CM Patch Dual Wield Set Suggestion

Ok, after some discussion (mainly between me and silverfox) in the blowpipe set suggestion thread we have come up with the following for a dual wield based set in remembrance of Drizzt Do'Urden the drow of forgotten realm fame:

Set name - Remnants of Drizzt

Twinkle - 1h scimitar - dex based

Magic Damage (Normal damage when compared to same type of weapon)

+Critical Hit x%

-Chance opponents cannot evade (Dual Wielding) x%

+experience x%

+ All skills/Dual Wielding...not sure which one, + all skills may make this sword a bit overpowered compared to others.

1 gold socket

Icingdeath - 1h scimitar - dex based

Ice Damage (High ice percentage, high damage to account for the more defensive item modifiers on it)

+Fire mitigation (high value?) (Dual Wielding) x%

+Ice Damage x% (Bit higher than normal to add to the damage a bit)

+Chance to freeze x%

1 gold socket

Mielikki's Grace - Amulet

+HP xx

+Constitution/Vitality xx

Guenhwyvar's Refuge - Ring

+Dexterity +Offensive Skills xx

+Attack Speed x%

Set bonus

2 pieces: Damage +x%

3 pieces: -Regen time x%

4 pieces: +Chance to evade x%

Most of it is just based on the described attributes of him, his weapons and his patron goddess and companion guenhwyvar (I linked to a few wiki pages describing them if any of you are interested)...I dont think its too overpowered...hopefully the ideas are at least possible to do...what do you guys think, do you have any suggestions regarding balance...it will possibly need tweaking down some.

Conversation was mostly as follows:

I think that unique weapons have pretty similar bonus lists to these, I tried to stay within those sort of item modifiers and the random yellow ones are limited to one less modifier and so are worse off.

I saw a lot of yellow weapons with more than one bonus (one yellow bonus and something else), I have a yellow longbow with All Skills +x, Attack +x% and Fire Damage +x% at the same time.

By the way, maybe some Ice Damage +x% or Magic Damage +x% would be nice to see somewhere in this Dual Wielding set. It's just a common modifier which you can find on many items, but it may work nicely. How about something like +Skills on one sword and +Damage on the other one. It may make people want to use the whole set. If one sword would be better, many people would use it together with something not from this set. But if these swords would work better while together than while you have only one of them, it would be really nice.

The ice sword has ice damage +x%, I didnt have the x% bit added in which may have been confusing, I added those all in now. The other one could lose a socket for +x All skills and maybe a 2 piece set bonus of +Damage x% (all channel damage)...?

The ice sword has ice damage +x%, I didnt have the x% bit added in which may have been confusing, I added those all in now. The other one could lose a socket for +x All skills and maybe a 2 piece set bonus of +Damage x% (all channel damage)...?

As for the skills, it may be either +x All skills and lose socket, or +x Dual Wielding with the socket. All channel damage could make a nice bonus for using two swords. By the way, how about moving this discussion (about Dual Wielding set) to another topic? Looks like this one became a place to suggest new sets, not set bonus, and not only for Dryad.

Edited by Dragon Brother

I like this :) I would definitely give it a go if I were to play a DW Seraphim. I would still buff up the 2 swords a little bit, or at least the first one, Twinkle. Since I like to compare everything with Boneslicer/Kaldur/Officer's, I think those swords are a little underclassed. + All skills is ok, but you can get twice as much by socketing 2 items into an officer's saber, and if you shop well, you'll get 2/3 of + All Skills/Crit/Cannot evade on the same socketable, leaving you with a better Officer's Saber than the set item.

The rest is great in my opinion. Not very overpowered, but still quite useful AND worth using :) Good work, Dragon Brother!

Edited by Dobri

I like this :) I would definitely give it a go if I were to play a DW Seraphim. I would still buff up the 2 swords a little bit, or at least the first one, Twinkle. Since I like to compare everything with Boneslicer/Kaldur/Officer's, I think those swords are a little underclassed. + All skills is ok, but you can get twice as much by socketing 2 items into an officer's saber, and if you shop well, you'll get 2/3 of + All Skills/Crit/Cannot evade on the same socketable, leaving you with a better Officer's Saber than the set item.

The rest is great in my opinion. Not very overpowered, but still quite useful AND worth using :) Good work, Dragon Brother!

What would you add then to make them a little stronger? Officers saber would have twice as many +all skills and crit/cannot evade with the one socket left which is true, however officers saber doesnt give you a set bonus, which must also be considered.

Well, why not something simple as a generous amount of +% XP per kill? It will not be groundbreaking at all and it will serve as additional value in this set. +% XP per kill is very sought after especially at high levels, because it shortens the leveling time, which will make the set useful even on level 150+.

