Help us Like SacredWiki on Facebook

Number 55 and 56 would both be me ;)

I looked through google to create a shiny button and found http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/. But it gives me HTML code for a page and somehow that code doesn't work on the wiki. So I guess we just have to try to make the link into a clickable image. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, I'll give it a try.

I googled for some like buttons, this one looked quite nice: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6vYRKt3R-AwiD5OnWf8HdI_d2_Dawjk5fQMh0ljUZUoQL6kzh

It's clear we mean Facebook and it's large, so it will capture attention (we can tone down the dimensions with wiki codes, but I was looking for a large image on purpose as the button shouldn't be too small so no one sees it). In order to make it work I need to upload it to the wiki. That button might be copyright protected though, so I'm not sure if I should upload it.

It's a nice button...but if you're worried about copyright, maybe there are other buttons for facebook offered for free on the net somewhere? Or maybe there are other buttons being used on Wiki's elsewhere we would be allowed to use?

:)

gogo

Well this one is used on some blog post, but I don't know. Too bad Facebooks own tool doesn't work with the wiki syntax. Otherwise I could just use the code wiki gives us and pasted it to the page, I tried that, but it won't accept the iframe tag. Perhaps HTML in general is disabled for wiki.

Can you at least bring in an image we can use to cover up the link? I will try and find Schot today, maybe he can have a look at the html enabling

gogo

With wiki code I can easily get an image over the text, I already tried that (using one of the images found on the front page). I could easily get that like button there once it's uploaded to the wiki. That's no problem at all. The problem is finding a picture that is free. I don't think anyone would sue is if we uploaded that image to the wiki and use it and in this age many people just do that. But you never can be sure. In fact I can do that with an image from the internet itself by just linking to the URL (just with this particular image I'm not getting a url that ends on .jpg or .png or something like that for some weird reason, but when I use a random photo on the internet I can easily place it over the text, so I could get a random like button from the internet. However it's not nice to link to images on other people's servers in my eyes).

If you have a poledancing seraphim or High Elf we can write "Like us on Facebook" on the image and use that :D

Edited by Fogeltje

I found a nice free button on a side. I'll upload that to the wiki file (the maker doesn't want others linking to the image on his server directly, if everyone did that his bandwidth would explode). It'll have to do for now. Remember it's not a real like button. It will take people to the wiki page directly, but they'll still have to like it manually, but it shouldn't be too hard :)

I love the new button! But are you sure there is no button for free that says Like? I ask because I notice that peeps are more likely to press on something called Like than Share... as like doesn't impact as much of someone's facebook world as share does.

gogo

I'm sure there is, I actually think the ones I found might be free, but the site doesn't specify it as such. That was the best I could find doing a quick search. I might do a more thorough search later on, but the sun is shining so I think I'll grab a news paper or magazine and spent a little time outside first.

Some sites actually had a free like button, but they work like that FB tool...they generate code for you and with that code I run into the HTML problem again which wiki will not accept. That site where I got the button from explicitly stated that I may download those files to my hard disk, then upload them to my own site and use them. I know most people wouldn't even bother at legality, simply copying and pasting stuff. But since the wiki probably attracts a lot of attention I don't want to take any risks.

If you would have no problems with it, I could upload that like button I showed to you earlier to the wiki.

Edited by Fogeltje

If you would have no problems with it, I could upload that like button I showed to you earlier to the wiki.

okay, let's go for it! If someone complains, they will ask us first via written first, so I'm not so stressed. As well, Fogeltje, do you think it's possible to put the like button on the index pages for Fallen Angel and Underworld?

Those three pages make up the bulk landing pages for SacredWiki

gogo

Alright, I'll simply overwrite the old image with a like button then, saves me the trouble of editing the image url on the wiki frontpage (yes, I'm THAT lazy and yes I'm still not outside reading my news paper).

How do you like it now? I had to change a bit after all since the new image was a bit big after all, changed it to a wiki internal image link so I could easily resize it with an extra parameter.

EDIT: Never mind, that doesn't work, LOL. I'll have to resize manually.

EDIT 2: Done.

Edited by Fogeltje

(yes, I'm THAT lazy and yes I'm still not outside reading my news paper).

ha

awwwwww, hey thanks Fogeltje

k, no more wiki... out to the sun! Actually we're having incredibly sunny weather here in Montreal, and I'm trying to see if I can get out of Work early too

gogo

Take note that the button is confusing as clicking on it doesn't automatically likes the page (and some people might think that). It only takes you to the FB page. If Schot were able to incorporate the "real" like button functionality by enabling HTML, that would be awesome.

Someone's going to have to write up an extension for the Wiki to use the Facebook button. Brad is saying that Media Wiki has changed their functionalities and now the facebook like code doesn't work.

Good news is...ever since you did the button, we have way more new members in that single day than in last two weeks. Thank Fogeltje!

Now at....

61poster-742042.jpg

gogo

I also added the new like link to both the single index's for original Sacred Underworld main page and Fallen Angel.

Fogeltje, do you know if it's possible for us to add it in the side bar as well... or...do you know other wiki's that have properly implemented the facebook like button or in the side bar? Maybe we can have a look at their code.

gogo

My wiki knowledges stops at the side bar I'm afraid. Regular wiki users on any wiki can't modify that so I have no knowledge about that. While looking for like buttons and like button functionality I did try to find how someone could come up with a like button for a wiki. I did find a page but what was written there was way too tech for me and might be outdated even.

I found it here: http://www.mwusers.com/forums/showthread.php?15167-Facebook-Like-Button Maybe our tech gods can do something with that? It links to this btw: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Facebook Like I said, my tech skills regarding wiki aren't good enough for this.

According to that mediawiki page:

XFBML

XFBML in wiki text is enabled by default. Non-secure tags and attributes are excluded from the final page output. Due to a bug in MediaWiki, the facebook-logo attribute of <fb:profile-pic> is also dropped from the final page output. Applying the patch posted to this bug report resolves this error. Hopefully the patch will be included in MediaWiki's code in the future.

If XFBML is enabled, then <fb:photo> maybe be used as an alternative for $wgAllowExternalImages with the added benefit that all photos are screened against Facebook's Code of Conduct and subject to dynamic privacy.

[edit] Tags that work

Activity Feed <fb:activity></fb:activity>

Comments <fb:comments></fb:comments>

Facepile <fb:facepile></fb:facepile>

Like Button <fb:like></fb:like>

Live Stream <fb:live-stream></fb:live-stream>

Login with Faces <fb:login-button></fb:login-button>

Recommendations <fb:recommendations></fb:recommendations>

I tried the XFBML code that FB generates for a standard like button, but it doesn't work (neither does just using the fb:like tag).

Edited by Fogeltje

Reading at the top: the Facebook extension for Media wiki has to be installed by an Administrator. If that extension were to be added, I think we could easily make a real like button with the tags described in that extension page.

Great finds guys. I'll see about making this work for us. I did have a look at that extension though I'm weary of using it. It's got much more than we need and it's also got that whole "beta" status which makes me nervous.

*Some time later...*

Ok, looks like we can use an extension I had installed some time ago. I'll want to change the like function in the future but for now we can use:

<websiteFrame>
website=http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sacredwiki.org&layout=standard&show_faces=true&width=450&action=like&font=verdana&colorscheme=light&height=80" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:450px; height:80px;" allowTransparency="true"
</websiteFrame>