Ack! Noooo! I've been attacked by a Virus!

Schot

Well this is an inconvenience... Ugh. I just got hit with a very aggresive virus. Bleh! I was researching via google for design tools and after spending about a minute on what appeared to be a descent site I was hit with a nasty; "Protect Your PC!" popup. Yeah right, I thought. I did the usual thing and activated Task Manager so that I could eradicate the intruding process. You can imagine my worry when I realized I couldn't reach my Task Man super power. The intruder was blocking access to Task Man. "Uh oh!" lol. I quickly assessed all the windows I had open and decided I could afford to make a quick exit. I first Logged off and thenshut down my system.

So here I ma now sitting in Safe Mode lala land. Boooooring. I'm running my Secuirty Essentials virus chaecker now and considering how much stuff I got on here... About a terrabyte. I think I'll be here a while.

Doh! Awh man. Wrong OS. Blarg. Guess I better reboot now... :crazy:

Well this is an inconvenience... Ugh. I just got hit with a very aggresive virus. Bleh! I was researching via google for design tools and after spending about a minute on what appeared to be a descent site I was hit with a nasty; "Protect Your PC!" popup. Yeah right, I thought. I did the usual thing and activated Task Manager so that I could eradicate the intruding process. You can imagine my worry when I realized I couldn't reach my Task Man super power. The intruder was blocking access to Task Man. "Uh oh!" lol. I quickly assessed all the windows I had open and decided I could afford to make a quick exit. I first Logged off and thenshut down my system.

So here I ma now sitting in Safe Mode lala land. Boooooring. I'm running my Secuirty Essentials virus chaecker now and considering how much stuff I got on here... About a terrabyte. I think I'll be here a while.

Doh! Awh man. Wrong OS. Blarg. Guess I better reboot now... :crazy:

You might want to grab a copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware and run a scan with it. It does a pretty good job of removing nasty crap like this from your system.

Ok, whew. The worst is over. The solution turned out to be a fairly simple one thankfully. I ran a full virus scan and after finding nothing I restarted only to have the virus pop up once again. So I went back into my Win 7 partition and found a handy Youtube guide on how to get rid of it which seems to have worked. Woohoo! Thaaaaank you RemoveVirus.org.

Not so lucky indeed DB!

@Frosty:

Weeeell, I'm afraid I'm not much of a fan of Yahoo. Yahoo developed a rep for "harbouring" viruses quite a long time ago and the impression has substantial staying power with me, heh. However that warning you mention is part of google as well. Of course a website needs to be reported first in order to be on the blacklist.

@stubbs:

Great piece of software. I have it in fact. Thankfully I didn't have to use it. I might just use it anyway though. Do a thorough scrub using several anti virus apps.

@gogo:

And cries too, lol.

Ever considered virtual machines to you have to just kill the virtual machine in case of a virus?

I do a weekly virus check from a Linux partition. I allways fear that when using windows the virus may stay undetected because it manipulated a system file.

What is also nice to see what is happening in your system are the tools from sysinternals (they are free). The makers used to write books about windows interna, discovered the sony rootkit, .. and were obviously this good that they were hire by microsoft and have their own site there.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Best is to download their whole sysinternal suite. I used their tools a lot: you can see which files are opened by a program, where it writes its savefiles, which processes it starts in the background, a replacement for the taskmanager ....

Hey there Schot.

Sorry to hear that bud, what a nightmare.

Bit worried that your virus checker didn't pick it up !

I'm not sure if maybe I have my wires crossed, but can't you just set your software to block all pop-ups ?

Steve.