How many same-word links can dance on a page of the Wiki?

lol

Sorry couldn't resist the title :P

We're going over all the pages for Wiki, there has been HUGE improvement for linkifying words on pages to other pages in the wiki. I know this is kind of tough sometimes, specially with a wiki this big, and we don't know if a page is there or not... it can be a hassle to check, and I first wanted to express sinere thanks for all the wiki editors going that extra distance to not only put in content but linkify...

Thank you!

I wanted to just make a quick note about the number of same word links on the same page/article of the wiki. For Wiki's, Best Practice is to link once a word, and that is enough. So if you see the word Combat Art eight times in an article... no need to linkify all of them,just the first one you encounter in the article is correct.

Simply link the first time you see the occurrence of a word you want to linkify and that's great.

Links are awesome, but in balancing links to other pages versus a quick sweep of info, half a hundred of them upon a single page can quickly become an eyesore. As done in other game wikis, first word occurrence linking adds depth, while not distracting from the page read.

Again, thanks for all the linking going in.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

p.s. bTW, pages that are currently exhibiting multiple links of the same word are fine, no need to rush back and change them, they can be left as is... this is Best Practice for new pages.

Well, if you have same-named links going to different pages, perhaps the links on the page itself can be named differently each so that the reader can see before he clicks on the link that each link is different?

Would that help?

This Best Practice that I am writing about is not quite the same thing however. It only relates to same-named links all linking to the same page of our wiki.

gogo

And anyway, how many of them would be appropriate. For example, for the quest pages, I think that the quest giver should be linked several times: in the header, in the quick walkthrough and the first time he/she is mentioned in the detailed walkthrough. Though it turns out to be quite a lot too.

Yeah, I was looking at this for old quests that were done...I think just to make it look complete, taking into a account the way things are grouped... if the top of the quest area has fields that have to be filled in then it's important that anything possible that can be linked in that are should be linked. For body, one link per new word is good.

gogo

• 2 months later...

I'd recommend having multiple links, when you have scrolled down and the previous link is no longer visible.

Basically, a link every two-three paragraphs would add a lot of convenience.

I'd recommend having multiple links, when you have scrolled down and the previous link is no longer visible.

For really long pages that makes sense. Two examples would be the synopsis pages for the Light and Shadow campaigns.

• 2 years later...

For really long pages that makes sense. Two examples would be the synopsis pages for the Light and Shadow campaigns.

I have a question about that. I know you guys dont like the TOC. But if there is a realy long page with a TOC included and as an example you can read the word Shadow Warrior on top of the page below the first topic but don't read the whole text cuz you used the toc to get down to a point you want to, without reading the whole page and there is the word Shadow Warrior again w/out a link (ofc - the rule tolds us to dont link that word twice on an article).

I cant describe that better... hope it gives you the idea.

My question is, is it possible to expand the rule and say one link per topic instead of one link per article/page?

For all the fantastic looking changes Flix has done, I have a question about using links in the text.

In fact It's a wiki I think we should use as many links at possible like in the wikipedia. As an example: If there is a bunch of text and somehwere is the word Character showing, should we link that word to the character class page? I've made a "hardcore" version of that on here: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Combat_Art_Modifications/de

Please let my know of how many words/text we should link on pages to other pages.

Right now wiki standards is that in text article, and if there are multiple occurences to words that repeat and keep going to same/other page, just one link, the first time you read that word on page, is enough. When we started Wiki we started having multiple links all over for same word over and over, and after a few days, we came up with this guideline after using some of our other references in game wikis we found.

That is to your first question

And anotherquestion you are asking, is, if a word occurs and it happens to be to a page on the Wiki, yes it should be linked to it, create as many links as possible as long as each one is different per page, and each one is "useful" per page, all based upon increasing reader pleasure from uncovering information and ideas.

Third question that you may have asked, but did not know it :devil: is... how about if if there is a word that should/could go perhaps to another page but not the page of that name/title but another one that could give a player bettter experience...

In that case, Please post on forum, and we can look at it. I think a few times it's been done, but the situation is rare, most times we just create a sentence that has that page/word we feel the reader would/could find useful and add it in.

gogo

Right now wiki standards is that in text article, and if there are multiple occurences to words that repeat and keep going to same/other page, just one link, the first time you read that word on page, is enough. When we started Wiki we started having multiple links all over for same word over and over, and after a few days, we came up with this guideline after using some of our other references in game wikis we found.

And anotherquestion you are asking, is, if a word occurs and it happens to be to a page on the Wiki, yes it should be linked to it, create as many links as possible as long as each one is different per page, and each one is "useful" per page, all based upon increasing reader pleasure from uncovering information and ideas.

Third question that you may have asked, but did not know it :devil: is... how about if if there is a word that should/could go perhaps to another page but not the page of that name/title but another one that could give a player bettter experience...

In that case, Please post on forum, and we can look at it. I think a few times it's been done, but the situation is rare, most times we just create a sentence that has that page/word we feel the reader would/could find useful and add it in.

gogo

I'm in total harmony with this policy. I'm sure we can enhance many of our articles with more links, but readers (including myself) would lose their minds if every possible instance was linked over and over. :cstars:

Ok to make it clear for me: on my example page is the word "combat art" more that 15 times, "aspect" 16x, Character(class) 7x represented and they are all linked. If I get you right, that is way to much, right? It is enough if its linked the first time it occurs on a page? So I need to change that back ^^

gogo

I'm in total harmony with this policy. I'm sure we can enhance many of our articles with more links, but readers (including myself) would lose their minds if every possible instance was linked over and over. :cstars:

Thanks! Took us a while to get good guidelines that are helpful, eventually our standards became the gold, and this is the only reason why so many other sites on net use sacredwiki.org as reference

Of cousre, we had our inspiration too...here's where a LOT of ideas for SacredWiki came from...I also believe it to be one of the five best game wiki's in the world:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

>> So I need to change that back ^^

lol

Ayup

And remember you're also new at this, in a few months you'll be super pro!

:superman:

gogo

Please someone put the stuff of how many words per page should ne linked away or in http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17760-how-many-same-word-links-can-dance-on-a-page-of-the-wiki/

and delete this post ^^

€dit thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking

you just linked to a topic that says how many links we want per page

is there something else you want to ask?

thanks

gogo

No I'd like to have my posts about that topic out of this topic here to the topic that is still there http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17760-how-many-same-word-links-can-dance-on-a-page-of-the-wiki as I'm not able to do it myself or simply delete my posts of that in here, thats fine, too

lol

You want me to delete a post you have made?

Can you please link me to the post you want me to delete so I can see it

thanks

gogo

OK I collected all posts that have to do with the topic on http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17760-how-many-same-word-links-can-dance-on-a-page-of-the-wiki/

please feel free to move them on there (and delete my posts which has nothing to do with the subject)

Edited by Sneak0r