Good food we serve at the restaurant

Delta!

Gogs: There's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart, or it could just be the synonym of serenade.

Theuns: That cake looks really gorgeus, and nice flavouring with the chocolate liquer. ^^

I hope that it is alright for me to post about the cake I baked for Theuns. (Delta) I baked it a few days ago but unfortunetly he did not get to eat any but will be baking another one for him tomorrow, when my Gran found out he could not make it because of car problems she totally polished off the entire cake lol.

I will admit it was really tasty it was my Grans Recipe for Carrot and Beetroot Cake with a Smooth Creamed Cottage Cheese Icing with Pecan Nuts.

post-26236-0-97532100-1344095779_thumb.jpg

Warwolf, that was yours? It's so beautiful, and carrot beetroot... I've never seen the combo before, very intriguing...both root veggies, this why they will work together?

:)

gogo

The Beet is mostly just to add a unusual colour to the cake,and yes its mine lol its 10:30 at night now and have another one of those cakes in the oven that I'm going to make sure gets to Theuns. I hope he enjoys it,it was made with lots of love lol. Good thing having a Granny who likes to bake and when she does its normally really yummy.

But I will admit it is fun to play around with the recipes she does have.

Warwolf...

Finally all done with cake No2 hope it makes it to Theuns in one piece this afternoon. lol

I will post the recipe here later if you would like its really easy to follow and it makes a very delicous and moist cake.

post-26236-22844_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

I have to post some more Pictures of what has been Happening at the restaurant, and some more cakes that I've made...

I'll start with the Cakes.

Natasha the Pastry chef has left and immigrated to Australia and Chef Christiaan asked me to make her a farewell cake. I was excited, because I knew he wouldn't mind about budgets or anything like that...

I started by making a sponge cake from a Malva pudding recipe that I modified(instead of adding apricot jam to the creamed eggs and sugar, I added melted chocolate, and instead of pouring a butterscotch sauce over at the end, I pour over a runny yet still rich chocolate sauce, and let it rest in the fridge for a few hours, then I made/baked a flourless dark chocolate brownie, and I made some dark chocolate and orange whipped ganache. after the ganache had some time to set and let the orange infuse properly I started with the "building process" one layer of sponge cake was used as a base, I piped some of the ganache on, and placed the brownie on top of that, pressed down a little to make sure it will be flat, piped more ganache on top of that and applied the second sponge on top of that(me and the trainee Lichelle, ate the rest of the ganache) I melted some white choc and added cream to pour over the cake, and then took it to the fridge to set. Made some white chocolate shavings, and melted some dark chocolate for writing. I pressed the shavings to the side of the cake, and wrote "Farewell Natasha" in some fancy chocolate writing on top, and it went back into the fridge to set and keep for the next day.

we all said farewell on the Sunday had some champagne and the cake, there were hugs and tears and good wishes for out beloved chef who was leaving...

post-15332-0-08144200-1367049437_thumb.jpg

post-15332-0-97660600-1367049493_thumb.jpg

And then I had a Birthday cake to make the next week for guests, they were only 2 people and only paid R 250-00. Made a simple chocolate sponge, and cut it in half when it was done baking and cooled, soaked it with some chocolate syrup, and baked a flourless chocolate brownie. Used one of the sponges for the base, piped some passion fruit icing on top, and put the flourless brownie on, piped some chocolate mousse on and put the second spponge on top, covered the cake with melted white chocolate, dusted the side with chocolate, and wrote "Happy Birthday" on top with dark chocolate. The guests took the little bit of left over home.

post-15332-0-95028000-1367050002_thumb.jpg

Delta!

The dessert menu at Delaire Graff changes on a fairly regular basis, and I haven't posted Pictures in a very long time. the following desserts are therefore not all still available, or in any particular order.

A rooibos panna cotta, walnut crumble, candied walnuts, rooibos syrup, cinnamon doughnuts, a lemon foam and cinnamon Ice cream

post-15332-0-98467400-1367051609_thumb.jpg

A banana and toffee dessert: toffee ice cream sandwich, Banana bread, franjelico jelly, hazelnut and toffee mousse, toffee sauce, coconut coated marshmallow, and a candied hazelnut spear.

post-15332-0-67747100-1367051890_thumb.jpg

Apple crumble, Milk tart jellies, deep fried frangipane, pear and vanilla puree, pear ice cream, dried apple, and a spun sugar ball.

