Off-Hand damage for Combat Arts

So, I'm not just blindly asking this question, I did a test myself on 2 identical low level unique weapons (kuan's pride I think). I socketed one with just a regular whetstone and left the 2nd one unsocketed to see what the damage was equipped. It was 877 on the CA I was looking at. Then I socketed the 2nd weapon with a 9-9 pure damage which increased that weapon's overall damage, but left that one in the off hand, having the whetstone socketed one in the mainhand, and the damage was still 877. This is confusing a little bit and makes me think that the off hand weapon is better off just being used for regular stats like +all skills, or even just fully socketed with whetstones.

I guess the confusing part of it is that I can just wear rings that are xx-xx damage and it counts, but it doesnt count if you have it socketed in the off hand?

Would it even be viable to socket like a level 20 officers sabre for your off hand with awesome stats that you could use for the rest of your character's carrer and just only upgrade your main hand?

When I smack on stuff, I generally only see 1 overall number, fighting between similar monsters. The only time that number changes is if I crit or not, it seems, even though both of my weapons have like a 30-40 actual damage difference between them.

Imma do some tests in the orc cave whenever I get there I guess and try switching up my off hands from a highest level one to my level 20 officers sabre with 25 to all skills and see if I see any difference in the overall numbers.

If anyone has already run any tests or knows anything about this, any info would be very much appreciated. If I should only be socketing my main hands with xx-xx damage and leaving my off hands to be a +all skills holder (with a possible disregard to the off hand item level), I'd kinda like to know.

Thanks in advance.

X

Well... I just opened up a free world in gold and ported to the orc lands. I had my regular top end higher level weapons equipped for my level and noticed some pretty regular numbers across the various orcs. About 1900-2100 regular hits and about 2500-2600 for crits. Then I actually just went all out and unequipped my off hand weapon and... the weapon damage was exactly the same. The only thing that changed was that I was attacking slower because I'm not getting the dual wield bonus.

What is up with this? o.O

Should I be testing this on a boss instead of regular orc mobs or something?

Input would be awesome. Looking forward to hearing some other comments on this.

X

Welcome xnander!

Your experience here is similar to what I have seen as well. The right hand (primary, or first equiped) is the weapon that seems to be the primary by which all CA Stats are based. At least, where weapon based CAs are concerned.

You didn't mention what character or CA you were testing with. Character shouldn't matter, however the CA may.

Welcome xnander!

Your experience here is similar to what I have seen as well. The right hand (primary, or first equiped) is the weapon that seems to be the primary by which all CA Stats are based. At least, where weapon based CAs are concerned.

You didn't mention what character or CA you were testing with. Character shouldn't matter, however the CA may.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. To answer your questions: it's a shadow warrior and the CA is frenzied rampage. He's 43 now and upgraded to a 55 desert saber with two xx-xx damage rings (about 33-35ish, shopped from my 116 dryad), and for my off hand he's got the noob level 20 officers saber with 25 to all skills and other goodies like 1300 to max health or so and stuff like that. It's nice to use for a fresh toon.

Anyway, I beat up a couple of campaign bosses in gold since I last posted this and I'm not noticing a huge flucuation in damage like say my 219-251 damage level 55 desert saber and the 65-83 damage level 20 officers saber. One would think that you'd see a huge difference in numbers, but there's not. It really seems that it doesn't matter at all what you use for your off hand, as long as your main hand is the beefy one with high end damage.

Weird.

X

Hey, thanks for the quick response. To answer your questions: it's a shadow warrior and the CA is frenzied rampage. He's 43 now and upgraded to a 55 desert saber with two xx-xx damage rings (about 33-35ish, shopped from my 116 dryad), and for my off hand he's got the noob level 20 officers saber with 25 to all skills and other goodies like 1300 to max health or so and stuff like that. It's nice to use for a fresh toon.

Anyway, I beat up a couple of campaign bosses in gold since I last posted this and I'm not noticing a huge flucuation in damage like say my 219-251 damage level 55 desert saber and the 65-83 damage level 20 officers saber. One would think that you'd see a huge difference in numbers, but there's not. It really seems that it doesn't matter at all what you use for your off hand, as long as your main hand is the beefy one with high end damage.

Weird.

Heh... weird is the word! Actually, it is explainable, but can be quite confusing. Weapons with hard damage rings socketed causes a glitch with combat art damage calculation. This glitch is barely/not noticable as long as you are keeping your weapons "updated" as you level. BUT, as you have noticed, a level 20 officers' saber with 65-83 displayed damage can just about equal a level 55 desert saber with 219-251 damage! In fact, if you keep that level 20 officers a little longer, you will see its damage surpass the Desert Sabers'. I am unsure exactly why this happens, but it is a console-only phenomenon because if you socket a level 115 hard damage ring into a level 20 weapon, the level of the weapon becomes 115, whereas on console, the weapon will stay at level 20.

PS - try socketing a level 2 weapon with 2 hard damge rings from your dryad shopper ;)

Or don't - it may ruin your Sacred experience!