Modifying Combat Arts and understanding Flags - spells.txt

Edit: 30.August.2010

Schot placed a copy of spells.txt. So if you don't have your game at your current machine you can still read.

I did a list how english combat arts are named in spells.txt. So it is hopefully easier to start understanding spells.txt.

Original Post from now on

We discussed which Combat Art's had base weapon damage and we had one question open. The modifiers seem to have flags in their script.

entry7 = {"et_weapondamage_poison", 28, 14, 5, 9 },

2.8 +1.4*level poison damage

because it is modifier 5 from 6

Not sure what the nine is, probably some flags.

If it are flags than 1 could mean that it is used in damage calculation and 0 that it is a modifier which affects duration ,cooldown,... but it is not needed in damage calculation. I am no coder, so there are other people probably better fitted in decrypting it.

Flags:

1- If 1 then the modifier is used in damage calculation at a hit(?)

4 - mergeable with same modifiers from equip?

8 - done first at execution of combat art (before item stuff?)

32- 'lasting' effect on target, buff, temporary buff? Can be positive as reflect, or negative as damage over time ticks

128- base damage for spells?

The flags are just guesses right now.

Example: Spider spitting?

mgr.defineSpell( "enemy_poison_fountain", {
eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
fxTypeCast = "",
fxTypeSpell = "FX_GIFTFONTAINE_C",
duration = 0.000000,
animType = "ANIM_TYPE_MAGICA",
animTypeApproach = "",
animTypeRide = "",
animTypeSpecial = "",
causesSpellDamage = 1,
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_dotdamage_poison", 760, 380, 0, 42 },
	entry1 = {"et_spelldamage_physical", 280, 140, 0, 133 },
},
fightDistance = 300.000000,
aspect = "EA_ENEMY_ANY",
cooldown = 0.000000,
soundProfile = 0,
cost_level = 500,
cost_base = 300,
focus_skill_name = "skill__enemy_focus",
lore_skill_name = "skill__enemy_lore",
spellClass = "cSpellSpider_SpitPoison",
spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_a_missile_attack",
sorting_rank = 0,
})

So a spider would spit poison as a spell. The spell has 2 components:

which is 76+38*level poison damage overtime. It is not a modifier, so third is 0. 42 would stand for 32+8+2. 32 would mean it puts an effect on. 8 means it is done at execution of the spell and the 2 I don't know yet. Flag 1 is not set so damage calculation is not used= armour won't have effect?

28+14*level physical damage. 0= No modifier. 133=128+4+1 for spell damage, 4 because it can be boosted by aura's equipment on the spider(?), and 1 because damage calculation is done?

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

A very important topic indeed chattius. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. The Spells.txt found in our installation files is of great value and can be quite telling in the abilities of not just player Combat Arts but also of Enemy Combat Arts as we've learned in the Secrets of Sacred 2 Boss Combat Arts ... Revealed! topic. An example of what was learned from the spells.txt can be seen on the Gar'Colossus Boss page. Though some things have been uncovered there is still more yet to be fully understood.

I just received a PM from a fellow FDMer asking about this very thing and thought a topic like this would be a perfect place to engineer further enlightenment. To add to this note worthy topic I'd like to submit the entire contents of Spells.txt so that others can have a peek.

spells.txt

A very important topic indeed chattius. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. The Spells.txt found in our installation files is of great value and can be quite telling in the abilities of not just player Combat Arts but also of Enemy Combat Arts as we've learned in the Secrets of Sacred 2 Boss Combat Arts ... Revealed! topic. An example of what was learned from the spells.txt can be seen on the Gar'Colossus Boss page. Though some things have been uncovered there is still more yet to be fully understood.

I just received a PM from a fellow FDMer asking about this very thing and thought a topic like this would be a perfect place to engineer further enlightenment. To add to this note worthy topic I'd like to submit the entire contents of Spells.txt so that others can have a peek.

spells.txt

May I see? Apparently, I am not allowed ATM.

Thanks! 8)

We discussed which Combat Art's had base weapon damage and we had one question open. The modifiers seem to have flags in their script.

