Shop online and support SacredWiki!

I don't really do it, but a ton of my friends at work do. In fact, a lot of them were telling me about their favorite places to shop, that, in fact, they are in love with the convenience of doing it, and after having done it for a while, always shop first online to before actually venturing out into the physical world.

My question is two prong.

Firstly, it's whether you do shop online, and if you do, what are your favorite places? Barnes and Noble, Ebay, Best Buy, Canadian Tire, Future Shop,Apple etc lol...

I ask because we have been looking around for ideas other than ads on our forum for our registered members that can help with SacredWiki. After some research, Viglinks, a company owned by Google, will allow our site to allow any links that are posted on our forum to have commission for any purchases made.

This means...if you were wiling to shop form the Wiki Shopping Portal or any link here on this forum... a commission would be collected which could be used for our site costs.

When I first heard about this, I was kind of bleh becuase I don't really shop online. However lately, hearing my friends talk about it, and actually talking to some of our members here, I am realizing that perhaps this is a way of supporting the community while tieing in with purchase already being made instead of ads! :bounce:

Viglinks has a HUGE number of companies, and I can research and probably find companies that are popular, but I don't know what is really "hot" or what you, our community, is interested in.

Does something like this interest you? Does it sound fair, and okay? If you do get stuff online, please post, tell us if you think this idea is cool, and if we get enough interested peeps, I will continue researching to find us links for us to use.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

p.s. And here are the list of links that will allow purchases to be made

• macmall.jpg
  • ebay.jpg
  • 6ave.jpg
  • abesofmaine.jpg
  • sears.jpg
  • tigerdirect.jpg
  • amazon.jpg
  • hotels.jpg
  • buy.jpg
  • travelocity.jpg
  • play.jpg
  • zipzoomfly.jpg
  • stubhub.jpg
  • ecost.jpg
  • abt.jpg
  • edmunds.jpg
  • newegg.jpg
  • tirerack.jpg
  • pcmall.jpg
  • jcwhitney.jpg
  • 1and1.jpg
  • etronics.jpg
  • 7dayshop.jpg
  • ajelectronics.jpg
  • advancedmp3players.jpg
  • amazon.co.uk.jpg
  • amazon.ca.jpg
  • autosportcatalog.jpg
  • allbattery.jpg
  • autoanything.jpg
  • autopartswarehouse.jpg
  • bedirect.jpg
  • coopelectricalshop.jpg
  • currys.jpg
  • cdwow.jpg
  • batteries.jpg
  • easycinema.jpg
  • ebay.co.uk.jpg
  • ebay.ca.jpg
  • digitalempireonline.jpg
  • xmradio.jpg
  • dixons.jpg
  • 4wd.jpg
  • electricaldiscountuk.jpg
  • digitaldirectuk.jpg
  • dell.jpg
  • finishline.jpg
  • half.ebay.jpg
  • empiredirect.jpg
  • gnc.jpg
  • hifibitz.jpg
  • godaddy.jpg
  • macconnection.jpg
  • meshcomputers.jpg
  • misco.co.uk.jpg
  • sharp.co.uk.jpg
  • microdirect.jpg
  • pcworld.co.uk.jpg
  • memorybits.co.uk.jpg
  • vonage.jpg
  • mwave.jpg
  • mymemory.jpg
  • networksolutions.jpg
  • tesco.jpg
  • pcconnection.jpg
  • tvcables.jpg
  • geeks.jpg
  • novatech.jpg
  • rapidonline.jpg
  • drivingcomfort.jpg
  • officemax.jpg
  • thehut.jpg
  • onecall.jpg

I know we've talked about it, but I do a lot of shopping on-line. For Christmas I'd say 50-60% of it was done on-line. If I can find it local I'll go there but otherwise it's on-line for me. Especially for older or limited production technical books. Not many Barnes and Nobles will carry these type of books in any quantity unless they're web-based. Some of the web sites I frequent are:

Best Buy

Newegg

Barnes & Noble

Gamestop

Borders

Ebay

Amazon

Staples

Home Depot

Though I do go to several manufacturer's sites for specialty tools and stuff too. So if we set up a portal to an on-line store I do business with, I'd use the FDM portal to give us a little kickback :D

• Like! 1

Well, I dont usually buy much online, but when I have its been from ebay, most of the time the convenience and lack of hassle outwieghts any benefits of buying online from overseas sites and worrying about warranties/shipping and so on. I did however purchase something from AbeBooks recently and if that works out, I may continue buying books through there, so if thats one of their affiliates or any other sites useful I would use the FDM links if it meant helping out.

