Weather Report: Warning Warning; It's Freakin Cold Out There!

I awoke today full of wonderful things I had in mind to do. I got me a bowl of cereal, read up on all of the latest and greatest, (Here at FDM of course!) and browsed the net while happily crunching away on my Harvest Crunch cereal when all of the sudden... Out of the corner of my left eye I noticed something red on my second screen. "Hmmmm..." I thought. "There isn't supposed to be anything red there..." I turned my attention to the source of this uninviveted red guest for which it was sitting right on top of my weather gadget. "Uh oh..." It read; WARNING "Oh blast" Juuuust above that red nuisance read -20°C. Ok that's cold but what you may not know is that this lil gadget never displays the temperature with wind chill fatcored in. Sooo... I dragged my mouse over to the tiny arrow on my gadget that will expand it and reveal the true horror of this red warning.

Minus 28°C folks. That's -28°C! And it's still January! :oooo: February is generally our cold month, eh heh. I'm goin back to bed. Wake me in March. ^^

Seriously though. Today should be interesting. I really do need to go out. I guess I'll be wearing all my coats today. Yeesh! 4f6e06a392cb8f40.gif

I'm with you on that Schot. Think it was Saturday that I woke and my temp gadget on my wall for indoor and outdoors read 66.5 degrees F inside and outside temp was - 6 degrees F. So thats -21C and I don't think thats wind chill factor.

If you don't already know this, and you probably do living in Canada. When I was in Antarctica I learned that when it's really cold, like we are speaking about and much worse (I've had to work on Aircraft outdoors in -90 degrees F or -67.78 degree Celsius). You have to breathe differently. In through your mouth and out the nose. Actually slightly open mouth with the tip of your tongue against the back of the upper teeth. Diverting airflow around to the side of the tongue. This helps warm up the air before it hits you nice warm lungs. And shorter breathes more often. So that the cold air doesn't go too deep in, causing you to cough. Out through the nose, to help keep it warm from the exhaled warm air. Also trying to breath in through the nose may cause the mucus to freeze. Trust me this is not a comfortable situation to happen.

And at these temps keep the exposed skin covered. Use of layered clothing is what ya want. And the moment you walk inside shed some layers. People that keep wearing their outerwear inside will not get accustomed to the cold. That just makes it seem even colder when they go out again.

I could tell cold weather stories all day from my experience on the Ice.

Ooooh. I love those stories. :D A few of my high school friends lived in Whitehorse Yukon and I remember one story in particular that they told about how they could hear their spit crackle as it flew through the air and froze before even hitting the ground. That place can get deadly cold!

Your story about breathing properly in the cold reminds me of a cold night hear a couple of weeks ago. It was so cold it hurt to breath. I was instinctively doing what you described. Mostly I was holding my breath along the way home so I wouldn't have to suck in much cold air. After that night I made sure to always have a scarf on. Brrrr...

P.s.

That's so cool that you were in Antarctica. Must be like an alien world out there. ^^

I always enjoy those stories too. Being an Aircraft enthusiast, I really enjoyed the story furian told about the C-130 that broke down up on the mountain ice cap and had to be repaired in the snow to get it flyable to get back to the base for "real" repairs. that must have been cool, ans scary.

well between me and Furian we got the poles covered :)

I was stationed above the Arctic Circle for 6 months while in the Navy. I remember triple digit wind chills...I can't imagine trying to deal with that now :o

lol, Furian... schot was talking about your post and reciting your instructions like a mantra as we hit up our street for various sundry and quick/energy snack bars before we scooted home.

All about layers.

Can hardly wait for summer.

And to all you happy, toasty warm people in sunny Australia

whatever

:mafia:

gogo

It was really cold during all this weekend, and I had to move 15 miles away from Montreal yesterday. I'm glad there was not a lot of snow or wind, 'cause we'd be having a hard time moving all the furniture. But everything went ok, and now it's behind us.

But tonight they were forecasting -30°C, I think they said it would be the coldest night since like 10 years.

Max

Edited by Flooxim

-15 F(no blowing wing thank God). . .yeah, definitely not sunbathing weather. When the average snowfall of the area is a heck of a lot more than the North and South Poles combined. . .it makes Winter. . .interesting. . .

Edited by Graeystone

Nothing like starting the day at -10F (-23C) with a wind chill of -30F (-33C) :o

So who wants to come with me to my job site (frozen swamp) and hang out for the day? High is supposed to get to around 10F (-12C). And no, you cannot borrow my new booties :D

I remember doing this with hot (not boiling) water while up in the Arctic Circle

http://www.weather.c...er-at--22-19419

I am lucky. My most extreme was just -17C with a mild wind at 121km/h while being in the army. We did an army maneuvre in the surrounding of the Brocken, german harz area. The Brocken is known from Goethe's Faust. Also it featured the worlds first TV tower and live broadcasting in 1935. Being in former eastern germany it was used till 1994 by russians to spy radio transfers.

We were informed that 3 families of tourists with kids ignored an evacuation warning. The shape of the Brocken often causes heavy storms on top hill, while near bottom it is only a strong wind. Record wind speed at Brocken is 263km/h and this not because of a tornado or hurricane. We were able to recover them all alive. 2 families were smart enough to hide in an old basement near top hill. The third tried to walk down and was surprised by the storm. Once localized we called for a Unimog to drive them down. Happened before cellular phones came in broad usage.

Many tourists have fun to walk in storm at the Brocken. But evacuation warnings normally have a meaning.

when I left for work today at5:15am it was -15f to -22f (different readings at diff points in the valley) with the windchill making it about -30f to -40f out (thats -34 c to - 40 c ).... my car started grudingly and complained mightly for 5 minutes (very rough idle and hard cranking to start). it was so cold the INSIDE of my windshield frosted over. scrapers dont work on the inside of the windshield and I didnt think the spray defroster was a good idea inside the car so I drove to work peaking out the large gap in the frosting at the top of my windshield. Just as I pulled into work 15 minutes later the air from the blowers was starting to blow warm enough to clear the windshield.

I really dont like winter anymore.

Its supposed to warm up this week. Thats so it can snow and then I've heard rumors the temps will dip back down again... :-(

Anyone who can spare some sun and warmth can you send it up to the northeast via fed ex? I'll sign for it just as soon as I can feel my fingers enough to work a pen....

• Like! 1

It was really cold during all this weekend, and I had to move 15 miles away from Montreal yesterday. I'm glad there was not a lot of snow or wind, 'cause we'd be having a hard time moving all the furniture. But everything went ok, and now it's behind us.

But tonight they were forecasting -30°C, I think they said it would be the coldest night since like 10 years.

Max

max, you moved out of MOntreal? holee molee in this weather? I hope it was for fantastic rent dude, I don't think, when the weather was totally subzero anyone could have paid me mad money to go out the door!

:lol:

gogo