Should I buy it? I just don't know!

To Buy or not to Buy  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I indulge at the risk of destroying the universe?

• Do it! Dooooo eeeeeeet!
    • No, you should buy a donut instead.

Ok. Now we're going waaaay back into my childhood with this one. Every since I was about 12 and started my paper route to save up money I was bound and bent to buy myself my very own TV. Yup! Unfortunately my hard earned money went towards mommy and daddies mortgage and so the dream was laid to rest. That was the dream. ^^ Many years down the road, shutup don't ask, I still find myself without a TV. Had I been traumatized from the experience? Is it now to painful an experience to even try to buy a TV? And most importantly... If I buy one will the universe implode? Cause that would really suck, not getting to watch TV and all. ^^

So here we are in present day and not so very long ago a sign came to me under a deep trance. A wonderful magical sign that could have only been sent from the heavens. Or... Maybe from hell. He's got the whole destroy the world kinda thing goin and I'm pretty sure he'd love to help me make the universe implode. Anywho! The sign. It was a Golden sort of Yellow with dark mysterious lettering and a glistening ruby border. It read...

15o80oj.jpg

Yes! And it's a gooood one too! So here's the thing. I've got $285 in credit at the store I can buy it at and $200 in me piggy bank. gogo thinks I shouldn't buy it in case I need money for health care. What with all my problems I've been having but I say nooooo! $285 of my money can only be spent at Staples and the $200 piggy bank money was always meant to be fun money. I do have other savings sooooo...

What do you think?! Vote and make the choice for me. :D

This looks like a really sweet deal which is why I'm in such a hurry all of the sudden. I've seen it playing Kung Fu Panda in the store and the color and clarity is just jaw dropping. I would use it as my pc monitor and replace my two side by side monitors.

Sony BRAVIA 32" KDL32BX300 LCD TV

On the Sony site

x57335.jpg

Well, I reckon if you want it bad enough then go for it :) With all the injury related stress in your life lately some retail therapy will be nice and relaxing. If the store you have the credit for price matches try shop around for a cheaper price, price match and save yourself even more cash!

PS. It should be more than one donut...$300 of donuts!!

Edited by Dragon Brother

This is a good price for a name brand "starter" HD monitor. Sony Bravia and Samsung are my 2 choices. Sony has a reputation for excellent color re-creation.

On the downside it is only 720P. Which technically is considered HD but the newer tech is 1080P with refresh rates approaching 240HZ as apposed to 60HZ.

Now, Somethings to look for in a flat panel TV

Contrast ratio: The Sony site says this one is 100,000 to 1. That is incredible. :)

Resolution: This one is 720P at 60hz. That is basic at this point.

Inputs: this one has 5 inputs and at least 1 of anything you may want to plug into it.

I say go for it. Its a good price for a good ( not great because of the 720P 60hz vs 1080P 120hz) TV that will serve you well.

I like your style guys. :D I'm willing to bet that retail therapy is the best kind. ^^

Interesting point about the frame rate loco. I hadn't even thought of that. I think the LCDs I have now are 60 max so at least it wouldn't be a step backward with the Bravia. The only thing I'm wondering now is how clear and large windows will appear on it via pc. I think it would be a great alternative to dual monitors which I have now but I think I read that the Bravia's native resolution is kinda low... I guess that's the whole 720p vs 1080p. I think I read though that 1080p isn't mainstream yet, that 1080i is and that 720p is smoother quality than 1080i... Sure is a lot to keep track of. :blink:

Contrast ratio: The Sony site says this one is 100,000 to 1. That is incredible. :)

Thats a dynamic contrast ratio which ive read somewhere is by default greater in value (and thus marketed as such because it sounds more impressive) than a static contrast ratio which is the one the matters most, having said which, higher is still better.

I like your style guys. :D I'm willing to bet that retail therapy is the best kind. ^^

Interesting point about the frame rate loco. I hadn't even thought of that. I think the LCDs I have now are 60 max so at least it wouldn't be a step backward with the Bravia. The only thing I'm wondering now is how clear and large windows will appear on it via pc. I think it would be a great alternative to dual monitors which I have now but I think I read that the Bravia's native resolution is kinda low... I guess that's the whole 720p vs 1080p. I think I read though that 1080p isn't mainstream yet, that 1080i is and that 720p is smoother quality than 1080i... Sure is a lot to keep track of. :blink:

Frame rate won't be so much an issue unless you want to run your games at over 60fps/run a 3D setup :) 1080p is the bes, I think due to a few complaints about tv's in australia being marketed as HD without any real clarification between the 3 types most of them are now full hd, but if not are lables much more clearly. So the sony bravia they sell down here at 32" is full hd...but it costs $699 and with the aussie dollar pretty much equal to a canadian/us dollar thats how much it would cost over there...us aussies seem to get shafted when it comes to paying for technology.

Thanx Dragon. That contrast did look quite amazing when I saw it. The colours really come out well. Better than I've seen in a long time. As for gaming I think 60 will do eh. ^^ That's what my lcd is set at anyway.

Hmm... The 720p thing has me a bit concerned. I just read up on one of my present lcd', 23.6", and it's got some pretty good stuff going for it. In particular that it's Full HD 1080p.

ASUS VH242H

Is the Sony BRAVIA 32" KDL32BX300 LCD TV a step up from the ASUS?

All LCD monitors or TV's are Progressive scan. So while most HD content is broadcast in eiither 1080i or 720P all LCD dislplays in "P". As for using a TV as a Computer monitor. 720 is not the greatest for a display that size. You will need to back away from the monitor a distance doulbe the diagonal width=64 Inches for the best view according to the HD video buffs. this makes reading text from a PC difficult. Furian uses his Toshiba 32" 1080P as his computer monitor and does ok. But he has to back away a bit. and text can be a little difficult.

