All sockets removed?

I had a really good mage staff sitting in my chest that had about 188-199 damage and also a bunch of stats, including a +68 intelligent boost!

I went to see if I could remove ONE of the sockets that had a conversion damage of 81% ice , but instead it removed ALL the sockets.

Now the staff does 68-74 damage and has no Int. Boost.

I'm very sad this happened, what did I do wrong?

Also, I'm a level 20 Inquisitor, and the staff was level 25...=(

Argh! I had the same issue the first time I "de-socketed" my Officer's Saber. When you remove something socketed (dmg converter, rune, ring or amulet), all other items socketed into that weapon are destroyed.

The blacksmith skill (which does not work for console versions of the game) gives a chance that the other items are not destroyed.... check the wiki for the details!

Argh! I had the same issue the first time I "de-socketed" my Officer's Saber. When you remove something socketed (dmg converter, rune, ring or amulet), all other items socketed into that weapon are destroyed.

The blacksmith skill (which does not work for console versions of the game) gives a chance that the other items are not destroyed.... check the wiki for the details!

The exception to that - removing one item wipes everything else out - is if you use Blacksmith Arts (Whet, Anneal or Enhance) on that item - the blacksmith arts do not go away. In fact, the only way to get rid of blacksmith arts is to sell the item and buy it back.

The trick to doing it right - don't socket more than one valuable item into any one piece of armor/weapon. If you've got multiple rare or otherwise hard to find or high value items that gives you a hefty boost, spread the load! Instead of sticking that +x damage and that +x All Skills bling into your Officer's Saber or whatever, install only ONE of those high value items into the sword and add other stuff that isn't one of those "once in a lifetime" items to fill it out. Install the other stuff amongst your armor.

That way, when it comes time to upgrade the armor/weapon to something better, and you choose to remove the bonus goodies, you don't lose anything that you might wanna keep.

The only possible exception to this - you're at the final camp before you go into the Great Machine facility and you're in Niobium and you're going to make that final run to whack the nameless guardians. At that point, you may as well go all out and socket as much as you possibly can into that armor because that's pretty much the end of the road.

The exception to that - removing one item wipes everything else out - is if you use Blacksmith Arts (Whet, Anneal or Enhance) on that item - the blacksmith arts do not go away. In fact, the only way to get rid of blacksmith arts is to sell the item and buy it back.

Oh! Did not realize that, Wolfie. That sounds painful for poor toons!

Oh! Did not realize that, Wolfie. That sounds painful for poor toons!

Painful? Nah.. Unless you're referring to the character's purse... It can get bleeping expensive. Let's say you've got a Gold level Power of NIF lightsaber, and you've installed a Whet Blacksmith art and a chunk 'o' lava. So let's say you want to change that Whet to something else - a ring with Life Leech on it. The selling price is somewhere around 475,000 Gold. So let's say you sell it and buy it back to get rid of that Whet, it'll set you back probably somewhere around 4 million Gold.

Not too much of a big deal if you've got 250 million in the bank but it can be a bit problematic if you spend lots of your duckets on stuff and don't have much to spend.

The trick to doing it right - don't socket more than one valuable item into any one piece of armor/weapon. If you've got multiple rare or otherwise hard to find or high value items that gives you a hefty boost, spread the load! Instead of sticking that +x damage and that +x All Skills bling into your Officer's Saber or whatever, install only ONE of those high value items into the sword and add other stuff that isn't one of those "once in a lifetime" items to fill it out. Install the other stuff amongst your armor.

That way, when it comes time to upgrade the armor/weapon to something better, and you choose to remove the bonus goodies, you don't lose anything that you might wanna keep.

The only possible exception to this - you're at the final camp before you go into the Great Machine facility and you're in Niobium and you're going to make that final run to whack the nameless guardians. At that point, you may as well go all out and socket as much as you possibly can into that armor because that's pretty much the end of the road.

I don't get it...lol.

I don't get it...lol.

Ok.. Let's see if I can clarify this somewhat.

Let's say you've got a staff with three sockets - two of them are Gold and one of them is for elemental damage - where you can socket a chunk of lava, a poison fang, an ice crystal or a magic pearl. These items convert part of the damage from one type into another.

Now then, let's say you've also got 2 items from the Deylen's Power armor set - the helmet and the chest piece.

You've also got a couple of rare (yellow) rings - one that gives you a +45 to damage and another that gives you a +50 to Intelligence.

You want to socket these items into your stuff as you don't have any free ring sockets and you don't want to swap the ones you've got out. So you go visit the blacksmith. Now, instead of taking both rings and forging them into ONE item - the staff in this case - you take one of the rings and have the smith put it into your staff.

Then, you take the chest armor and you forge the other ring into that item. That way, when you eventually upgrade your chest plate to a better Deylens or other item and you have the smith remove that hard to find ring, you don't lose both - as the other one is safely tucked away in your weapon.

