Game of Thrones (Beware, may contain heart-breaking spoilers)

Katran

Game of Thrones is a new TV show that will come out on the April 17th on HBO. The fact that it comes out on HBO says a lot since this wont be a TV show for kids to watch it will be a more aimed at grown ups. It screen play is adopted from the best selling novel series with the same name. The cast is stellar for this project so we should really be having a blast with this show. Take a look for yourself!

This could be The Series for me, as I mostly watch only animes, not live action series Seeing it's HBO I've got my hopes high. ^^

Didn't really finish the books, but I guess this'd be a good chance to get 'em on again.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping they get it right as well. I have been watching a lot of the "how to" 's on the series they've been spinning out. Ned Stark is played by one of my favorite actors from Lord of the Rings, and this series has enough canon, myth and characters to make it almost fool proof.

Did I say fool proof?

Crossing me fingers here.

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

I watched the first episode on "Sky Atlantic" here last night and I must say it looks very promising, although you can see the influence of the TV execs in the way that they couldn't manage more than about 5 minutes between sex scenes. Half of which did nothing for the story, or even seemed relevant to it. I think they should have spent less time on that and more on showing who some of the characters are. So far they are just a vague collection of characters who are inter-related in some way that isn't apparent to me. It would be nice to know what the story is about and we shouldn't have to go research that elsewhere to understand what the series is about.

I love this show with Camalot out at the same time I think we will get a full shear of Fantasy based shows.

P.S.: Both topics have been merged!:)

I was a bit thrown back with the sexcapades, lol..I don't watch Bravo often, guess this is their style? The original book series did draw me in though, and has remained at the top of my favorite all times books ever read. I'll keep up with the series for at least a few more episodes too, I know its gets very involved, and that dwarf is nasty, and lots of fun to read, he looks to be a good interpretation of his literary original.

gogo

I dont really have a problem with the showing of sex in the show.

The trend started back in 2005 in ROME then it went on in the Tudors and then in Spartacus. The truth of the matter in all of this shows and as well in Game of Thrones the sex is not really there to "sell" the show but its there to correctly portray the story or in service of it.

That kind of use is ok for me since all of this shows that have started and kept the trend were and are intended for a target group that is over 18.

I'd actually forgotten what an 18 and over tv series was like... only used to seeing the normal heads shearing off etc like in Saw on the screen ^^ I'm going to stick with the series, I need something new and Tyrion has pulled me in, almost exactly like he did ( and I expected him to do) from the book series.

Lady's fate broke my heart just like in the book

:(

gogo

I just really like the theme intro to the show. That to me is the absolute best part of the show, lol. To be honest, I haven't seen anything in the show yet that bests the intro... I love the idea and the basis of the story is appealing but so far I don't have that feeling that I NEED to see the next episode. If it were to be canceled all of the sudden it wouldn't make a difference to me. That said there are some excellent plot devices and actors. It just hasn't reached a point of great interest to me yet.

Oh and I kinda agree about the sex. I don't mind sex in shows but some shows "use" sex much better than others. True Blood for example had a fair bit of sex in it though with vampires and whatnot it's almost expected. Still, True Blood seemed to use sex in an intelligent stylish way. Whereas in Game of Thrones some of the sex scenes come off a bit weak. In fact I find both the barbarian dude and princess chicky weak links in the show. Not sure why yet but probably not a good match those two. On the other hand, Tyrion's sex scene made sense and was also very funny. I suppose the saying is true even in acting. It's not the acting skills that you have but how you use those skills that matters eh?

I'm just waiting for that famous beginning drama from this series. There's a lot of nuances that tv just isn't cutting for me here. I guess I needed the very long passages to be able to read up more on these persons to be able to connect and feel for them like I did in the book. I have a feeling this next one or two episodes is gonna be make or break for me.

C'mon someone ...show me some wizard's fire!

wizards-fire.jpg

gogo

When Game of Thrones came out every place you turned on the net it was spelling cancel for Camelot but I am not the one to shear that view.

Camelot has shown a lot more action and a nice twist to a good old story and I just love the concept of magic being an addiction and there being consequences for using magic shown in Morgan and Merlin.

All in all I see in Game of Thrones a lot of plotting and so on like in The Tudors and not much action and in a way I am fine with it. As long as both shows keep running I will get both Friday action with Camelot, Sunday plotting and skimming with Game of Thrones. :4rofl:

I'm addicted to this show and the books are even more amazing. It is missing some key points of the books but I'll forgive it because it has: SEAN BEAN!!

Well, I just saw the last one. It got me more to a thinking, and I'm feeling some kindling of an affection finally for the dwarf... but guys... don't you think they're REALLY stretching this out... I mean... Ned er... well we all know huh? I didn't think it took this long in the book to get to that part.

I guess I'm gonna watch this...but I wouldn't mind a little bit of magic once in a while...c'mon!

:P

gogo

• 2 months later...

It took me a while to finally watch this series to see what the fuss was about. I've become obsessed with the intro, and I actually like what I'm seeing as far as the first part of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series goes. It was also seeing this that I finally realized the story that an old friend of mine had read and talked about. He talked about a series of fantasy novels he had read with characters and plot twists and the like, including a certain climatic scene involving Ned. I finally know after years what he was talking about.

I watched the whole series and enjoyed it so much I bought the book. That has proved to be even better, adding detail and feeling into bits the television series left shallow or emptry. How on earth did I miss this fantastic story on its initial release? I'm now on the second book, A Clash of Kings, having read A Game of Thrones*. Well done George Martin on this series, and bad me for missing it the first time round!

I have been disappointed time and time again when a favorite book has been made into a movie or series. The Sword of Truth immediately comes to mind. I really thought it would happen again but the series on HBO has been nothing short of fantastic. They really captured the essence of GRRM's books and the acting/scenery has been top notch. Also, that the series has been holding very close to the actual events in the books has been a pleasant surprise. Knowing HBO has already picked it up for a second season bodes well for them continuing thru all the books and not just the first one.

Even better news is that the 5th book (A Dance with Dragons) has just been released and will probably get tonight.

Five books down, two more to go. I need to find those novels. :P

I know, I want them too. Books are so expensive :twitch: ,and I've kept been looking for the books second hand in my store, but over past few years, nothing's come up... no chance now with this series being released

Big Wah

:cry:

gogo

Five books down, two more to go. I need to find those novels. :P

I know, I want them too. Books are so expensive :twitch: ,and I've kept been looking for the books second hand in my store, but over past few years, nothing's come up... no chance now with this series being released

Big Wah

:cry:

gogo

Umm. abebooks.com (for second hand books, some as cheap as a .01 (plus shipping--they make their money on the shipping--but not often all that much).