Pulled or torn back muscle

Demoral, I wondered how a pain killing drug would be named a demoralizer. No wonder that I didn't know it, it is named Dolantil (the original name, dolor= latin for pain) in germany. Before the cellular phones came to broad usage I had to answer a lot of phone calls, requests for pills which run out and such, when my wife was doing visits. So I was puzzled that I didn't know this one while it seemed to be a good known one. Had to ask my wife and she said that Demorol/Demoral/Dolantil/Pethidin are classified as narcotics and have a hard law on using them, so the last decades they were replaced by new stuff.

The hospitals here in the US still use Demorel but its only given by nurse injection at the hospital.

It will make you sleepy but since its pain free sleep its still good for you. :-) Sleep deprivation makes everything worse that it really is so get plenty of sleep.

Demerol is a wonderful drug :D (its what I needed to turn the corner on my back issues that time, just one shot and 5 hours of pain free sleep made a huge difference)

Nice writeup!

That was so on the nail. I totally agree. Sometimes that elusive single night of sleep when found is jackpot. And I love the way you said it, turn the corner on your back issues at the time.

R and R, lots of R and R... seems like that's what Dox say is so necessary for backs to heal up again, and we're all so waiting for that process to happen!

:)

gogo

Demoral, I wondered how a pain killing drug would be named a demoralizer. No wonder that I didn't know it, it is named Dolantil (the original name, dolor= latin for pain) in germany. Before the cellular phones came to broad usage I had to answer a lot of phone calls, requests for pills which run out and such, when my wife was doing visits. So I was puzzled that I didn't know this one while it seemed to be a good known one. Had to ask my wife and she said that Demorol/Demoral/Dolantil/Pethidin are classified as narcotics and have a hard law on using them, so the last decades they were replaced by new stuff.

It's one of those words that in English can be pronounced differently. It can be Demoral - as in Demoralize - or it can be pronounced Dem Or All - which refers to the drug.

It's an opiate - like Morphine, heroin and other such derivatives and as such it's also highly addictive which means it's listed I believe as a Class 3 drug - meaning it requires at least 3 doctors to sign off on the perscription before it can be written. You've got to be in some majorly serious pain and there can be no viable alternatives before it's considered.

It's still deliverable in hospitals - because it's highly effective. That, and because you're in a hospital setting, there's little chance you're going to do anything utterly stupid (like drive a car) while on the stuff. Odds are you're likely to fall asleep after the injection. So it works out rather well.

Edited by wolfie2kX

Okay at least it seems to be same everywhere: at sudden and lasting heavy back pain visit a doc (or let him visit) right away. You will probably get an injection to fight pain and relax muscles. Injections work way quicker than pills and the faster the muscles relax the better.

A (single) doc who visits you is not allowed to use Demoral and will use something new and similiar. Many docs like old drugs because they are used to them and know the riscs and are not sure which secondary effects brand new drugs may have.

Even healthy food can be a risc sometimes: Countryside doctors know their people and what they prefer to eat. Some fruits/herbs can amplify or reduce drugs. Grapefruits nullify some anti-baby pills, grapefruits multify the effect of drugs versus high blood pressure and the pressure may fall way too low, garlic is dangerous if you take Aspirin to make the blood 'thinner', ...

So whenever getting a pill, ask the doc which food you shouldn't eat while taking them.

I couldn't lay down for the mri since as soon as I did my back would spasm and continue spasming until I changed position. That was pretty brutal. But they needed the mri to gauge ligament/muscle damage so the only reasonable choice was a local injection.

I had to secure a ride home otherwise I would have had to stay overnight. It's very potent stuff, I barely stayed awake long enough to get in car and go home. I was asleep as soon as I laid in bed. And I'm only 5 minutes from hospital :)

2 1/2 more hours til I know what they're gonna do :o

I pulled or tore a back muscle Wednesday and have been in a lot of pain ever since. I was drilling a panel in an awkward position and when I stood up I felt the pain. I didn't make any sudden movement or anything and at first it felt more like I 'tweaked' it. But after 15 minutes the pain increased to the point where I couldn't stand up.

Man Knuckles. It's a bit cruel to have such an injury from a seemingly harmless act. I hope you'll be able to get some clear answers on what the problem is exactly and how something so severe could happen the way it did.

Cheers to demoral!

Well this is what they think I did...

I pinched a nerve while drilling..which was the tweak I felt. That caused the surrounding muscle to become inflamed and tighten up. So when I made my next move the back didn't go with me and tore the muscle. The muscle decided to try and take the rib with it.

I got a fracture on the rib but it's healing as is the muscle so I can go back to work Monday. But will be on very restricted duty until further notice. That's gonna be hard as I'm a 'hands on' guy. I will go nuts watching other people work while I'm doing nothing.

But at least it could have been much much worse and the meds I got now eliminate about 90% of the issues. Will be interesting to see how the back responds after a day of work on Monday. Might even do a little wiki work this weekend as having this week off enabled me to complete the database project for work :)

Well this is what they think I did...

I pinched a nerve while drilling..which was the tweak I felt. That caused the surrounding muscle to become inflamed and tighten up. So when I made my next move the back didn't go with me and tore the muscle. The muscle decided to try and take the rib with it.

I got a fracture on the rib but it's healing as is the muscle so I can go back to work Monday. But will be on very restricted duty until further notice. That's gonna be hard as I'm a 'hands on' guy. I will go nuts watching other people work while I'm doing nothing.

But at least it could have been much much worse and the meds I got now eliminate about 90% of the issues. Will be interesting to see how the back responds after a day of work on Monday. Might even do a little wiki work this weekend as having this week off enabled me to complete the database project for work :)

Ack.. That does suck big wind - but at least look on the bright side - NO surgery..! That's always a plus.

I'm glad to hear that this case is closed. And even more glad to hear that the result is better than it might be. It's sad that the pain still remains and they don't let you rest for some more time... but at least there is no surgery - and that's the good news. And the fact that the big project is over means that not one but two things would stop troubling you now.

P.S. it's really nice to see your changes on the wiki again. And yay for the new places page!

Glad to hear they figured it out. Make sure you bundle up really well when you go back to work next week. I'm sure the cold didn't help things after the injury happened and probably helped set the stage for the injury to occur. Keeping your back nice and toasty so its loose will help keep it on the road to recovery. I've aggravated my herniated discs 3 times and every time it was in the wintertime so unfortunately I've got experience with back pain and wintertime aggravating the injury :-(.

Honestly, when I read your plight, I was speechless. I hardly go through the kinds of pain you've had, such as having a wire stabbed through your hand, and those made me cringe. The wrost I had was a mere dislocation that I corrected myself and my left thumb cut by a saw. :P I know how you feel about sleepless nights via pain, so I'm just glad that you are on your way to recovery, and hope you get all the rest needed before you go insane. :P