Well, why not something simple as a generous amount of +% XP per kill? It will not be groundbreaking at all and it will serve as additional value in this set. +% XP per kill is very sought after especially at high levels, because it shortens the leveling time, which will make the set useful even on level 150+.

So are you suggesting that twinkle could have +experience, +all skills, +crit, -evade, 1gold socket then?

Yes. It's a subtle buff to the sword, but still a good one. It will not make it much more powerful, but it will make it much more useful both in short and long run.

This set sound good to me, at least this one is not too much superoverpowered...

But I think it would be better to don't give it same droprates as legendaries, tier 14 or droprate like nikotaste's sword should be good (at least for me).

Good idea DB! I wish same gloves can't be used for all classes... would have been funny!

:)

Edited by Woody

Don't forget his empowered anklets/boots! (Don't remember what they're traits were, I think something about increasing his running speed)

cheers!

I thought about those, but seeing as its a weapon set adding bracers would mean limiting it to one class, so I left them out.

I agree woody, they need to be rare, but not impossible to find.

I'm glad to see that this set finally got its own discussion. looks like more people could pay attention to it now.

Speaking of speed, how about adding 'Increasing all speed types' or at least Running Speed. For example we may add it to the Ice sword. I know that this bonus looks a bit strange on the weapon, but the ring is powerful enough already, and this sword looks a bit weaker than the other one (from what we have now, it's just a good Ice weapon, with no special bonus nor bonus to another weapon that would be used together with it).

@Dobri:

While comparing all the new swords to Boneslicer, we should remember, that it is a legendary (and the set items are more of unique ones). After all, the chance to get a set item as a quest reward is quite high if you complete many quests. And the chance to get a legendary sword... Well, you get it for the Undead Legion quest, but it happens once in a difficulty (I'm speaking about campaign mod, but many people play it too).

Edited by Silver_fox

You make a strong point here, Silver_fox. I agree that the hierarchy should be maintained and kept in mind when creating something. I personally like the set as it is and would certainly use it if I find all the pieces - but still, the more useful a set is, the better chances that people will start looking for it and using it - and this is why I proposed to add some XP to it, because it's a very sought after modifier after a certain point. There is no need to create a set for collectors' value in the personal/shared stash :)

I agree about the experience bonus... after all I'm the one who puts +x% experience amulets into almost all the items I have. It's not a very big addition here. From what we have now I really like this magical sword. The Ice one looks somewhat weaker now. The ring is powerful enough for the ring too. The amulet is not a very powerful one, but all the sets have more and less powerful items.

What would you add then to make them a little stronger? Officers saber would have twice as many +all skills and crit/cannot evade with the one socket left which is true, however officers saber doesnt give you a set bonus, which must also be considered.

There's one class that won't EVER see the set bonus - mainly because he's handicapped with only one arm with that patented kung-fu grip - the Temple Guardian. Which is probably why a dual wielding set wasn't ever done before.

There's one class that won't EVER see the set bonus - mainly because he's handicapped with only one arm with that patented kung-fu grip - the Temple Guardian. Which is probably why a dual wielding set wasn't ever done before.

2 and 3 -piece completion boni? :D

As much as I love the TG, he won't miss a whole lot without the second weapon or a little bit of evasion. Not enough to scap this idea because he "misses out", IMO. (I don't think you were nay-saying, Wolfie... but I thought of him as well when I read this).

But lightsabers using Willpower for damage bonus is a huge boon for him (even though the seraphim can abuse it better... DW, FTW)

Wait, Wolfie. After all there is a polearm set Bratgrimace's Legacy, though TG can't use polearms, and shield set Kira's Protection, though not TG nor Inquisitor can use shields. So I see nothing wrong with creating a Dual Wielding set though not TG nor HE can pick this skill. By the way, there is a set based on SW's special 2-handed hammers and there is going to be Dryad's special set with the blowpipe. Nobody complains about the fact that these sets are for one class only.

Edited by Silver_fox

I'm glad to see that this set finally got its own discussion. looks like more people could pay attention to it now.

Speaking of speed, how about adding 'Increasing all speed types' or at least Running Speed. For example we may add it to the Ice sword. I know that this bonus looks a bit strange on the weapon, but the ring is powerful enough already, and this sword looks a bit weaker than the other one (from what we have now, it's just a good Ice weapon, with no special bonus nor bonus to another weapon that would be used together with it).

I dont know...the speed bonus he got was from the bracers that chareos mentioned that he wore as anklets so adding the speed bonus to something else doesnt make sense, also, having 2 swords one a little better, one a little worse than normal and two jewellery pieces the same way kinda balances out more, especially seeing as there are (so far) 3 suggested set bonuses

2 and 3 -piece completion boni? :D

Yeah...wasnt so sure about that, but it was a way to add another bonus to make the set more useful without making the pieces themselves overpowered.