post-15332-0-99464500-1367052081_thumb.jpg

Warm Chocolate pudding(chocolate fondant), Chocolate soil, White chocolate and vanilla mousse, chocolate and nut brownie chocolate toffee sauce and peanut butter ice cream

post-15332-0-61237200-1367052288_thumb.jpg

Pistachio Macaroon with a pistachio Nougatine filling, Pistachio dust, Lemon mousse, strawberry puree, strawberry Jelly, Turkish Delight, and a Rhubarb sorbet

post-15332-0-02677600-1367052500_thumb.jpg

Apple Napolean(3 layers of home made puff pastry and 3 layers apple and honey), apple puree, coconut covered marshmallow, honeycomb, deep fried frangipane covered in crushed tennis biscuits, apple cake pieces, pear and vanilla Ice cream and a apple crisp

post-15332-0-03360500-1367052751_thumb.jpg

Cheesecake quenelle, lemon souffle, Lemon cake croutons, tennis biscuit crumbs, Lemon curd foam, and white chocolate and coconut sorbet.

post-15332-0-65736000-1367053093_thumb.jpg

Coffee and hazelnut ice cream sandwich(the 2 layers had to be churned separately) coffee cake crumble with coffee bean praline and cocoa nibs, coffee reduction, cappuccino jellies mascarpone quenelles, coffee foam, and chocolate isomalt garnishes.

post-15332-0-46236000-1367053449_thumb.jpg

Chocolate fondant, chocolate toffee sauce, bitter chocolate soil, chocolate peanut brownie, salted chocolate mousse, peanut butter ice cream, and peanut brittle

post-15332-0-39171400-1367053657_thumb.jpg

Coconut biscuits, Lemon curd, Lemon foam, lemon jelly, white chocolate and coconut sorbet, lemon syrup, poppy seed meringue and deep fried mint for garnish.

post-15332-0-70918000-1367053816_thumb.jpg

Strawberries and cream: vanilla creme pat, strawberry jelly, dried strawberries, strawberry marshmallow, strawberry meringue, strawberry leather, macerated strawberries, strawberry swirl ice cream, red peppercorn shortbread biscuit, puff pastry and strawberry jam.

post-15332-0-89079800-1367054682_thumb.jpg

A taste of vanilla: vanilla creme brulee, vanilla yoghurt spheres, caramel spheres, vanilla biscuits, vanilla and white choc mousse(orgasmic), caramel sauce, caramel popcorn and a dried vanilla pod.

post-15332-0-41454900-1367054958_thumb.jpg

4 layered chocolate tart(flourless chocolate brownie, bitter chocolate crumble, dark chocolate tart, dark/bitter chocolate glaze) chocolate brownie and hazelnut crumble, toffee banana sphere, milk chocolate air, banana crisp, peanut butter ice cream

post-15332-0-09966200-1367055251_thumb.jpg

Apricot and white chocolate panna cotta, apricot jelly, apricot puree, dried peaches, nectarine sorbet, apricot sorbet, almond crumble with sous vide apricots, almond and honey ice cream and deep fried lemon verbena for garnish

post-15332-0-43389300-1367055458_thumb.jpg

Mango-fresh coconut-litchi-mint salsa, gingerbread, coconut biscuits, cheesecake mousse, mango sorbet, white chocolate and coconut sorbet, litchi granita and deep fried basil for garnish

post-15332-0-20800000-1367055879_thumb.jpg

Delta!

Some more pictures...

slow roasted purple figs with honey, almond crumble, macerated figs, dried figs, white chocolate yoghurt and star anise mousse, honey almond ice cream, honey comb, profiteroles filled with frangipane and honey drizzled over

post-15332-0-58326900-1367056148_thumb.jpg

Lots of chocolate flavours and pistachio kisses: Dark chocolate parfait rolled in cocoa nibs, chocolate syrup, chocolate-pistachio-deep fried-wild-rice-soil(it is supposed to look like maggots on a forest soil), dark chocolate air, chocolate macaroon with chocolate orange mousse, pistachio ice cream covered in bitter chocolate and a small chocolate fondant.

post-15332-0-77169500-1367056480_thumb.jpg

Lemon tart, passion fruit coulis, passion fruit marshmallow, passion fruit meringue, lemon jelly, passion fruit frozen yogurt, white chocolate and coconut sorbet, passion fruit and lemon cake, lemon curd foam.

post-15332-0-50755200-1367056642_thumb.jpg

Carrot cake, spiced carrot foam, carrot cake ice cream, roasted banana sorbet, raisin gel, dried carrot, spiced honey tuilles filled with cardamom creme pat, walnut butter, cream cheese spheres, and cream cheese snow

post-15332-0-31991400-1367056863_thumb.jpg

Delta!