I don't get it...lol.

Let's say you've got a staff with three sockets - two of them are Gold and one of them is for elemental damage - where you can socket a chunk of lava, a poison fang, an ice crystal or a magic pearl. These items convert part of the damage from one type into another.

Now then, let's say you've also got 2 items from the Deylen's Power armor set - the helmet and the chest piece.

You've also got a couple of rare (yellow) rings - one that gives you a +45 to damage and another that gives you a +50 to Intelligence.

You want to socket these items into your stuff as you don't have any free ring sockets and you don't want to swap the ones you've got out. So you go visit the blacksmith. Now, instead of taking both rings and forging them into ONE item - the staff in this case - you take one of the rings and have the smith put it into your staff.

Then, you take the chest armor and you forge the other ring into that item. That way, when you eventually upgrade your chest plate to a better Deylens or other item and you have the smith remove that hard to find ring, you don't lose both - as the other one is safely tucked away in your weapon.

So instead of using 2 rings on one item, I use 1 ring on one item and another ring on the other?

Huh.

Alright.

Side note: When I accidently deforged my staff (ugh, +68 Int. gone) I found this level 207 Chunk of Lava. Why was is this here and not the +68 Int. item?

So instead of using 2 rings on one item, I use 1 ring on one item and another ring on the other?

Huh.

Alright.

Side note: When I accidently deforged my staff (ugh, +68 Int. gone) I found this level 207 Chunk of Lava. Why was is this here and not the +68 Int. item?

That's correct! The idea here is to spread the risk. You don't socket two items you can't easily replace into any one item and then lose one when you feel the need to rebuild the item... It doesn't matter WHERE you socket that +xx damage ring - it can be on armor or the weapon - you will still get the benefit of the modifier(s) of that ring.

On the other hand... If you're fond of changing weapons for whatever reason - say you want a fire weapon for something that's weak against fire and an ice weapon for a beastie that's weak against that element, by socketing the damage ring into your armor, BOTH weapons gain that modifier.

At first, I was wondering how you could possibly be socketing level 207 items in such a low level bit of kit and then I remembered you're on a console. On the PC, socketing a high level element or ring or other socketable item will raise the level of the item to that of the item being socketed. That staff would have wound up as a level 207 staff - and I seriously doubt you'd have any means to wield it at level 20. But consoles don't have that 'feature'... No idea how that could have happened unless that was the item you moved when you deforged the staff. Simply moving the socketed item from it's socket will usually cause the other items socketed into that item to vanish.

Huh.

Alright.

That's correct! The idea here is to spread the risk. You don't socket two items you can't easily replace into any one item and then lose one when you feel the need to rebuild the item... It doesn't matter WHERE you socket that +xx damage ring - it can be on armor or the weapon - you will still get the benefit of the modifier(s) of that ring.

On the other hand... If you're fond of changing weapons for whatever reason - say you want a fire weapon for something that's weak against fire and an ice weapon for a beastie that's weak against that element, by socketing the damage ring into your armor, BOTH weapons gain that modifier.

At first, I was wondering how you could possibly be socketing level 207 items in such a low level bit of kit and then I remembered you're on a console. On the PC, socketing a high level element or ring or other socketable item will raise the level of the item to that of the item being socketed. That staff would have wound up as a level 207 staff - and I seriously doubt you'd have any means to wield it at level 20. But consoles don't have that 'feature'... No idea how that could have happened unless that was the item you moved when you deforged the staff. Simply moving the socketed item from it's socket will usually cause the other items socketed into that item to vanish.

Wow, so I was wielding a level 207 staff at level 20?

Damn. :twitch:

Well, thanks.

So in the end, if I wanna remove one socket, it will remove all of them, right?

Wow, so I was wielding a level 207 staff at level 20?

Damn. :twitch:

Well, thanks.

So in the end, if I wanna remove one socket, it will remove all of them, right?

Sort of. The damage will still be pretty much the same as if it was a level 25 item. Trust me.. A level 207 weapon will have much higher damage than the level 25 item.

The Chunk o' Lava doesn't exactly increase damage - it converts what's there to fire damage. The higher the level of the Chunk o' Lava, the larger the percentage that gets converted. You'll get maybe 25 - 30% conversion on low level items, about 50% by the time you reach level 100 items. I believe it's somewhere around 75% around level 200...

Some of the other items you had socketed (rings) likely boosted the damage to the levels they were at - namely the +68 Intelligence ring.

You weren't wielding a level 207 weapon, its simply imposible for a level 20 character. On consoles, socketing a higher level item into you armour/weapon does not increase the level of the armour weapon like it does on PC (a bug that was never fixed). So quite likely your item was socketed with all jewelleryshopped/found by a level 200 toon and then socketed into a level 20 weapon which stayed at level 20, at the very least it was only the lava piece that was done so.