Do you delete Emails?

Well, mostly not. Be it either Gmail or Hotmail they can handle the post I recieve. What I do delete, are most of the newsletters from various places.

Other I archive with some custom folders I've made.

Depends what it is about. Something that is only valid for a week or two, will be deleted after that time, ex. emails from yuppie chef, listing specials or new products.

At home, I seriously manage my email. My main restriction is max space allowed by my ISP: 100MB. So I occasionally sort by size and see what can go (sometimes it means saving pictures to my HD so I can delete the email).

Guess my rule of thumb is delete it if I'll never want to see it again. If I'm in doubt, I keep it. Then every few months I go thru my entire inbox and purge some more.

At home, yes. At work, never! (CYA and all...)

At former job, we were told to keep nothing over 2 years old for liability reasons, which meant putting all old emails into an archive file so the hardheads wouldn't come down on us.

I delete almost everything.

I hang onto an 'out' mail if I'm waiting for a reply. That way I know how long I've been waiting, then after a while, I get to think "they ain't coming back" then that get's deleted too.

Like others have said, I hate clutter, and I'm not exactly sentimental about stuff like that.

So, I guess the short answer to the original question would be "yes" !

See ya,

Steve. :)

Here's some of my reasons why I don't delete anymore

1. One well-worded search is faster than going into files and rooting through emails
  2. You never know when you'll need something
  3. Keeping everything costs nothing
  4. As a searchable database, it also becomes the worlds best filing system. When I make payments over the phone for anything I can note, in the title in my gmail the authorization numbers and company name, and I can find anything like this instantly.
  5. Deleting stuff takes more time (After I junk anything, that to me, is obvious spam)

:)

gogo

Here's some of my reasons why I don't delete anymore

1. One well-worded search is faster than going into files and rooting through emails
  2. You never know when you'll need something
  3. Keeping everything costs nothing
  4. As a searchable database, it also becomes the worlds best filing system. When I make payments over the phone for anything I can note, in the title in my gmail the authorization numbers and company name, and I can find anything like this instantly.
  5. Deleting stuff takes more time (After I junk anything, that to me, is obvious spam)

gogo

You make a lot of sense there Gogo, but I rarely get anything of importance via the e-mail, tbh.

When I do, I tend to print it out so I have a hard copy...............please don't call me a tree killa !! :unsure:

Ourselves, we are changing all the time. I never throw away a single message form any of my friends, just because I don't know when it would be cool for me to look at it again.

lol, my mom has a bunch of old hand-written letters all tied up somewhere too which she'll never throw out, but keeps re-reading.

I don't really re-read emails, but it's nice to know all the data is still there and I can resurrect anyone I want in the blink of an eye.

poof.gif

gogo

I don't delete either. My inbox has untold thousands of emails sitting there because I can keep them there and be able to recall them when I want.

Exactly my feeling on this as well. Those emails actually form a kind of alternate brain. People, places, purchases, you name it.

If there's anything anyone wants to upload after I'm gone to make a mini me on the new Matrix, it's probably gonna be my emails

:lol:

gogo

• 1 month later...