So a spider would spit poison as a spell. The spell has 2 components:

which is 76+38*level poison damage overtime. It is not a modifier, so third is 0. 42 would stand for 32+8+2. 32 would mean it puts an effect on. 8 means it is done at execution of the spell and the 2 I don't know yet. Flag 1 is not set so damage calculation is not used= armour won't have effect?

28+14*level physical damage. 0= No modifier. 133=128+4+1 for spell damage, 4 because it can be boosted by aura's equipment on the spider(?), and 1 because damage calculation is done?

Hey, Chattius, where are you getting the information regarding the flags. I understand the addition of the flags, but how do we know what each flag means? And how are they divided, only by 2x?

ie 20 = 1 - you think this flag affects damage

21 = 2 - you are not sure what this flag is

22 = 4 - boosted by auras equipment

27 = 128 - spell damage?

Flags are yes/no answers. So they are normally binary. I learned flags when doing coding in assembler=machine language. Memory was small, and so you tried to store several informations in a single byte. You can put 8 yes/no answers in a single byte=8bit this way.

Is it used in damage calculate: Yes/No? If it is yes you add 1

Is it used summed up with equipment , if Yes add 4

Does it have to be done first when executing a combat art, if yes add 8

Doing it this way you can alway rebuild the answers if you see a 8 bit number. 8 bits are enough to represent the numbers from 0 to 255 (2^8 -1)

The numbers in the 4th row looked like if they could be flags when comparing several combat arts. Call it a belly feeling. Every number between 0 and 255, similiar spells sharing same numbers,... Because I am a technical mathematician and not a paid coder I hoped for a coding expert to jump on the train :)

Flags are yes/no answers. So they are normally binary. I learned flags when doing coding in assembler=machine language. Memory was small, and so you tried to store several informations in a single byte. You can put 8 yes/no answers in a single byte=8bit this way.

Is it used in damage calculate: Yes/No? If it is yes you add 1

Is it used summed up with equipment , if Yes add 4

Does it have to be done first when executing a combat art, if yes add 8

Doing it this way you can alway rebuild the answers if you see a 8 bit number. 8 bits are enough to represent the numbers from 0 to 255 (2^8 -1)

The numbers in the 4th row looked like if they could be flags when comparing several combat arts. Call it a belly feeling. Every number between 0 and 255, similiar spells sharing same numbers,... Because I am a technical mathematician and not a paid coder I hoped for a coding expert to jump on the train :)

That's a pretty good "gut" feeling, Chattius!

Ok, now I understand as much as you (about the flags), I think. I reviewed a small section of spells.txt and noticed the same things as you (after translating the Combat Art names!).

I was hoping you already had coder help from GSF, which was really the question :oooo:

This shows promise. I know where not realy in DnD but it would be awesome to see some Blackguard type spells for the Shadow Warrior. Or some Devine Champion or Paladin stuff. w0oo

Thank you for this terific thread.

I was wondering about the numbers myself, and am quite curious what other flags you will find.

I have not much to contribute in this field I'm adraid, except that you should keep in mind, that every spelltoken has a "bb_" bonus from Blueprint backing it up and providing the hardcode link to effects, channelinformation and modifiers.

In case of the et_dot_damage_poison it is:

mgr.addTokenBonus( {"et_dotdamage_poison", 208 })  -- 208 = bb_dotdamage_poi

208 is the Bonusnumber from Blueprint.txt where it reads:

newBonus = {
--  name = "bb_dotdamage_poi",
 rating = 0,
 basedonskill = "SKILL_INVALID",
 type = "BONUS_DOTDAMAGE",
 spez = "DMG_POISON",
 spez2 = "",
 usagebits = 65535,
 minconstraints = {0,0,0},
 difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,0,0},
 difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,0,0},
 difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,0,0},
 difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,0,0},
 difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,0,0},
}
mgr.createBonus(208, newBonus);

Which is the standard example for a "bb_" bonus. The damagechannels and on screen info for this effect is (supposedly) hardcoded under its reference 208, and inaccessible to us. In order to resolve some spell-bugs I wish it would be otherwise.

For example: Mentor-Potions and DMs Familiar with experience Mod don't stack, overwrite each other instead. Most likely a bonuschannel issue.