• Like! 1

Desert on the top has taken my breath away

Figs are a very new thing for me to "like". Never cared much for them when I was growing up, that and dates... all that wax.

But my newly found super powered appreciation has now been flamed by your desert...plus that word frangipane

gogo

Hey gogo.

Of the current desserts, the purple figs dessert is my favourite, to plate and prepare, also the one that I would order, where I to eat there.

Although figs are going out of season soon, and chef wants us to change the dessert to something with pumpkin(pie) and sweetcorn, so far the sweetcorn ice cream taste is good but something with the texture is not right, almost like curdled egg, but I think it is just the sweetcorn puree that can't be made fine enough... I will keep you updated on this topic.

Second is the taste of vanilla, that white chocolate mousse is so amazingly delicious... and the creme brulee is not too bad either, all the flavours together works well.

with the chocolate dessert, it looks really wonderful, like an actual forest floor, but it is lacking something for me, maybe a sweet component, all the flavours are very dark bitter choc flavours.

at the moment, the lemon tart is our best seller by far...

Delta!

• Like! 1

Always a place for lemon tart in peoples' heart! With the amazing new ideas in deserts, people mixing herbs, savory and sweet, and this going mainstream, basic flavors seem to always form the components of loved classics.

gogo

I wonder is there something like the german Rote/Gelbe/Grüne Grütze in south africa?

http://www.thegermankitchen.com/index.php/recipes/2009/05/rote-grutze-german-red-fruit-pudding-recipe-red-grits/

Red/Yellow/Green is just from the colour of the fruits used. Our cherries are mainly of a yellow variant (less likely to be eaten by birds) and we mix with apricot and instead of corn(or potato) starch we use buckwheat groat. Well just what grews at our place. Tastes really great with vanilla ice.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder is there something like the german Rote/Gelbe/Grüne Grütze in south africa?

http://www.thegermankitchen.com/index.php/recipes/2009/05/rote-grutze-german-red-fruit-pudding-recipe-red-grits/

Red/Yellow/Green is just from the colour of the fruits used. Our cherries are mainly of a yellow variant (less likely to be eaten by birds) and we mix with apricot and instead of corn(or potato) starch we use buckwheat groat. Well just what grews at our place. Tastes really great with vanilla ice.

Hey Chattius. nope, we don't have anthing like that in SA... but an interesting read. we usually get cherries around Christmas time, and chef only allows us to use it with the christmas menu, because it is "expensive"... Although hot section used it until they were out of season, so I'm not sure where the fairness is in that.

the new dessert that has replaced the Purple figs. is a very savoury dessert.

Sweet corn and white chocolate mousse, sweetcorn cream patisserie, gingerbread melba toast, pumpkin ice cream, pecan nut tart balls and honeycomb. Me and the pastry chef feels it lacks something, but the head chef doesn't want more components, as he feels it will draw attention away from the sweetcorn and pumpkin...

post-15332-0-68437600-1369582177_thumb.jpg

we are closing for upgrades and repairs in a weeks time, but when we go back, we will probably do a whole new menu, and we will do tasting menu's for dinner.

Delta!

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We plated the new desserts today, Chef said he wants to keep the lots of chocolate flavours and the lemon tart on the menu.

starting again with service tomorrow.

post-15332-0-57862900-1372017239_thumb.jpg

Poached guava, guava white chocolate and cinnamon mousse, guava sorbet, greek shortbread, vanilla crumble, guava puree, cinnamon creme pat

post-15332-0-43956900-1372017285_thumb.jpg

Brioche filled with a fromage blanc pastry cream(fromage blanc is a soft, fresh cheese made with buffalo milk, the taste and texture is like a mixture between plain yoghurt and cream cheese), burnt almond ice cream, honey comb and sliced almonds, the brioche has a basic strudel on top and gets flaked almonds and honey on before being warmed up for serving.

we also plated the new caramel dessert but chef changed the plating and the ice melted to quickly to allow decent photo's will poste tomorrow!

Delta!

• Like! 1

Nice recipes, we did Spaghettieis 3 days ago when temperatures were at 37 Celcius, strawberries are ripe and it is quickly done having a press for potato damplings, which can be used for noodles too.

