Sacred 3 for iPod

Schot

Now how about this for a marketing strategy. Develope a miniature version of the presently under developement game Sacred 3 for iPod, Android and others. They could make it with only the seraphim, maybe one other class, with a single small map of game play. Maybe even sell the miniature and continue building on it for hand helds to make an extra buck or two. Gameloft seems to be doing really well in this domain of gaming.

Getting a miniature out 6 months to a year before the Sacred 3 release could be a great way to market the game. I play these games myself and it's just amazing how great the quality can be.

That looks really good! There are some amazing things being done on mobile devices these days, look at this game I got on my iPhone...the graphics are great, storyline...pretty repeptitive, but the looks are insane:

I think that something like a miniature preview version of S3 on a mobile device would be something that would be tricky to do...maintaining the feel and right look and playstyle would be tough, but if done well would be an awesome little teaser if it was released a bit before the actual game. What would be cooler if it allowed us to unlock something in the actual version upon completion.

What an amazing idea. I like the idea of making a quick run with a mini version of this game, while also sending out advanced marketing to get the fanbase excited. The OS's on the new ipod's are just sick. I just look at the kind of games these little beasties are capable of, and I wonder if, as the demise of the desktop has been touted, if lap tops could be an endangered species as well :lol:

Making marketing for the phones is going to hugely impact the release, and being able to dip into a little bit of Sacred wherever we go for some quick blood and guts sounds so soothing.

:devil:

gogo

p.s. LOL DB..that trailer for the phone is SICK. Is it really on the phone itself? :o

Sacred 3 MUST come out on portables!

In my experience, developers who are usually focused on PC/console games tend to miss the mark on handhelds.

The main problems I have seen are; trying to port games and not modifying the difficulty/controls (Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light) and creating games that are way to involved and require a lot of time to play (Inotia series).

Most of the major development companies want to push their big name titles to the new platform without spending time on redeveloping the games to work specifically for the device. A good percentage of the market is looking for casual pick up and play titles and this is not what they are delivering.

This has left the door open for smaller independent developers to really shine. They are developing specifically for their chosen platform and it shows. Easy to learn but difficult to master. Some examples are Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, Dead Runner, Canabalt, Fruit Ninja, etc.

I'd love to see a scaled down, almost jRPG version of Sacred for mobile devices, but this would require a full rethink on the way the game plays and I definitely wouldn't want them spending development time that could be going to the PC version to make it happen.

Infinity Blade is great, really enjoying the 'bloodline' concept, great way to build on your progress. If you like the visuals of the game, grab 'Epic Citadel', it is the precursor development environment and allows you to walk around a full castle layout. Very cool stuff (free too).

I'm not sure if it would be a good thing or a bad thing if an aRPG on an Iphone/etc required you to rotate the camera to look around, or swing the phone up & down/side to side/etc to do melee attacks (no that you would then be able to see what's happening on the screen, but you get the idea).

I'm not sure if it would be a good thing or a bad thing if an aRPG on an Iphone/etc required you to rotate the camera to look around, or swing the phone up & down/side to side/etc to do melee attacks (no that you would then be able to see what's happening on the screen, but you get the idea).

I can't speak for myself as I've only played Infinity Blade and Dungeon Hunters 2 for iPod and they're not the kind of RPG where you have to move the camera around while walking around but lots of people seem to like this game...

From what I've seen it seems feasible at least. Now the shaking the phone/iPod to attack...methinks that wouldn't work out so well. :blink:

I d'loaded undercroft for my ipod for free.... I then had to try runescape by the same makers... I may end up next month if I still like runescape, paying for membership for 90 days. This type of marketing in my book works since undercroft has lead to me playing the fullversion and watching thier $$ generating ads. Deep Silver would be stupid to atleast not research if a small version of s3 would be possible on the ipod. A prequel type thing that would whet peoples appetite for the full version on the pc or console.

I d'loaded undercroft for my ipod for free.... I then had to try runescape by the same makers... I may end up next month if I still like runescape, paying for membership for 90 days. This type of marketing in my book works since undercroft has lead to me playing the fullversion and watching thier $$ generating ads. Deep Silver would be stupid to atleast not research if a small version of s3 would be possible on the ipod. A prequel type thing that would whet peoples appetite for the full version on the pc or console.

