Wiki Buttons - New Wiki Front page courtesy of Dreeft and Munera

Well, the wiki's front page was needing an overhaul. When we first put it together a few years ago, it was cool for it's time, with Schot's two big images of the two games facing new comers to Sacred's hallowed database. We've been wanting to put some changes into it for a while, and while the old page was cool to look at, it just didn't have the links we needed for readers to access more quickly the parts of the wiki they wanted to.

After taking a look around at some of the other game wiki's out there, and seeing some ideas we liked, we asked Dreeft if, when he had some time, he could cobble together some buttons for us as content drivers that would link directly from the wiki's index page.

We've all been really busy these last few weeks, what with CM Patch, new skin, forum upgrades...it never stops eh? ^^

However Dreeft got the buttons together, and today, with some expert formatting help from Munera, our up and coming Wiki Pages Engineer, the new page is in place and from here we'll be able to add more links and panels to it as part of our facelift.

Thank you Dreeft and Munera!

www.sacredwiki.org

wikibuttons.jpg

:)

gogo

It looks very nice. Love the new buttons - but I'm thinking we can do with a couple more. One for the new CM Patch related content. And of course, one for the Easter Egg page. Can't forget that one given the amount of work and effort we've all put into that one. It should be a showcase page, up front and center.

I'm also noticing that there are two buttons that aren't Sacred 2 related - the Sacred 1 and Sacred 3 buttons. Of course, we have no data on Sacred 3 as yet since it's still being written. But we do have a fairly comprehensive collection of S1 stuff - characters, guides, and such. Might be a good idea to show some iconic love to S1 and maybe put some S1 buttons together?

There's also the map button... It links to the Sacred 2 Map - which is fine on it's own - but if someone were to be looking for Sacred 1's map, it might lead to confusion given the button only says "Map". Maybe it might be a good idea to relabel that one "Sacred 2 Map"?

Speaking of the S1 map, it's still lingering on Maplib... Any plans to relocate it to the DM/SacredWiki servers? It should be a lot easier to host given there aren't quite as many points of interest. Just wondering as I never quite saw an answer to this question...

And finally... Wouldn't it be a good idea to, perhaps, duplicate the icons in question on the home page of the game in question? For instance, since all but 2 of those icons link to Sacred 2 content, maybe put all but the S1 and S3 buttons on the Sacred 2 landing page.

Just my first impressions looking at the new stuff.. Good job guys..

Noticed that new main page layout yesterday, but since there wasn't this topic, I didn't comment on it. And now all the critiques are said already. My first thought was the same Ysne had - why did they link to the picture page? They look like buttons, so all the users expect them to work as such, but clicking them results in... well, you've got it without explanation.

And all the things Wolfie said above are more than right too. Where is the CM button? While all the other things are well known already, CM is still developing and is the main source of fresh news.

Speaking of news, why all the messages on wiki's main page are not just old, but ve-e-ery old? I know that there are no official news from Deep Silver to announce, but we have our own news, don't we? Wiki is constanly developing, so we may announce new articles to read. Wolfie frequently discovers new Easter Eggs, so we may pay readers' attention to them too. After all, there are new pages I made for the brand new CM legendaries and uniques. All these facts (though they are related to wiki) are widely announced of forums, but not on the wiki itself.

lol thx for the publicity gogo ^^ but this is all thanks to dreeft skilled labor. I just resized his buttons and... did the dirty work :D

Btw, there was an odd thing with the picture link at first. This can be useful for those interested in linking pics. In this case, when we tried to link X page to X pic (X pic means [[image]] or www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Image), we linked it not to the pic, but to the article were the pic is host. So to get the right link, you have to go to the article, http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Image:Sacred2.png for instance, and then click on the picture http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/2/21/Sacred2.png) lol it was so easy at the end :P

Noticed that new main page layout yesterday, but since there wasn't this topic, I didn't comment on it. And now all the critiques are said already. My first thought was the same Ysne had - why did they link to the picture page? They look like buttons, so all the users expect them to work as such, but clicking them results in... well, you've got it without explanation.

And all the things Wolfie said above are more than right too. Where is the CM button? While all the other things are well known already, CM is still developing and is the main source of fresh news.

Speaking of news, why all the messages on wiki's main page are not just old, but ve-e-ery old? I know that there are no official news from Deep Silver to announce, but we have our own news, don't we? Wiki is constanly developing, so we may announce new articles to read. Wolfie frequently discovers new Easter Eggs, so we may pay readers' attention to them too. After all, there are new pages I made for the brand new CM legendaries and uniques. All these facts (though they are related to wiki) are widely announced of forums, but not on the wiki itself.

I'll second Silver Fox's comment regarding the news. What's there is...well..Ancient history at this point. Having such out of date stuff makes the wiki look like it's not exactly being maintained nor updated... It looks abandoned and stale. And nothing could be further from the truth with all the work we busy beavers have been put into it in the last 6 months or so.

The blurb about the CM Patch dates back to almost a year ago (March 30, 2010)! It's generic and doesn't say much of anything about what's currently going on with it. The stuff going back to 2008 - needs to be archived. 2.34? Please.. We've since had 2.40, 2.43, and the Ice and Blood release and the two patches for that. No mention of those on the front page. The Survival Bonus article was last modified over a year ago. I'm sure there are newer articles out there that could be featured.

lol thx for the publicity gogo ^^ but this is all thanks to dreeft skilled labor. I just resized his buttons and... did the dirty work :D

Btw, there was an odd thing with the picture link at first. This can be useful for those interested in linking pics. In this case, when we tried to link X page to X pic (X pic means [[image]] or www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Image), we linked it not to the pic, but to the article were the pic is host. So to get the right link, you have to go to the article, http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Image:Sacred2.png for instance, and then click on the picture http://www.sacredwiki.org/images/2/21/Sacred2.png) lol it was so easy at the end :P

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Munera, last night we were really having a headache with those links. We actually had to hit up a lot of other wiki's to see how they were coding, but it wasn't working on our site. Schot finally was saying that he did have a method, but it was on the complicated side, and he wanted to find something that was going to work easier for everyone.

You have cracked the code, and now the pix link nicely... I'm hoping this code can be used elsewhere in Wiki easily, which would help ever since we changed linking process from bucket to database proper.

And everyone else who has posted, thanks for commentary. Yeah, the buttons are sharp, and we like the way this impacts the front page by letting readers have a smaller summary of the hottest topics in Wiki before settling on the larger one next page in.

Regarding new buttons, we can possibly put in another five, and we'll definitely add in Easter Eggs and CM Patch, Places which leaves us with two more. We'll check out our google stats and let the popularity of the reader's choices decide the other two.

Regarding news, yeah it's old, but the system we have in place to put up new news articles is such a pain. If anyone wants to add new news bulletins to the wiki regarding all the great new projects please go for it!

:bounce:

gogo

haha, How'd I miss this thread :)

Glad you like them gogo. Much thanks for putting them into the wiki Munera.

Let me know when we need some more.

Nicely done Dreeft. And Munera, don't know how you do it with all that coding mumbo jumbo stuff. I would love to help with wiki stuff but the coding and trying to get things where I want them sets my head spinning and I give up on it. Great job both of you.

I would love to help with wiki stuff

muhahah

yer soul is ours!

:devil:

gogo

p.s. Well, let me come up with some cool stuff and make a list for everyone maybe? Lately there's been so much going on with so many teams,it's been a ton of fun and made me realize that the resolution of SacredWiki is relatively infinite. We can document and describe forever!

evah!