Leave one ad on for DarkMatters members?

We're hoping these these settings are working for our community here, and all registered members of FDM should not be seeing any ads. Does this help with using the site?

What about if there was one ad...this way even members could see offers from companies that may interest them... do you think this is good thinking, or should we just completely leave them off for members? I know part of the "gaming" experience is kind of seeing new gaming ads for all upcoming games. So far, with all ads turned off for members that part of the "experience" gets turned off.

Maybe leave one on?

:)

gogo

I quit taking game magazines several years ago, so I only know about new games I stumble across. So yes, an ad showing new games would be okay to me. And then if I buy it, it helps support the site. Which makes it a win-win. Just because I'm registered doesn't mean I shouldn't help support the site if occassion arises.

We have actually left ads on for Guests. This way the ones that come here the most, our community who registers, is not having ads. But I'm now just wondering if taking them all off is kind of a bad thing if anyone does want to see some gaming ads.

gogo

I'm glad that you did decide to do the adds to begin with, it really helped the forum grow. But personally I don't care for them. If there is a new game out the someone usually will start a post about it. Besides I really can't imagine there being a game out there other than Sacred 3 that I'll care to be interested in. Just my 1.63 cents worth (inflation ya know)

Well, ads are an important part of websites in a way because they provide you guys with some form of revenue all the time. And with the blatant visual eye gouging you see on some sites 1 or 2 tastefully located ads is nothing in my opinion.

Well, the ads are random and are usually chosen judging by your location. Since I'm russian and it's an english speaking community, most of the ads that were shown to me were about learning foreign languages, not about gaming. I'm kind of glad that you turned the adds off for members, though there weren't a lot of them anyway. As for learning about some new games, most gamers I know (including myself) always keep an eye on them and learn about the new ones from various specific magasines and sites, not from random ads. But maybe it's different for the people who aren't all that interested in gaming. Anyway, I'm fine with any decision you make until the ads aren't multiple and annoying.

Edited by Silver_fox

maybe figure out a way that registered users can turn them off by choice, like a hidden theme that only registered users can see that has no ads, but I would be fine with one ad. My reason for this is some people would like to have that as an option without having to download other stuff...

As long as you have your plan as per 1000 impressions, I don't mind.

ps. I haven't died! school work has just been piling up... *gulp*

Edited by daemonrocks23
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for this feedback! Well, what we may do if we have time is leave just one box for adverts at the bottom or top of forum? This way it won't be like we're not allowing members to see stuff that they may want to see as offer from companies.

gogo