'2 and 3 piece completion boni' is a really good idea. It makes the set useful even if it's not complete. By the way, what's wrong with 3-piece bonus? All HE's sets gave the first bonus with 3 items equipped. And for this set, it may make people really use both swords, since they do extra-damage while together.

As for the second sword, how much Ice Damage are you planning? It seems underpowered with the simple amount you may find on the blue items, but if the amount of the damage added would be somewhat like Sword of the Blood Dryads adds to the fire damage, it would make quite a powerful sword.

I understand that the speed bonus makes no scence story-wise. That was my first thought, but I wanted to suggest something for this sword. As usual, a good thought appears only after some time. How about adding a silver socket to it (a gold one may be too much powerful)? On the lower levels, there are not many good things to put into a socket, so it won't be overpowered. But on the higher levels it would become one more reason to keep this sword. I just looked though all the unique swords, and noticed that all of them offer either two yellow boni or skill bonus or more available sockets.

'2 and 3 piece completion boni' is a really good idea. It makes the set useful even if it's not complete. By the way, what's wrong with 3-piece bonus? All HE's sets gave the first bonus with 3 items equipped. And for this set, it may make people really use both swords, since they do extra-damage while together.

As for the second sword, how much Ice Damage are you planning? It seems underpowered with the simple amount you may find on the blue items, but if the amount of the damage added would be somewhat like Sword of the Blood Dryads adds to the fire damage, it would make quite a powerful sword.

I understand that the speed bonus makes no scence story-wise. That was my first thought, but I wanted to suggest something for this sword. As usual, a good thought appears only after some time. How about adding a silver socket to it (a gold one may be too much powerful)? On the lower levels, there are not many good things to put into a socket, so it won't be overpowered. But on the higher levels it would become one more reason to keep this sword. I just looked though all the unique swords, and noticed that all of them offer either two yellow boni or skill bonus or more available sockets.

The unique swords all have 4 or 5 bonuses (where a socket counts as a bonus). Anyway, same as said above, I dont want both swords to be overpowered. I was thinking that the first one, twinkle having such damage/melee focused mods on it would have normal damage for a that type of sword. Whereas icingdeath would have a highish damage (high ice % too) because of its comparitively defensive mods with the +x% ice damage adding to that (I'll add this to the first post), so while twinkle may be better mod wise, icingdeath is better in damage, meaning it doesnt need any more mods? I think any more would be too many...

What we really need is a cm patch dev opinion...I might pm czevak to bring his attention to this.

Edited by Dragon Brother

Understood. With the high Ice Damage % bonus this sword would be quite powerful, and may be also useful even for characters without Dual Wielding (for Ice HE for example). Relatively high base damage is a good and reasonable idea too, especially if we count the Damage % set bonus (which makes any of the swords not so powerful while alone, but really good together). Excuse me for many suggestions for this sword, but it looked quite weak for a set/unique item until you mentioned the high damage values.

By the way, what models would you like to see for the swords?

Well, the closest to the actual scimitar look would be the Blade of Mutiny. But it looks too plain in my opinion. My thought was about Lord Wayne's Player Killer-like look. There are only three swords of such a look in game. Except for the mentioned one they are unlockable Atherton's ones. I never saw this model used for the usual dropable swords. But if you think that something more simple would be better, than maybe the old (pre-Ice and Blood)Kuan's Pride look.

I just know that CM developers can change the texture and therefore colour and such of an item, but it'd be much easier for them if the model would be chosen from the ones that are in game already. It's possible to create a new model, but it requires a lot of work.

Well, there are a few there that I like the look of, most of them are fairly simple looking it would seem, Kuans Pride, Ysandrifa's Law, Quetzal's First Strike, or something with the desert/officers saber/blade of mutiny look.

Lord Waynes seems to look not quite right...I don't like how the damage type effects on those 3 similar weapons doesnt run along the blade.

Something like Romuil's Tears/Sword of the Blood Dryads could look good if skinned well...but like you said...thats a lot more work.

Quetzal's First Strike doesn't suit much, since it's a katana-like sword.

Kuans Pride fits quite well. As I remember, I suggested this one too.

As for the new skins, it is possible to ask about them. As I understand, czevak doesn't mind re-skinning the items for the new sets. I just thought that a completely new model would be a hard task, but new skin for the existing model seems to be the right idea. Though I wonder if it's possible to re-skin the Blood Dryads' sword in order to make it match the ice/magic weapon. It would require to make red glow of the blade blue or violet to match the damage type. Though we may ask about it. If it's possible to re-skin the Sword of the Blood Dryads, the result would look unique and interesting.