One thing you would have changed in Sacred 2

It's kind of a good game, and makes us really consider options. If you're only allowed only one... is there something about the game that's the most annoying, or that you feel could have made GREAT impact if it had been different?

There is one for me, and that's the speed at which the Combat Art slot changes at. I know, I know..it sounds small and churlish...but, when Sacred 2 was released, this was a hUGE disaster for me. In fact, when I saw the speed at which I could switch Combat Arts at I almost didn't want to buy the game! :4rofl:

For me...it was almost a game breaker. Original Sacred had the fastest slot switching speed I've ever seen. You could litterally flick on Combat Arts on, off back and forth as fast as you could tap your fingers. With this kind of speed super awesome hybrid builds , athletic and nimble finger tricks to get aerials and ingame timing tricks working... all possible.

With Sacred 2, we found out that anti-cheating/theft/piracy...whatever, was in place... and the slot switching was impacted... imo, horribly.

A small thing like this was enough to almost make me want to consider something else if we hadn't already been so committed.

And playing Requiem with it's almost FPS speed/perspective on playing completely spoiled me. Again, perfect timing with the ca slot switching, so when we arrived at Sacred 2's sluggish speeds, it was heart breaking.

You guys?

:)

gogo

It takes longer to go up in levels for Sacred 2 than S1. That's a HUGE issue for casual players without blocks of hours of free time.

P.S. - Ultimate Evil Post Count! :evil:

Edited by DaveO

I interpret what you are saying gogo is more an active arcade feel to the game. Extending that I wish there were more combat scenarios where your tactics made a difference other than killspeed. The only monsters that are dangerous the only tactics for them are having gear that nullifies their attacks.

I am thinking of Titan Quest positive side. In that say manaeds they are a mobile enemies that dodge attacks and kite the player! So different types of builds they are difficult. Almost every type of build has some type of enemy that is more difficult to them, from glass canons to melee tanks which have a nightmare with the manaeds.

Another example is the tigerman champions. You had to actually make sure not to fight them under their battle standard which the release of adrenaline at running somehow made the game more exciting. The eyes in the blood forest are in the right direction, but unfortunately the tactics aren't very complex with them other than hoping too many don't hit at once. But its the right direction because you get that adrenaline rush!

There is one for me, and that's the speed at which the Combat Art slot changes at. I know, I know..it sounds small and churlish...but, when Sacred 2 was released, this was a hUGE disaster for me. In fact, when I saw the speed at which I could switch Combat Arts at I almost didn't want to buy the game! :4rofl:

Well on the console you get 12 CA slots right from the get-go and it's rather fast to access... so I suppose +1 for consoles :cow_white:

I would have liked the idea of a tutorial outside the main campaign. It's rather tedious doing the runemaster and blacksmith quests at the start of every difficulty level with every character. :tease:

It takes longer to go up in levels for Sacred 2 than S1. That's a HUGE issue for casual players without blocks of hours of free time.

P.S. - Ultimate Evil Post Count! :evil:

lol on the evil post count!

666-celebrity-wallpaper.jpg

:devil:

gogo

p.s. Clausius, yes...I think you're tying with a lot of my unwritten feelings for why I thought original Sacred was so good. It was certainly a faster game...though it had immense amounts of lag on the servers. Still though...feeling like I could possess that much speedy control over my character's movements was an indisputably powerful feeling for me. It could act as manic as me!

:4rofl:

Light and Dark toons not being able to party. This was a big design flaw from the start.

We begged for this to be changed in the beta but were told that it went to deep to change :(

Having 2 of the main characters not being able to run together in a multiplayer game was just daft.

and yes the game is a bit too arcadey and slow compared to S1 :P

Light and Dark toons not being able to party. This was a big design flaw from the start.

We begged for this to be changed in the beta but were told that it went to deep to change :(

:P

Ahhh!

Dobster, I'd completely forgotten about this. In fact, this was another big almost game breaker for me. What were they thinking? If they'd just jotted down what was the biggest parts of their success, surely they could have seen that everyone being able to play together in a party was a an asset, no?

Pity

:(

gogo

the one thing I would have changed,

Is that I would have cancelled the developement of Sacred 2 in the beginning .

instead of Sacred 2, I would have released a 2nd addon to Sacred 1 .

• Like! 1

iStock_gasp3586108XSmall.jpg

:o

gogo

I suppose if there were one thing I would want to have changed in the game - I would have had the dev and QA teams do a bit more spit and polish on the some of the quests in the game. It seems some of them are kind of buggy at times and some of them just plain don't make any sense whatsoever...