Spaghettieis -spaghetti-ice

Spaghetti- replaced by vanilla ice pressed through a noodle machine

tomato ketchup- replaced by strawberry sauce

parmesan cheese- replaced by coconut pieces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettieis

Our vanilla ice is more yellow than in the picture, adding a bit saffron for a more spaghetti-like colour.

spaghettiEisbutton-770x460.jpg

• Like! 1

Nice recipes, we did Spaghettieis 3 days ago when temperatures were at 37 Celcius, strawberries are ripe and it is quickly done having a press for potato damplings, which can be used for noodles too.

Our vanilla ice is more yellow than in the picture, adding a bit saffron for a more spaghetti-like colour.

That looks really great chattius. I can only imagine the confusion when you start eating it thinking it is spaghetti bolognaise. Hehe

I like how you replace all the components with something else, even the parmesan...

Spagehti-ice was invented in the nineteen-sixteens in germany. Read the wiki link in last post. Here it is quite common at icebars. But it isn'ttoocomplicated to make it yourself.

If I would have invented it vanilla ice would be meadowsweet ice ;)

We plated the new desserts today, Chef said he wants to keep the lots of chocolate flavours and the lemon tart on the menu.

starting again with service tomorrow.

attachicon.gifCopy of IMG_0067.jpg

Poached guava, guava white chocolate and cinnamon mousse, guava sorbet, greek shortbread, vanilla crumble, guava puree, cinnamon creme pat

attachicon.gifCopy of IMG_0072.jpg

Brioche filled with a fromage blanc pastry cream(fromage blanc is a soft, fresh cheese made with buffalo milk, the taste and texture is like a mixture between plain yoghurt and cream cheese), burnt almond ice cream, honey comb and sliced almonds, the brioche has a basic strudel on top and gets flaked almonds and honey on before being warmed up for serving.

we also plated the new caramel dessert but chef changed the plating and the ice melted to quickly to allow decent photo's will poste tomorrow!

Delta!

I adore the plating in the top photo of your post...reminds me of the beach, sea shells... awesome work!

I've only seen that once in a restaurant years back, it's as astonishing to see live as it is in photos.

Lucky Chattius

:D

g0g0

• 7 months later...

I feel terrible, I haven't posted any new photos from La Residence, I don't have to many, but what I do have I'll post.

A baked apple tart, that was served with a honey butter sauce, estate green and purple figs, almond crumble and cinnamon ice cream.

post-15332-0-39584000-1390981564_thumb.jpg

I made a good flavoured bread, curried cauliflower, with linseeds and sesame seeds.

post-15332-0-11333100-1390981646_thumb.jpg

some freshly made ginger biscuits, it gets placed all over the hotel in cookie jars and especially in the rooms and it is served with coffee and tea. the General manager said they are better than a meaningful one night stand... :blush:

post-15332-0-80666400-1390981714_thumb.jpg

for Lunch we had a "La Residence beef burger. 230g ground sirloin patty, fresh toasted bun, gherkins, plum tomato, mature cheddar, bacon and roquette. served with a small side salad, and chips.

post-15332-0-86105400-1390981844_thumb.jpg

for a wedding celebration a while ago the dessert was a chocolate macadamia nougat tart, served with a mango sorbet, fresh berries, and sugar crystalline.

post-15332-0-20727200-1390985546_thumb.jpg

the couple didn't want canapes in the traditional way, but they asked for a cheese buffet before the meal was served. I can't remember all the cheeses that was on there, but there was about 10 varieties, bread sticks, crackers, preserved fruit, fresh fruit, biltong, droewors, melba toast...

post-15332-0-34275500-1390985781_thumb.jpg

I don't have a photo of the finished product, but I have a halfway through prepped photo...

an estate fig and frangipane tart. it was served with an estate fig and sherry sorbet.

post-15332-0-00244700-1390986228_thumb.jpg

Will try to post again soon!

Delta!

I have to try out a Frankfurter Kranz at weekend. The youngest kid from my diseased friend wished for one.

I have to do at least double the size of this recipe ,because we are 10 and it reads 10 small pieces. A small piece is for grandmas not for kids.

http://germanfood.about.com/od/bakingindex/r/Recipe-For-The-Famous-Frankfurter-Kranz.htm

I know that a Schwarzwälder Kirsch can be found everywhere in the world. I wonder if this is valid for the Frankfurter Kranz too.

• 1 month later...

Visited my former classmate and now restaurant owner at saturday. He had a brandnew thing at his restaurant: a big blackboard at the door:

Prices:

'Coffee!' 8 Euro

'A Coffee please!' 4 Euro

'Hello, a coffee please!' 3 Euro

'Hello, would you be so nice to bring me a coffee please?' 2 Euro

---

Prices halved when shivering from rain or cold or asked with a smile.

• Like! 1