Game of Thrones (Beware, may contain heart-breaking spoilers)

Katran

Just wondering.....was this the first episode where no one died?

Just re-watched it and had that thought....not going back through all other seasons to verify...but I do wonder

• Like! 1

Just wondering.....was this the first episode where no one died?

Just re-watched it and had that thought....not going back through all other seasons to verify...but I do wonder

zomgod, yer right... I knew something was wrong!!

:4rofl:

gogo

I can't wait to see that little girl lose to Arya when her life is on the line. I wish they had shown more of Arya's training so we'd see what a badass she's become. They don't really tell us much about her progress on the show. But I'm ecstatic to see that she retrieved needle.

they really did a good job of vilifying that waif... indeed, very satisfying when they meet up...

:viking:

gogo

Ok I'm just about done with this show. Another eventless episode. I know they need to advance the story but nothing is actually happening. Only three episodes left and all we're doing is building to the finale. I think it's because Martin didn't have the new book for them to follow. The writers are on their own now. I hope the last three episodes are worth the slow pace.

Yeah it's strange. No big insane plot twists, but I feel things are moving along, actually significantly more quickly than usual. It's eventless, but not slow-paced.

I think it's just that they want to get so many people into such different places and positions than they are in right now. It takes some time to get the pieces into place without skipping so much that it becomes confusing. That being said, I know some twists are in store. Who was Sansa writing to? Baelish? What's Circe's plan now that she's alone? Where will the Hound end up? How will Arya heal herself?

I'm thinking next week will have a lot of the Essos storyline since it was completely absent this episode.

Not sure how to feel.....

Been rumors there will be 2 more seasons but only 13 episodes total. So I would think some loose ends/plots would start being resolved. But now we have 2 characters back from the dead (Sandor Clegane & Benjen Stark). King's Landing seems as chaotic as ever. The North still has no resolution yet. And Daenerys is still in Mereen/Dothraki grasslands.

So it looks like we get about 16 more epsiodes to conclude everything. It has to start ramping up in a hurry. I just worry that we've had so much buildup/storyline that the remaining episodes will feel a bit rushed. Or it will be like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. 14 books but the last one seemed to rush everything and so many plot lines were unresolved. I loved the books but the last ones not so much. But that could be because Brandon Sanderson had to fill in and finish after Jordan passed away.

This season just feels different. Not sure if it's because, as Veracious mentions, there is no book 6 to reference, or that I'm not binge watching the season/already know will happen. I'm still enjoying the season, just hope a few big battles happen soon. Though not sure if the Tully's and Lannisters/Freys will happen if episode 8 preview is any indication. Won't say anything yet as not sure everyone watched it at the end of episode 7.

One of my theories seems to be coming true as Sandor came back (was very strongly hinted at in books). Now 2nd part means confronting someone. But not sure about that part as I don't see any hints/foreshadowing of that happening yet.

Or it will be like the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. 14 books but the last one seemed to rush everything and so many plot lines were unresolved. I loved the books but the last ones not so much. But that could be because Brandon Sanderson had to fill in and finish after Jordan passed away.

I think he did an admirable job considering the Herculean task appointed to him. He had a tin ear for some of the dialogue, but considering Robert Jordan planned to write one only more book, Sanderson being able to finish it all in three books was impressive. Jordan's middle books plodded along and let the plot threads sprawl further and further apart, and it was up to Sanderson to pick up the pieces and weave them all back together.

It's the same with the show. The last 3 books were largely dull and empty barring a smattering of interesting conflicts and twists. Now the show has to take that and turn it into something compelling, resolving plotlines and moving things towards an ending that for now still seems miles and ages away.

Oh not bashing Sanderson at all.....just so many prophecies/visions etc seem unfulfilled, especially Matt Cauthon's Aelfinn/Eelfinn visions and all the stuff with the Seanchan Princess. Many of Min's visions didn't really seem to matter much in the end either. I hate loose ends at the conclusion of a book/tv series, especially if there isn't going to be another series or spinoff. (again I could be wrong and they were mostly tied up...but that was deifinitely the feeling I got at the end of the last book)

That said, if you had randomly given me a chapter written by Jordan and one from Sanderson I don't think I could tell you with any suriety who wrote which. The plodding nature of long books or series is fine wih me as it usually means a lot of backstory/depth for the characters. But I want the characters to have a purpose/aim/goal and sometimes I feel that isn't happening.

• Like! 1

Don't get me wrong I love the story despite not having been a fan from the beginning. My gf got me into the show in season four. I had to binge the rest. I just feel like the show is going really slow. The pit falls of having so many main characters. I also don't like that it's only ten episodes. Now they want to shorten the next season? How are they going to do any better in fewer episodes? Next week at least looks action packed. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Don't get me wrong I love the story despite not having been a fan from the beginning. My gf got me into the show in season four. I had to binge the rest. I just feel like the show is going really slow. The pit falls of having so many main characters. I also don't like that it's only ten episodes. Now they want to shorten the next season? How are they going to do any better in fewer episodes? Next week at least looks action packed. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

It seems we might be grumbling a bit but I think all of us are definitely enjoying the season. They set such a high bar that any let down seems glaring. In an ok to good series we might not be saying anything.

I can't understand the shortened seasons 7 & 8 either (if it's true). I can't be for lack of ratings, GoT has to be a gold mine for HBO and I would think they would want to keep this going as long as the ratings are there. So if it's lack of story/content...well can't see that either. Just sooooo many plots/storylines to reconcile that having only 16 or so episodes left doesn't seem enough.

