No Sound

Furian67

Ok tech folk, got me a problem here. Last night when I went to bed everything was fine as far as sound went. Ingame and out. I don't turn off my computer usually. When I got up this morning I turned on my Receiver and TV, woke the computer up, turned Sacred on and noticed right away on the login screen that I had no sound. Reciever is on and everything is plugged in. Sound is activated for ingame. I log off and try iTunes and same thing. No sound. I switch my reciever to radio and its fine. I checked my control panel and it says the sound card is working fine.:)

Now what do I do?

Sounds like you got unplugged somehow. Check all the easy stuff first even if it seems silly. is it plugged in? etc. it could have been loose and just finally worked out of the plug

I checked the connection at the back of the receiver. And the computer, they are good. Even twisted the connection to make sure.

Results.... no change

Reboot the PC? Maybe your soundcard was set to sleep and simply doesn't follow the command to wake up correctly?

CU Marcus

I rebooted the PC and ran CClener, and updated and ran Registry Mechanic, Checked that the sound cards driver is updated too.

Results.... no change

PC volume turned down or muted?

Check the pc volume, its up 100%, check for mute on pc and receiver, both are good. Keyboard has no shortcut buttons.

Results.... no change

Whats next?

Can my sound card be saying its fine when its actually burned out?

Can you test the audio cards output using headphones? If headphones work then you'll know it's either the wire to the receiver or the receiver. If headphones don't work then it's the card or pc settings. Have a look at your volume as well. The small volume controller on your desktop taskbar that is. Click on it once to see the volume slider. You should be seeing a grey and green bar going up and down when sound is being played. I know there's a word for that but can't remember... If there's no moving bar then right click on the volume icon and choose playback devices. Make sure the correct device is set to default. You can set different devices to default by right clicking on a device and choosing to set as default. The device that is default in the list will have a green checkmark.

Good luck!

Seems I have/had two issues. One that I found was I fat fingered the remote last night for the reciever and switched way too many options that a fatter finger than mine could create.

Results.... now can play music with the same connection using my iphone.

Original issue still exists. By hooking my iphone up I was able to test the connecter and the reciever. Those work. My built in sound card still is on vacation.

Question. In the task manager under services.... what service needs to be running for sound? My sound card itself still says that it is running fine.

Seems I have/had two issues. One that I found was I fat fingered the remote last night for the reciever and switched way too many options that a fatter finger than mine could create.

Original issue still exists. By hooking my iphone up I was able to test the connecter and the reciever. Those work. My built in sound card still is on vacation.

Question. In the task manager under services.... what service needs to be running for sound? My sound card itself still says that it is running fine.

With your iphone headphones plugged in to the head phone jack on the computer try muting and unmuting all the volume controls on the computers mixer in the volume control. Sometimes it can show as unmuted but is stuck in mute. Maritza's laptop does this all the time.

Have you considered trying a cheap set of external speakers?

I can't afford food right now. Hence the Indian Flat Bread Breakfast Pizza.

External speakers are not an option. I often play with the sound off when we are boss hunting for example and Woody is blowing everything up with his Glacial Shards. With sound off I don't lag. But it's my "Choice" to turn it off. I don't like the fact that the sound decided on it's own to take a break.

Have you considered trying a cheap set of external speakers?

I can't afford food right now. Hence the Indian Flat Bread Breakfast Pizza.

External speakers are not an option. I often play with the sound off when we are boss hunting for example and Woody is blowing everything up with his Glacial Shards. With sound off I don't lag. But it's my "Choice" to turn it off. I don't like the fact that the sound decided on it's own to take a break.

Ok.. I can relate to that situation - but I was thinking maybe someone you know might have a pair they could loan you for a few mins.

The idea here is to diagnose whether or not the port you've got your sound system plugged into is working properly or not.

Seems I have/had two issues. One that I found was I fat fingered the remote last night for the receiver and switched way too many options that a fatter finger than mine could create.

Original issue still exists. By hooking my iphone up I was able to test the connector and the receiver. Those work. My built in sound card still is on vacation.

With your iphone headphones plugged in to the head phone jack on the computer try muting and unmuting all the volume controls on the computers mixer in the volume control. Sometimes it can show as unmuted but is stuck in mute. Maritza's laptop does this all the time.

Hoozaa Way to go Bro, using my iphone head phones I checked each jack in the back of the computer. I can't just read the icon because there isn't any, just colored jacks. Back when I got a new sound card a PNY GeForce GTS 250 it wouldn't fit into my mini tower. So new tower not from Dell. Icon gone. Anyway I digress, I plugged the headphones into each jack until I found the one making sound. Woowoo

Come to find out last night as I said earlier I had fat fingered the control really bad screwing up a bunch of the settings. While looking at the whole thing I had reinstalled the jack into the wrong hole. Woops I slipped sorry. Once I got the receiver working again the computer just needed the jack plugged in correctly.

Thank you to everyone that has posted trying to help.