My From-Scratch High Elf (Console)

lujate

I have never been much of a magic user. In my 20+ years of RPG's it has been all hack-and-slash. I know how to use a sword (the pointy end goes into the bad guy) and an ax (hit him over the head, repeat as necessary), but magic...not so much. I recently dipped my toe into the water with a caster Seraphim (my DW was in Niob and things were getting kind of slow). I was off work the past two days due to a blizzard, so I had some extra Sacred time. My caster Seraphim took out the bronze Guardians (baby steps, I know) yesterday morning, so I started a HE. I played for about an hour, then read the Wiki during lunch and shoveled snow from 2 driveways. I came back and started fresh. I made it into the human territory by last night. The going was much easier than my caster Seraphim. (I must confess that I actually like my new HE so much that I am feeling a little disloyal to my prior Seraphims).

She is using a pistol and shield, which just seems wrong to me. A magic user with a pistol and shield :o But like the saying goes, "When in Rome, live the Romans do." For armor, I am pretty much putting regen time ahead of everything else. All of my new characters are played as HC, and she will be participating in the Hard Core for Consoles challenge, so that means no outside support.

I am planning on using Arrant Pyro as my primary aspect, with Delphic Arcana as secondary. Here is my plan (so far):

Abilities

All Vitality until 50, then split between Vitality and Intelligence

Skills

02 Arrant Pyro Lore - Master @ 75

03 Concentration - 1 point only

05 Delphic Arcana Lore - Master @ 75

08 Ancient Magic

12 Arrant Pyro Focus - Master @ 75

18 Armor Lore

25 Delphic Arcana Focus

35 Constitution - Master @ 77

50 ? Shield Lore ?

65 ?

CA (in order within each aspect)

Blazing Tempest-Scorch, Conflagration, Ambition

Incandescent Skin-Inferno, Revenge, Fiery Ardor

Incendiary Shower-Skull Smash, Smoking Rock, Devastation

Grand Invigoration-Arrant Pyro Expertise, Life Energy, Resilience

Shadow Step-Phase Shift, Vanish, Mend

Cobalt Strike-Heavy Damage, Electrify, Critical

For those of you still with me ;), I am open to suggestions for my 65 skill (assuming she lives that long). The obvious choices of Combat Discipline and Spell Resistance have limited value on the consoles. CD is bugged and spells do not seem to be as big a problem on the consoles.

Edit:

Phase Shift, not Escape for Shadow Step

Edited by lujate

I was hoping to edit my original post with an update, but that no longer appears to be an option (so be it!) I am sure that nothing here is really news, but it might help if another newbie HE comes along.

Mounts:

My first Seraphim has both a horse and tiger, but ended up going on foot (and would get rid of both mounts if there was a safe way to do so). The HE is the exact opposite, everywhere she goes is on the back of her red chicken ;). On the Seraphim Island, when she has to dismount long enough to go through the teleporters, she gets pissy. When underground...she is unbearable. Being mounted hurts regen times but the added mobility offsets the regen penalty.

Combat:

The most important thing I learned is that you do not have to face the mob before firing a CA, the HE will turn and engage.

My Blazing Tempest (BT) regen is still too high, so I alternate between it and Glacial Thorns. Cobalt Strike is used against single foes and Incendiary Strike against stationary or slow-moving targets (e.g. archers, casters, young dragons). I did have some problems with BT in the caves beneath the Seraphim Island. It would break up on the uneven floor, despite the fact the enemies and I could run over it.

In wide-open spaces, the HE and her chicken do their AC-130 impression, flying circles around mobs and pummeling them with Combat Arts. In tight quarters, I just do a fighting withdrawal, using Shadow Step as required.

Current progress:

My HE is currently 26. I deviated from my original plan for my level 25 skill, because Shield Lore gave an immediate boost, even with only 1 hard point.

AP Lore - 26

Concentration - 1

DA Lore - 26

Ancient Magic - 1

AP Focus - 11

Armor Lore - 5

Shield Lore - 1