Also heard that actors get the 7 year itch....most don't want to be pigeon-holed into one type of role forever known for just one character....but haven't heard anything about that and the way people die on this show, only a few have to worry about that anyways.

I do hope they have a spin-off or two....I doubt we'd get Robert's Rebellion but maybe something like Dunk and Egg...already have most of the props needed. Wouldn't mind someting about the creation of the Wall or when Valyria was a vibrant city either.

Yea it would be cool to see more of the prequel type stories. Where the swords came from. Why they were made. How they did it. The origins of the dragons and the targeryans or however you spell it. Why they're fire proof. I like the lore aspect of the story.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Seriously...I've been waiting for this epic battle between the Waif and Arya...the protege vs the rebel..and they don't show it? dang lol. I have been looking forward to that for a looong time...

I swear if the preview for next weeks Battle of the Barstewards! does that, see Ramsay and Jon square off only to cut to another scene..and not see the fight, only the results...I'm gonna be sooooo piffed.

Rant over....it was a good episode though...wasn't expecting that result from Riverrun though....and thought Tyrion might be in a better position when Daenerys returned. She comes back to a battle basically initiated by him....wonder how she'll react to that.

I really thought that scene with Thoros, Beric Dondarion and Sandor Clegane might lead to a character reveal. Especially when he headed to river to...ummm....answer the call of nature....now I'm thinking that character is written out of the series :(

Battle for the north looks epic though :D

Snoozefest. These episodes are doing work moving the story along but they're not entertaining. And I agree, why is all the combat not being shown? We got a long boring chase scene.

Stoneheart's not appearing Knuckles. Best make peace with it.

Snoozefest. These episodes are doing work moving the story along but they're not entertaining. And I agree, why is all the combat not being shown? We got a long boring chase scene.

Stoneheart's not appearing Knuckles. Best make peace with it.

I really didn't think they would reveal Lady Stoneheart....but seeing Lem Lemoncloak made me hope. He is closely tied with her in the books, so when he showed up last episode I started to wonder. Why have that specific character show up? Guess it was just a quick nod to her without having her in the tv show.

Hopefully all the setup is done...only 2 more episodes...so there better be some action

Oh one last rant....please no more scenes with Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei having small talk

Though the episode wasn't visually entertaining I find it fantastic that after arya sought the faceless for assassin training she ends up killing one with the training she got from her "dance teacher". Knowing she killed her in the dark is awesome even though we couldn't see it.

My step son and I also said what's with this scene about telling jokes? These writers are failing horribly.

The only action was the hound axing the guys who killed his friends and then he didn't even get to kill the other three. I don't know what is going on in the writers room but Martin needs to start setting boots to asses.

Oh one last rant....please no more scenes with Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei having small talk

My step son and I also said what's with this scene about telling jokes? These writers are failing horribly.

This stuff was agonizing. I could barely watch. The only possible explanation is that Dinklage, being the award-winning star actor, has to get at least some screen time, even if there is literally nothing for him to say or do. Tyrion has become a caricature of his former self.

I think the goal was to humanize the slave characters, like acclimate them to normal society. Break their brainwashing a little. But that was just painful to watch.

So with Danny back and arya heading home and the ships of the iron born heading for mareen it looks like Jon may get a whole lot of unexpected help. The Jon Ramsay fight better be stellar or I'm just done. The do great books up and cliff hangers but they usually disappoint on the climax. I hope that's not the case.

I'm assuming Jon and co. will do very poorly in the battle until Littlefinger arrives to save the day with the Knights of the Vale.

With the two Ironborn factions heading towards Mereen, my best guess is that Dany and co. are unfortunately going to be stuck there for quite a bit longer until all that is resolved.

• Like! 1

The second group is too busy building a thousand ships. There's no way they're right behind them. Theon n sister will come up behind the masters to help the dragons win the battle and they'll be on time to help the Starks. But besides all out war I just want to see the one on one between ramsay n Jon. Jon is supposed to be a great fighter but we haven't seen him tested. And now having been resurrected I have a sneaking suspicion that when ramsay stabs him nothing will happen and Jon will just cut him down while he's in shock.

Edited by Veracious
  • Like! 1

I think Daenerys will eventually meet up with Jon and form an alliance but only once Westeros realizes what a danger the White Walkers represent. I don't think he's a priority for her right now. What she wants is the Iron Throne. And here comes Yara, Theon and a whole bunch of ships just in time. Think they defeat the masters, grab a bunch of their ships and head out to Westeros...but where to first?

To Iron Islands and remove Euron as a threat?

To Dragonstone? (where she was born and ancestral home of Targaryens..close to Kings Landing though)

To Dorne? (maybe they have some secret alliance with them...no idea, but haven't heard anything from Dorne for a bit)

More than llikely its none of those locations and they land somewhere I never even thought of

As far as Snow Bowl.....preview confuses me a bit.....obviously there's a big battle coming...but there's a scene between Jon and Ramsay where a fight just between those two is discussed...but does it happen before, during or after the battle?

@ Flix..no nooooooooooo and nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol

She IS LEAVING Mereen this season...they have spent more than enough time wandering around in the sand. If she is still in Essos next season I might cry excessively in a corner of my room where no one can see or hear me (hey got a rep to protect)

• Like! 1