Like the quest in Orcish Byway - in the Merchant's building. I forget the exact quest name - but there's a guy there who wants to make you the deal of the century. He wants you to follow him out to a field.

If you're playing the light side - you arrive at the target area and declare that you're at a farm. OK.. Now what? The quest is over. On the other hand, if you're playing the shadow campaign, you find the guy is only trying to con you, so you set him up for murder - and wind up killing him in the process. In short, the quest should have been made shadow only right from the start.

Good thing we've got the CM Patch - They've fixed this quest so it is Shadow only - the guy doesn't even show up in Orcish Byway otherwise.

Another example is the Hunting Fever quests from Ice and Blood. You take on the first part, you kill the prerequisite number of critters in the alloted time and move on to Hunting Fever 2. So you get that quest and finish it off. So you save the game and exit. Next time you reload, you look at your log book - that quest is now marked as FAILED. Huh? Turns out the game doesn't store some crucial variable in the save file and the info for it is lost.

All in all, it's just the minor little quibbles like that that get me steamed.

I can empathize with the plight of someone who has spent a great deal of time in the attempt to complete a quest, only to be frustrated by a very devious bug, seemingly put there to thwart and frustrate a player.

Glad though that the CM Patch is working on recommendations and feedback of the community. At least regarding quests, a great deal is being done now.

Kudos to the CM Patch team. You guys are everywhere these days it seems.

gogo

that included a higher res graphics patch (wish a talented mod could do this :D )

S1 is screaming out for an extreme makeover!

My, big, huge, one thing I wish I could change gripe:

Gender! I want to be a male seraphim. I want to be a male half-elf. There's no good reason other than pure cutting-corners-we-don't-feel-like-making-sprite-models-and-voice-sets-on-two-genders laziness for not having this.

And I second the light-dark gripe. Why can't there be an inquisitor of Lumen who genuinely "only wants to help"? Why wouldn't "good" and "evil" characters temporarily unite to fight a common enemy?

Edited by belgarathmth

Just please let me 'quick click' items to/from my chests and at the rune master

Oh boy, lol, I am so with you on this. How many interminable hours of excruciating clicking have we done with this. Yeah a one click transfer would have done wonders.

My, big, huge, one thing I wish I could change gripe:

Gender! I want to be a male seraphim. I want to be a male half-elf. There's no good reason other than pure cutting-corners-we-don't-feel-like-making-sprite-models-and-voice-sets-on-two-genders laziness for not having this.

And I second the light-dark gripe. Why can't there be an inquisitor of Lumen who genuinely "only wants to help"? Why wouldn't "good" and "evil" characters temporarily unite to fight a common enemy?

My explanation (or rationalization?) for this has always been because we are to believe we are playing historical personages who's gender is, therefore, fixed.

Still... being able to change the gender would have been cooler than playing history figures then right?

:P

gogo

There is only one I would change - that's remove LL% from the game and enable deathblow on everything to compensate for it.

Really, seeing the biggest and baddest drop down in less than 10 seconds is a nuisance ;)

There is only one I would change - that's remove LL% from the game and enable deathblow on everything to compensate for it.

Really, seeing the biggest and baddest drop down in less than 10 seconds is a nuisance ;)

I can see where you're coming from with this. In defense of the game designers though, this item mod, when game was first released, was a lot of fun, and the effect is beautiful. It's only when all the player networks became so extensive, and we all got really good with socketing, perception of what a perfect socket was and, what others were doing that the move towards the fast killed really shined out the huge damage of this mod. Early game, not many had all the equipment or the resources to pile up a ton of leech. When you have the shopper though, dream builds come alive, and that ten second kill, a far away dream of early players can get seen more often.

I like the way you said trading out leech for Death Blow would have made builds more interesting though, in fact, I had always believed there just wasn't enough creativity with damage mods like there were in old Sacred. Leech in late Sacred 2 game now dominates, but it would have been nice, as you mention Dobri, if some more of the mechanics could have been thought out in light of how us players had begun to figger out game play and see what Ascaron would have come up with to re-balance us out from the way the game is today.

gogo

I think that the speed of the game was what most made it feel not quite right for me. The game is good, but what I feel it lacks (when compared to S1+UW) is the same speed of everything, whether or not thats because of the lag I deal with online, but like has been mentioned, switching slots of weapons and Combat Arts, levelling, it just seems much more laid back...