Knuckles, DB, thanks for responding! This is actually very cool, and it looks like there are a lot of links associated with this program.

Dragon Brother, your online store is all board as well!

Abebooks

What I'll do is try and find links for a bunch of these sites that are associated and I'll bring in a group of icons with the links or maybe we'll create a link panel for people here. We can then put the most popular links on the panel or whatever anyone tells us they are using.

As well, just publishing a link to any place anyone wants to get anything at, will work as well.

gogo

Knuckles, DB, thanks for responding! This is actually very cool, and it looks like there are a lot of links associated with this program.

Dragon Brother, your online store is all board as well!

Abebooks

What I'll do is try and find links for a bunch of these sites that are associated and I'll bring in a group of icons with the links or maybe we'll create a link panel for people here. We can then put the most popular links on the panel or whatever anyone tells us they are using.

As well, just publishing a link to any place anyone wants to get anything at, will work as well.

gogo

So if I buy through your link then you guys get a comission then?

Yeah, pretty cool eh

I still have to find all the links that are good which is taking me some time, but I'll come back with more after. Hopefully if anyone is shopping, and they post their link, it can then be shopped through.

gogo

Nice :) Well, I've just recently bought a trilogy off there so it may be a bit of a wait before I buy anything else, waiting to make sure they come and all, but in the future if I do any online shopping I'll be sure to check back here.

Well I do Online Shopping but obviously as Pole, using Polish sites for physical products ;p For gaming using Foreign sites, I cant stand Polish versions of games.I wouldnt meet you guys online in closed if I bought PL ver. I do not regret that I paid more for Eu ver. Probably I do online shopping bacause I live in a village so I cant just take some minutes to get to some big store, where I can get everything, like poeple living in big cities can.

Hi Elwin

The online shopping is kinda new for me, I had always been thinking that shipping costs always made it a matter of convenience. I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday for NCIX Canada's largest online retailer for the sweet computer stuff we all crave, and he said his shipping was only 5.00.

Well, if you calculate bus/metro fare here in Montreal both ways with cheap tickets, that's 2.75 x 2

He beat me out!

:4rofl:

gogo

Generally, I check Amazon first. Books I will also check Barnes and Noble. I also have a number of specialty shops bookmarked for my various obsessions...er... I mean my various hobbies.

Depending on how much you buy, you can usually get free shipping once you hit a certain total. I'd say half my purchases end up having free shipping or free upgrades to it (I.e. quicker delivery)

Hi Elwin

The online shopping is kinda new for me, I had always been thinking that shipping costs always made it a matter of convenience. I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday for NCIX Canada's largest online retailer for the sweet computer stuff we all crave, and he said his shipping was only 5.00.

Well, if you calculate bus/metro fare here in Montreal both ways with cheap tickets, that's 2.75 x 2

He beat me out!

:4rofl:

gogo

Well you are leaving in Montreal, so big city so no wonder. As I said I live far from big city so online shoping for some producuts is a way to go. My first online purchases were around 10 years ago and that was Black&White game, and WarcraftIII preorder.

Back into real action, after 5 days of 'Droidin' around. :P

I shop quite a lot online. Few places are Finland exclusive, but I get a lot from Play.com, Amiami (Japanese anime/manga/etc ship) and DealExtreme. After getting to know Paypal, I've been one happy camper. ^^

Of those I could really recommend Play.com and DealExtreme. Both have world-wide free shipping on the top of some great deals.

Btw, got my copy of Sacred 2 at Play. :P

Saw this post and can't resist responding. My husband is in a wheelchair so I rarely get to do much shopping. I've been buying online for years and have never had a problem. Places like L.L.Bean & William Sonoma send return labels with each purchase for easy return. The days of long waiting times are long gone. Items often arrive within three days of the order. It's as easy to order from a foreign country as from Amazon. It doesn't have to replace buying from local stores, just opens up your options.

• 2 weeks later...

So they don't have to be special links for you guys to get the commission? I feel like that without seeing anything different on the sites we go to that it hasn't worked...I assume that something is monitoring the traffic going from this site to the online stores though?

I assume that something is monitoring the traffic going from this site to the online stores though?

Ayup! It happens when the link is executed from our start point here at DarkMatters. Any link that is published first in a post or on this site becomes a link that has the commission.

Before, in the old days, sites used to spend a lot of work actually following affiliate programs that were painstaking to maintain, monitor and update.

Now, almost any link can help, as long at Viglink has spoken to the company first to add them to the roster.

Doing it like this is kind of like invisible advertising instead, and keeps normal ads off our boards for all our registered members, while instead attempting to raise funds by working with a purchase they would have already made online.

gogo

• 8 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned