Considerations on Closed vs. Open, to CM or not to?

It might sound weird... please turn your firewall on!

We had several issues without it, so simply turn the windows firewall on and delete all the rules for sacred2. The game will take care of it.

CU Marcus

Heya,

this be sound advice!

I would never consider venturing Open Net without the firewall.... I might be exaggerating things... but it is certainly not Closed Net.

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Well, I'm warming to the idea of Open net.. 5 guardians runs in and I get another legendary (Dagger of the Assassins). Not sure if they count in Open, but I'm claiming it :P

Open seems to be considerably faster creating servers (for obvious reasons), which makes boss runs more enjoyable.

I'm still confused as to why I can't see any servers though. Does that mean no one can see mine?

Giving it another try.

Edit: Well, I tried it again with the firewall up, same error. The game sits there displaying the message "Creating New Game" for a minute or so and then gives the error "Game could not be created"

Edited by Dragon Brother

Lol...well, it appears I can join a game that is hosted by someone else, but not make one.

Sounds like the port forwarding or firewall problem. As your client can listen, but the Server can't talk.

Well, I'm warming to the idea of Open net.. 5 guardians runs in and I get another legendary (Dagger of the Assassins). Not sure if they count in Open, but I'm claiming it :P

Open seems to be considerably faster creating servers (for obvious reasons), which makes boss runs more enjoyable.

I'm still confused as to why I can't see any servers though. Does that mean no one can see mine?

ofc they count! :D

And them servers.... yup, they are a tad bit weird.... I 'think' servers were never created as they are in Closed. I can however see servers that are created by players... (Woody/Loco/Furian sofar) I dare say I could see yours too..... but then again... you play at such strange time of day ;)

Faster? For sure! I am mostly below 50ms if I made the server. If I join it goes up as far as 500ms average for a server created on the other side of the world.

Greetz

@DB, if you opened the port (on router if you have one) and made no mistakes in your IP number... and did not change the 1077... then I am out if ideas... Maybe others that know more about this can help you out. Maybe start a new thread about it? So people see it better/more.

Edited by Barristan

If I well remember, Ascaron never created any servers in Open-net.

And, it seems, that I'm the only one that get looooong times to create a serv in Open-Net. :sigh:

@DB : try this maybe :

:crazy:

1. Open the window near you

2. Take your PC in your hands

3. Throw everything related to your PC by the window

4. Be Happy

:viking:

Edited by Woody

Try a port scan: http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

1) enter 7011 behind "Scan this list of port numbers"

2) don't hit "Scan" now

3) start sacred2

4) switch to windowed mode and lowest resolution

5) make sure you can see and reach both windows

6) start a lan game, not opennet !

7) as soon as the game runs switch to your browser and hit scan

If you get "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is responding on port 7011 (talon-disc)." your router is configured correctly.

If you get "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx isn't responding on port 7011 (talon-disc)." your forwarding rules need a review.

Info:

german c't security advice: http://www.heise.de/security/dienste/Port-Scans-475179.html

CU Marcus

And them servers.... yup, they are a tad bit weird.... I 'think' servers were never created as they are in Closed. I can however see servers that are created by players... (Woody/Loco/Furian sofar) I dare say I could see yours too..... but then again... you play at such strange time of day ;)

Furian mentioned he could see your servers in the same way. I figured there are no servers hosted remotely, but I would assume if there's anyone playing I would be able to see their servers. I've never even seen one. Perhaps I'll do a test with my other account.

Try a port scan: http://www.t1shopper...ools/port-scan/

1) enter 7011 behind "Scan this list of port numbers"

2) don't hit "Scan" now

3) start sacred2

4) switch to windowed mode and lowest resolution

5) make sure you can see and reach both windows

6) start a lan game, not opennet !

7) as soon as the game runs switch to your browser and hit scan

If you get "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is responding on port 7011 (talon-disc)." your router is configured correctly.

If you get "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx isn't responding on port 7011 (talon-disc)." your forwarding rules need a review.

Info:

german c't security advice: http://www.heise.de/...ans-475179.html

CU Marcus

Well, I got the message that my router is responding on port 701, still no luck creating a game though.

Edited by Dragon Brother

Warning - It's not a good idea to use two account in Open & LAN, last time I did it the two characted I used got corrupted...

Furian mentioned he could see your servers in the same way. I figured there are no servers hosted remotely, but I would assume if there's anyone playing I would be able to see their servers. I've never even seen one. Perhaps I'll do a test with my other account.

Warning - It's not a good idea to use two account in Open & LAN, last time I did it the two characted I used got corrupted...

That makes some sense, it is writing to the same save files. Perhaps I'll run it on another PC.

Either that, or they overwrite eachother.... had that happen once too.

Greetz

• 2 months later...

Are any of you guys still playing in open?

I'm tempted to give this a go :)

I tryed it for a bit, but the lag was kind of troublesome for me

(unless I hosted). I have been exploring CM a lot lately. I think Tunngle had less lag than open tbh.

Thanks Loco, that doesn't sound very promising then. It's a shame as I haven't tried the CM patch yet.

IT really is worth checking out. for LAN or Single player it is awesome. lots of new content, many bugs are fixed. and the game runs smooth on local host.