If I could change one thing, more chest tabs or more space in chests.

Too many times that I've left things lying around because I couldn't pick up more.

I think that the speed of the game was what most made it feel not quite right for me. The game is good, but what I feel it lacks (when compared to S1+UW) is the same speed of everything, whether or not thats because of the lag I deal with online, but like has been mentioned, switching slots of weapons and Combat Arts, levelling, it just seems much more laid back...

Yeah..it's weird that eh DB? It's almost like the overall pacing of the game got mired in molasses. The first game, with my Seraphim...I could switch Combat Arts right in the middle of a jump!. I could go through three CA changes from start execution of leap to a disastrous leap to my enemies.

Joyous!

If I could change one thing, more chest tabs or more space in chests.

Too many times that I've left things lying around because I couldn't pick up more.

Theuns, what if they had offered this as down loadable ability, content... think it would have gone well?

gogo

That's a good point, gogo :)

What really made me love Sacred 2 was the limitless boundaries for creative builds. There are so many strings to pull in this game, that no two builds ever look the same. LL% is awesome, it's groundbreaking, but it also is a free pass to level 200 and many players - myself included - get strongly tempted by it. This kind of forces the players to get a bit lazy - use the best LL% stuff and live long - rather than get creative, actually put their heads into the game and come up with a great build - like the secret agent, for example.

Still, what's good about LL% though, is that it can take a utility char deep into the game without much trouble. Since taking many utility skills hinders the build, LL% is what provides the leverage for them.

Still, what's good about LL% though, is that it can take a utility char deep into the game without much trouble. Since taking many utility skills hinders the build, LL% is what provides the leverage for them.

Well said. In fact... you have made me consider looking really hard at different options now for a mounted horse build. I remember running one back in the old days, getting it up to around level 90 (Who needs Combat Arts right? :D) And I adored the challenge. If you were going to get it to Niobium, Multi HIt was the way...but you have got me thinking to how leech provides leverage for some of the more exotic builds. In that time, the metagame hadn't existed for leech yet, we were all floundering about exploring.

Now you've got me thinking to whether it's possible to make a wonderfully competitive Knight build with leech ^^

gogo

gogo, you're so right about CA slot changing speed. People who play with me in the Open Net must've been already tired of hearing me grumbling about it. Despite all the time I spent playing this game, I still can't get used to this delay. I totally keep forgetting about it...

But if I could change one thing, it won't be CA switching, but... main storyline! Really, I was so disappointed with the fact that the main quest is quite short, stops just in a point or two in a giant region, and can be finished with less than 20% map opened. Not all the people love side quests and exploring, many of them just concentrate on the main story, therefore an opportunity to 'beat the game' in half an hour without seeing all the wonderful world the devs created disappoints me. And the story is not only short, but quite plain and boring. I find some side quests to be more exciting than the main campaign! Sorry, I know that it may be a strange opinion, but I love stories, I need them to keep me interested.

Edited by Silver_fox

gogo, you're so right about CA slot changing speed. People who play with me in the Open Net must've been already tired of hearing me grumbling about it. Despite all the time I spent playing this game, I still can't get used to this delay. I totally keep forgetting about it...

Yes... and another one sees this too! :bounce:

And the story is not only short, but quite plain and boring. I find some side quests to be more exciting than the main campaign!

Interesting, isn't this Silver? I have spoken to Schot about this many many times, constantly complaining about the cardboard cutout quests in this game. He's a major quest fiend, and loves to dig deep into quests. He's an ardent admirer of Blizzard myth, warcraft two he sank his teeth into, and is even now enjoying the story line of star craft.

So... we're all looking for the epicness of quests... why did Sacred 2 not deliver it ...again? I'm thinking that it's too expensive. That good writing requires a huge effort that could have drawn attention away from it's simplicity as a hack n' slash. Sacred 2 was so overbudgeded... we're still seeing so many surprises from this game, a year and a half into it now, so there was money spent...but I feel that they kind of pulled off a damage control. They used humor to inject as much levity into the game's quest/story process to keep it light and on "character" for the Sacred Franchise.

I would have loved to have seen the sheer epic of Guild Wars...I loved that series, it's campaign was just a hugely compelling journey for me, and one of my best playing experiences.

I'm thinking... if Sacred 2 actually went Epic though.. would it still be...the Sacred game we love?

gogo