

-Shattersword (legendary version)

-Sopor Aethernis Chest (New seraphim Set)

-New SW set piece (Pandemoniums Pride)

Lag is almost non-existent.... slightly noticable on drops.

Some random things we found:

-Not possible to add to F-list in server, only Lobby.

-Not possible to switch between servers, because of no F-list

-If doing bossruns, server creator must exit last, because he ends the session. You can also F8 to isle to save your items. If you don't progress will not be saved, and items and XP will be lost.

Seems like a good place for bossruns to me! And there is tons of added content :D

Greetz

This great news. and the link from Marcus is interesting. is it sounding as if we could actually create dedicated FDM servers with the CM patch? Must this be a private PC/ internet connection or do you think we could rent time from an internet hoster to create dedicated servers?

is it sounding as if we could actually create dedicated FDM servers with the CM patch?

Should be possible on a webhoster too. You need to install the game there, or at least copy the necassary files...

Sorry, I don't know more about this. I think DevilzReject tried it in 2009: http://forum.sacred2.de/showthread.php?t=63982

And the dedicated server has to use an existing account. He will not block the corresponding user from playing online.

This is all OpenNet, so no replacement for the ClosedNet and it's safety.

CU Marcus