How far are your parents?

Are your parents close by or far? In my family, parents are supposed to say close, for a looooooooong time. lol in fact, we're supposed to be an integral part of their later years :blink:

When I was going to University that's when my parents made the move down to the states and left me here in Montreal :P It's not all that bad,and this distance has actually kinda kept us close. They're far enough away so no surprise visits, close enough away for me to drive or get there by train if I want to.

You guys?

:)

gogo

I gotta stop giving gogo ideas for threads...even if un-intentionally

I was away for a long time (17 years) but moved back into the area 12 years ago. My mom lives about 10 miles away now. Close enough that if she calls with a problem I need a really good excuse not to come over right then and there. But I would rather be close by than further away, especially if anything serious ever happens. Unfortunately my dad passed away in 2004, but he lived even closer (about 5 miles away).

I have a feeling in a few years I'll move out of where I am now (love the beach access but upkeep is getting to be a bit much) and go inland a bit more and get a larger house (always wanted a den). At that time I'll probably have my mom move in. I'm sure living alone has got to be somewhat boring.

One sister lives a couple towns over while the other 2 are about 90 minutes away. So all my immediate family is fairly near me.

I've been living in Pretoria for almost 3 years, and my parents live in Pietersburg, 250km north of here, it is about 2 1/2 hours drive, no train or air travel. My middle sister, also lives in Pietersburg, in her own house, not even 2km away from my parents, but in the same estate that my parents live in. And my oldest sister lives in George with her husband and 5month old son, about 1216km away from Me and about 1500km away from my parents. At least the plane tickets from George to Pretoria is more frequent and relatively cheap.

my nephew Rico

post-15332-0-82635100-1300084854_thumb.jpg

My folks live 500 miles away, an 8 hour drive. This is the closest I have lived to them since 99 when I was in college. I like the distance, but it would be harder to live this far away if my sister didn't live within 1 mile of my dad or 5 miles of my mom.

As always close is relative: for countries like Canada, USA, China or Russia 1000 kilometres are only a fracture of their size. In germany it would be from the most north to the most south.

At army and university I was moving through whole germany. When we married we did same the first 4 years, 2 of them with our oldest daughter. When we decided for more kids our new location had to be a compromise: close to my work, close to my wife's work (or alternativly allowing her to work in her own rooms as a doc).

And of cause parents played a big part in the decision. Or should I better say grandparents? We wanted our parents close enough for some babysitting if needed, while at the same moment they shouldn't be too close. So when my cousin didn't wanted the wooden patchwork house of my grandfather we bought it. 18 kilometres to my parents, 31 kilometres to the parents of my wife.

The barn next to the house is rebuild now to have some living rooms (planed for older daughters to have some distance to us and the younger ones). Also it allows to have our parents at our place in case of strokes, illnesses (toi toi toi that this won't happen)... Barn rooms will be ground level, easy chairwheel access (broad barn doors), washing room and toilets will be designed with space,... The same design allows to add a practice room for my wife (currently she works in a hospital and 1 evening the week she is at firefighter building, so old people(75+) can visit her as a doc. The room is always full because even if they are not ill they go there for some chatting.

Conclusion: Kids have a big impact how far away from your parents/siblings you want to live.

chattius: They sure do. And your system seems really nice indeed.

For me, it's about 100km to parents. They've lived where they are (my birhtplace) for about 60 years (mom) and 30 (dad). I moved away when I was 16, for studies. For someone without car (that'd be me) it's sometimes a little troublesome. In case something serious happens. Like dad got hospitalized couple of moths ago, so couldn't be there then. But it's highly unlikely I'd be moving back from here. I got lucky with this apartment. ^^ Only thing lacking is a job. Really kinda hard to find any around here.

• 2 months later...

My Dad and Stepmother live about 8 hours away in my home state of North Carolina. Unfortunately my Mom is dead, 11 years now in fact (damn doctor! that is another story) and I still miss her. She was the glue that held the family together so needless to say I don't talk to my Dad or stepmother much since I moved away and my brother hasn't spoken to me in the entire four years I've been in Missouri. (Sorry for getting a bit off topic)

After constantly making the effort to stay in contact, and being the only one doing so, I've pretty much stopped calling except on holidays and such. Maybe that seems a bit harsh..and I don't mean to sound maudlin or anything because that's just they way things are at the moment. So it pretty much feels like I'm on another planet, not just an 8hr. drive away.

Well my father is in Texas and I'm in Chattanooga but my mom? My mother is with me everywhere I go since she passed away May 6, 2008 :) I choose to stay away from my family as it is I am the black sheep of my family and they seem to look down on me. That's my blood family I refer. But my adopted family I have that from all over the world. :)

My parents live near Liverpool and I'm currently in London, its about 200-250 miles and takes about 4hours ish. So close enough to go visit for a weekend or so, but still far enough that their are no unannounced "supprise" visits ^^

• 4 months later...

I have moved to Stellenbosch in the Western Cape of South Africa, and now live 1500km away from my Parents, but at least a bit closer to my oldest sis, her husband and my nephew. only about 380km. Starting my new job today at Delaire Graff.

Delta!

My mom lives 15 minutes away by foot, my dad is a 1 hour drive away.

I have all of my family within the country limits. They all live in western to south western Norway.

• 7 months later...

Well right now at this very second, my parents are downstairs in the bedroom, barely a few seconds away. I came to visit them while the restaurant is closing down for renovations. Left Stellenbosch at 04:00 this morning with a colleagea(?sp) dropped her at her parents in Pretoria and they invitited me for dinner which I gladly accepted and finished the remaining 250km alone. Arrived in Pietersburg/Polokwane at 22:00, 1700km, and 18hours later, Boy oh boy, how things have changed in the 8months that I haven't been here. Glad to be here though

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

Ah, parental visits, must do's, but yummy if they cook well.

yours cook well?

:D

gogo

My dad makes good food, mostly a barbeque or a "braai" as we call it in South Africa.

my mother on the other hand... Well she can cook delicious food when she wants to, problem is, she doesn't want to on a regular basis. When I come to visit I always help out in the kitchen a lot. Like this morning I made rusks

Delta!