Does Damage Lore affect a spell's second effect?

psstloaf

Hello,

just wanted to ask a quick question because the modifier is so small at a low level that it pretty much imposable to tell weather its benefiting my high elfs spells or not.

Does Damage Lore affect a spells second effect ? e.g Frost Flare , I cant see why not but just wanted to confirm this before wasting 5 points on a offensive skill. Which at end game I will not even be using.

Also what I wanted to ask was , is Attack Value weapon based combat only or does it affect spells chances of hitting also ?

Thank You.

Depends: There are 3 possible spell damage types.

One time direct hit spell damage: chance to have secondary effects triggered

direct damage redone in intervals: eg deathly spears, nimbus: chance to have secondary effects triggered

Damage over time: the spells which are blocked with eg -x% fire damage over time: no chance to have secondary effects triggered

Depends: There are 3 possible spell damage types.

One time direct hit spell damage: chance to have secondary effects triggered

direct damage redone in intervals: eg deathly spears, nimbus: chance to have secondary effects triggered

Damage over time: the spells which are blocked with eg -x% fire damage over time: no chance to have secondary effects triggered

ok thanks,

so I was looking at frost flare and the damage it does is over time damage which damage lore will not affect ?!?! I also assumed frost flare has a chance to freeze (which is a second effect right ?) or is that only with the gold mod Icy Circles which freezes in a larger area ?

also any news on attack value affecting spells ?

Thanks =)

Edited by psstloaf

ok thanks,

so I was looking at frost flare and the damage it does is over time damage which damage lore will not affect ?!?! I also assumed frost flare has a chance to freeze (which is a second effect right ?) or is that only with the gold mod Icy Circles which freezes in a larger area ?

also any new on attack value affecting spells ?

Thanks =)

So, if a CA actually causes DoT (ie Frost Flare, Blazing Tempest, Levin Array, et al) then Damage Lore does not affect the DoT. If you cause burn or poison with a weapon-attac or non-DoT spell (Ancestral Fireball) then Damage Lore Mastery will increase the damage and duration. Pre-mastery Damage Lore only increases the chance to cause secondary effects.

AFAIK, ice damage can proc a "freeze" effect but I am unsure if DL will increase the chance for Frost Flare to freeze or not. I would guess, yes, but I'm not sure.

Lujate's wild guess was correct. Attack value and Defence Value are only for weapon-combat. Spells have "Magic Attack" and "Magic Defense" on the consoles, and I think they are affected by Spell Intensity and Spell Resistance, respectively. Not absolutely sure about PC version.

A fellow named Valcaf did all the testing for Damage Lore that I know of; I'll track down the guide and link it.

EDIT: My link The notes on DL are in Section 9, but I advise reading the entire OP just for the "random" DL notes that are here and there.

Edited by essjayehm