If you are thinking of going as a PC monitor I would consider a 1080P native resolution.

Hmm... The 720p thing has me a bit concerned. I just read up on one of my present lcd', 23.6", and it's got some pretty good stuff going for it. In particular that it's Full HD 1080p.

ASUS VH242H

Is the Sony BRAVIA 32" KDL32BX300 LCD TV a step up from the ASUS?

No, the Asus monitor, even though it is a bit smaller will display PC output much clearer than a TV will. Partially due to the fact that the pixel size of the Asus is designed for sitting at arms length from the monitor at 1080 res and the TV is designed to sit a bodies length away at 720P. So you will lose some detail switching your comp to the Sony.

As for using a TV as a Computer monitor. 720 is not the greatest for a display that size. You will need to back away from the monitor a distance doulbe the diagonal width=64 Inches for the best view according to the HD video buffs. this makes reading text from a PC difficult.

Agreed - perhaps the best thing would be to ask the store to hook it up to a PC and you be the judge, but I don't think it would be what you expect. So if you want to use it as a TV, you'd want to get a Blue Ray player if your cable\satellite company does not broadcast HD. Otherwise you'd be just as well off getting a standard wide screen tv. So there's a little more money to squeeze out of the ol' piggy.

Awh dangit. It was just too good to be true, lol. I knew that price was suspicious but I didn't know in what way. Thanx for revealing "the catch" for me guys. I agree Scleameth. I'm still curious so I'll see if they can hook it up for me and let you guys know. Hopefully get a few pictures to show yah's! :D

It's still a very nice TV! A friend of mine has one and the picture quality is really, really impressive. If you intend using it as a TV, I don't think you'd notice a real difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32". I stood right up to the TV while we watched Ironman 2 on his BRAVIA and the quality was awsome! It might be good enough for gaming, so you can use a standard PC monitor for all your usual text and Sacred2-ify on the large screen?

Oooh! yeh id definatly get it, always wanted a tv like that, I hate mazive tvs, they hurt my eyes, screens like this are definatly a lot better quality than bigger ones, my computer screen is about the same size except a bit more square, it's a HANNspree XM monitor, a lot nicer colours than the bigger monitor I used a lot.

Oh no, you guys are making me want it more now, lol. It would be awesome for movie watching. When I saw it playing Kung Fu Panda in the store I was in awe. Such nice quality! You got me thinking Scleameth. I cooooould use the Bravia as a second screen... At least then I would still use my 24" full HD Asus.

On the other hand... I've recently been looking at buying desk mounts for my two monitors so that I can raise them whenever I want to work standing up. Found something really cool that sell for around $250 near me.

Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm

45-248-026_ani.gif

The desk mount is very smart. It would release a number of different work options whilst typing which would impact your health.

Flexibility is what is going to have the greatest benefit, and being able to move from sitting to up standing to just about any stance that eases pain is a boon.

:)

gogo

Well I just got back from my local Staples and spoke to the head of merchandising. I showed him the Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm and he was really impressed by it. He already sent an email to his supplier and is going to call me when he finds out if they can order it. If they can get it then I'll be able to use the $280 credit I have with them to buy the mount. Weeeee! :D

P.s.

Oh! I just realized that I'll be able to watch movies conveniently from my bed which is beside my desk. ^^

• 1 month later...

Hehe, I actually went for the arms. I still really want the Bravia but I came to the conclusion that functionally the arms are of much greater value. I must say I'm really enjoying them. I have a slight issue with them and that is they don't quite reach the "perfect height" for me so I'm looking at options to get them just a bit higher. Aiming for an extra 6 inches. They're wonderful though. I can work for hours now without having to sit down which is really great for my posture and related aches.

I'll see about getting some pics of my new setup. :D

P.s.

Payed about $260CAN all in and well worth the money!

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6311134&CatId=2465

Hehe, I actually went for the arms. I still really want the Bravia but I came to the conclusion that functionally the arms are of much greater value. I must say I'm really enjoying them. I have a slight issue with them and that is they don't quite reach the "perfect height" for me so I'm looking at options to get them just a bit higher. Aiming for an extra 6 inches. They're wonderful though. I can work for hours now without having to sit down which is really great for my posture and related aches.

I'll see about getting some pics of my new setup. :D

P.s.

Payed about $260CAN all in and well worth the money!

http://www.tigerdire...1134&CatId=2465

I want pics~ :) this sound like an interesting set-up.

Just last night I was cleaning gunk out of the remote to the first tv I bought myself, so I can relate to your tale, Schot.

When the opportunity comes around again, locolagarto hit the number one issue... how far away from the screen will you normally be viewing. If you're sitting on a sofa watching a 32", then 720 will be fine. Some charts would say that you'd have to be closer than 4 feet for 1080p to be noticable on a 32". And when you get to really big tvs then you have minumum viewing distances to avoid pixelization. Which is why, in the store, you need to stand both close and far to really get a feel for a tv.

Great point masteff and very true about loco's advice. I hadn't thought of it at the time because I haven't watched TV on a couch in a very long time and not used to that sort of viewing distance. Naturally I just looked at the TV in the store about 4 feet away from it and thought, "Oooooh!". Certainly the opportunity, *read as: Urge!*, will come along again and when it does I'll check out the TV from several distances. :)

As for my desk set up... Here's some pics of various screen positions the help of those cool new monitor arms I bought. I would go on about them but the video I posted earlier does the job waaay better than I could. Excellent product. Very high quality and durable.

100_0831.JPG 100_0832.JPG 100_0833.JPG 100_0834.JPG 100_0835.JPG

Verily cool..!

Prolly just as well you didn't get the 32 inch TV... Those arms, according to the web page you linked @ Tiger Direct, will only handle up to a 25" monitor.