Indian Flat Bread Breakfast Pizza

Well, the cupboards are getting empty so its time to see what I got. I have a full bag of Whole wheat flour. (Good for you gogo) Got sea salt, (no iodine). Got olive oil. Cheese, breakfast sausage, and fire roasted tomatoes with garlic. So I get on the internet,Indian Flatbread , and tried this recipe out last night. Went pretty well.....except for the fire alarm going off, had the heat too high while cooking the patties.

So today I decide to go for it.

1.5 cups Whole wheat flour

1 tsp salt

1 tbs olive oil

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 onion

serving size of breakfast sausage ie fistful

cracked fresh pepper

garlic powder

Finely Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese

Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic

I mixed the flour and salt, made a crater in middle, added the oil and warm water that I had premixed. Why the crater in the middle of the flour? No idea but the pros said to and I like playing in my food. I mixed this all up with my hands till it started to get sticky on my fingers but was still really soft. Let it sit for 15 minutes while the oven was heating up with a cooking stone inside. Like this Cooking Stone but mine is round like a pizza should be. Once the oven and stone were warmed up to 400 degrees, why 400? no idea it's just what I decided on, I sprinkled some flour out on the counter and rolled the dough out. Using my hands, did I already say I like playing with my food, I spread the dough out to about 9 inches round. Then picked it up and laid it on the back of my hands. Any other way would have ripped it. All of this is just coming off the top of my head I swear. By gentle lifting my hands in the air and slightly spreading them apart I got the flat bread dough spread out evenly to about 12 inches. Holding it draped across my arm I floured the counter so it wouldn't stick. Laid it down and spread it out. Got the stone out of the oven and wiped olive oil over the surface of the stone. Laying the dough on this with a light spread of oil on top. Into the oven it went for about 5-10 minutes. Lost track of the time actually as I was fighting off some Harbingers of Death in the Blood Forest, meanwhile into the skillet I cut some onion. Let that cook in olive oil till they soften, out of the pan they go. Into the skillet comes the breakfast sausage, Jimmy Dean's Original actually. Browned that and chopped it up so its all fairy separated.

Pulling the stone and flat bread out of the oven I flip the flatbread over and coat the top with olive oil and garlic powder. Spread out the onions, sausage, and Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic then added some fresh cracked pepper. Over the top of all this a spread about 1.5 to 2 cups of Finely Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese. Back into the oven for 20 minutes.

Surprisingly it turned out very tasty.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Edited by Furian67
  • Like! 1

Oh yum. What a cool idea. Just look in the cupboards and then see what can be made of it. Dang that makes me hungry. :drool: Think you'll make another? Maybe build on the recipe and do it differently somehow?

I'll have to think of something without any milk product. No cheese. Or do they make a soy cheese? Dang this thing could get health. I know the whole wheat flour is really healthy.

I think I may try it out with spelt flour instead wheat. Is spelt already common in america in bigger amounts? I wrote something about our last self made bread here:

Inglenook: day at the baking house

I think it is funny that many old corn variants which nearly got forgotten because they contain less energy now become popular again: less energy = more undigestable fibres = better for health. Farmers in our area never stopped growing Dinkel(spelt), Hirse(millet) or Buchweizen(buckwheat). The corn is grown in chopped forests so big machines won't work. So they stayed individual and produced mainly for their families and neighbours.

I can get whole cleaned spelt for nearly the same price as whole wheat, so I prefer spelt. With this health wave I think it is time to look for some ancient family recipes again: our feared hessian kitchen suddenly became popular in germany.

hand cheese: traditional only 1-5% fat

Sauerkraut

spelt instead wheat

marinated meat

A corn field in our area looks like this:

1972.jpg

traditional hauberg farming:

A hauberg (hew hill) is a hill with forest. Each year another part of the forest is coppiced. Young trees are cut of their bark (which is used for leather tanning), the leaves are left for fertilizer or cow food, the twigs are used for heating houses or baking houses, the trunks are chopped for charcoal (for nearby steel industry, now for barbescue). The roots remain in the ground and will create new trees more quickly(coppicing). Between this tree stumps corn is sawed. A long variant and not a short one (short ones are optimized for harvest machines, less waste = stray prodced). The long stray can be used to make roofs for houses.

So here the modern corn variants never came in big usage. Even the cows are a small breed which reaches back to the celts 2000+ years ago. They were used instead horses, able to feed on tree leaves, cow hooves are better in hilly terrain, cows can give milk,...

923a-2u.jpg

Many students visit the old haubergs now, because with peak oil wood pellets heating becomes an alternative in countries with less sunshine for solar energy. The old nothing is wasted is discussed for:

stray for bio ethanol

wood for wood pellets heating

Spelt and other old corn variants can be sold for higher prices if declared bio-food. So harvesting with a sickle (high man-cost) is countered by high porices for bio-food.

Whow, long speaking for just saying that I plan the recipe with spelt ;)

.................oops, sorry, I got distracted by the fine looking ladies in the pic above ! ;)

Wow, that's one hell of a breakfast. Beats the hell outta my bowl o' cereal !

If only I wasn't so lazy..........Hmmm, if I could by one ready made, then I would breakfast like a king, lol !

Steve. :)

Holee molee, Furian, that is just amazing work here! And so much of it all coming from your own creativity....lol, dunno if I have the guts for this kind of stuff...but you made it sound easy, and the results just speak for themselves.

An impressive first date dinner?

:)

gogo

p.s. Ike, a member of our clan from Ogame, got him self a cooking stone once too, I think he published a post about that too, the results were just as exciting.