Is your iPod jailbroken Genenut?

This might be a very unique development approach when it comes to mobile gaming. The sole purpose of marketing a different product for a different device. As a marketing ploy the S3 app should take up minimal dev time and focus on teasing people with a soon to be released product. Ultimately, a glorified interactive app commercial, lol. From my point of view the design should focus on a few selling qualities of S3. The Seraphim, a taste of the story line(olr prequel as mentioned), combat arts and unique items. Probably the easiest quality to implement in terms or visual design as well as it's absolute best quality is... Item modifiers. In general Item modifiers in rpgs are under utilized in comparison to the Sacred franchise but I bet they're used even less in mobile games. So a mobile game with many complex item modifiers would likely be a huge hit for "mobilers". The game should have links to trailers and anything else that would inform the "mobiler" about S3.

To make the best of this opportunity it should be very short and free. Just have a look in the App Store under the listing of "Top Free". That's somewhere I visit often in search of a fun little time passer. If Deep Silver played their cards right they could possibly win #1 ranking considering the competition there is weak. And who wouldn't want a free game?

P.s.

I emailed Deep Silver directing them to this topic. Hopefully they'll be inspired by everyone's thoughts. :)

I like the idea, short and simple with a quick taste of what is essential to sacred...the seraphim, the ca system and item modifiers. Also, linking to previews/info/videos would be a nice touch.

Wonder if the new SIF community manager will see this...get him to poke around for us :whistle:

Is your iPod jailbroken Genenut?

Nope perfectly legal.... new 4th gen ipod touch .... :D

Actually jailbreaking itself is perfectly legal. Using it to pirate apps isn't, but just about everything else is. My iPhone is jailbroken to allow me to simply add functions that apple would otherwise not want you to have.

• 1 month later...

What you guys forgot:

Tegra2 and the upcoming Kal-El (Tegra 3).

DualCore Phones/Tablets/MIDs with NVIDIA graphics.

The actual Tegra 2 does graphics like this:

large_vendetta2.jpg

Or:

large_galaxy3.jpg

Or:

large_backbreaker2.jpg

Powered with Android.

Btw, I'm a big fan of Myst - and the iPhone has now a completely reworked Version for Myst1! ... Maybe, one days we see Sacred1 on our smartphones! ;)

There are some Android<->DOS/Unix tools which can starts an older PC-Software on Android. Seen with FreeCIV and Hereos of Might and Magic 2(? or 3?...).

And forget the graphics from iPad/iPhone... NVIDIA announced with the Kal-El a quadcore-chip.

So - why not? If DeepSilver gives us some sources - it is possible(!) to rebuild everything with the UDK(Unreal Development Kit) or based on other engines.

And maybe, after the Kal-El we maybe see Sacred1 on our smartphones and can rule every christmas with our uber-characters! 8D

Kal El for the name of a Video Card?

omgod that's awesome!

:superman:

gogo

Its the name of the CPU/GPU chipset. Having said that, its kinda next years/late end of this year technology. Currently Tegra 2 is in the motorola Xoom, the only current gen table released compared to the iPad 2 which gets whipped by the iPad 2. Tegra 3...its a bit of a wait from what I recall... But by the time S3 comes out, some insane things will be possible on mobile devices.

Like, I don't know, making phone calls?

lol ew... talking on a cell?

:oooo:

gogo

p.s. actually one of my nephews (brat) has answering message on his cell phone.

"Hi, if you're calling to leave me a voice message...you're old"

*click*

I called my aunt and uncle to complain

brat

:mafia:

But by the time S3 comes out, some insane things will be possible on mobile devices.

Like, I don't know, making phone calls?

Lol...who uses their phone for making calls.

But yeah, it is necessary that the things work as a phone before adding everything else...like the iPhone 4 reception issue, hold it just so and say goodbye to your reception...definitely not what you would expect from apple or any company trying to sell a phone.