And here I hope you are right with, because it might be a way to fix this:

4 - mergeable with same modifiers from equip?

The respective entry in the spell has the Flag 41. Does this mean 32+8+1? Should it rather be in this case 45 (32+8+4+1)?

That would be great stuff and also help fixing not working damage damping tokens and maybe non-functional lasting effects of freeze and electrify tokens...

Edited by czevak

Edit: obviously I was typing this while Meister Czevak was ansering already :viking:

Since the calling of the spell routines is hard coded and can't be modified by editing a script:

All you can do is:

If you play single player/LAN:

Modify exisiting spells in a way you like. That is what I did with horse combat arts for my daughters. I did a script they had to do before starting a character which was loading the changed spells.txt and creatures.txt: depending if they wanted to play with flame horses, unicorns or normal horses.

Community Patch and hoping that it gets a real patch:

You can only use and modify stuff which was planed for future AddOn's and unlock it or which is already in (but then it will be only bugs which would be fixed, no changing into different spells). Some set's, unique's, quest's.... You can edit the scripts of existing combat arts/ enemies if you think that they are really buggy.

Combat Art's used in the dragon mage transformations

Demon champ mage's, crystal boar(?), ...

Cvevak invited me to join the community-patch team. If I would join the community-patch team I would have access to their documentation. But I won't do promises I can't keep. I don't know if I will find that much time in summer. If the weather is better there will be less playing/coding and nearly all the spare time on sunny days will be spend with family,driving the kids to their vaulting, hockey, soccer, bow shooting clubs, ...

Edited by chattius

Heh...dont know if I should blush or smile wide. Thanks for the praise chattius.

I tested it with 45 and the 10% experience Bonus from Familiar vanished completely from the Bonus-Overview and is also not in "silent" effect any more (no bonus experience at all).

Has to be another number then...suggestions?

But I won't do promises I can't keep. I don't know if I will find that much time in summer.

We are not scientology. :oooo: You can spend as much or less time on the projekt as you like and of course also leave if you want to. (Wait, sounds like scientology to me...anyway WE mean it!)

In the worst case, I pick up where you left off. NP :viking:

Edited by czevak

mgr.defineSpell( "boss_flyerbase_blitze", {
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_duration_sec", 500, 4, 0, 8 },
	entry1 = {"et_hits_persec", 1000, 0, 0, 4 },
	entry2 = {"et_spelldamage_magic", 350, 175, 0, 133 },
},

mgr.defineSpell( "boss_crystal_explosion", {
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_life_leech", 170, 85, 0, 9 },
	entry1 = {"et_spelldamage_ice", 700, 350, 0, 133 },
	entry2 = {"et_range_area", 300, 0, 0, 4 },
	entry3 = {"et_spelldamage_physical", 700, 350, 0, 133 },
},

Duration and life leech damage can't be modified by anything, or? Could 8 mean that there will be no check if it is boosted by items?

Hit's per sec and area range have blanc 4, another thing I have to put more thoughts in.

Wonder what a 32+1 or a 32+4+1 will do with the buff.

mgr.defineSpell( "enemy_spawn_sandpeople_grp", {
tokens = {
	entry0 = {"et_summon_officer", 900, 395, 0, 8 },
	entry1 = {"et_summon_soldier", 2500, 267, 0, 8 },
	entry2 = {"et_summon_mylevel", 4, 1, 0, 4 },
	entry3 = {"et_sacrifice_health_rel", 2000, 0, 0, 17 },
},

Other blanc 8's which can't be modified by anything. The sacrifice health is 16+1. Start to wonder what 16 might be.

Edited by chattius

BUG?

I just take magic coup as an example:

mgr.defineSpell( "he_ar_magischerschlag", {
	entry0 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 1200, 2, 0, 9 },
	entry1 = {"et_AW_rel", 500, 20, 0, 5 },
	entry2 = {"et_baseAW", 200, 350, 0, 5 },

I really wonder if nearly ALL weapon Combat Art's have a way to high hit chance. Now Regeneration per Hit is working so you can have a weapon Combat Art near or above the malus.

With a mastered weapon skill at 200 you get like 378 base attack value.

With magic coup at 100 you will get 3520 base attack value. It seems there is a factor of 10 wrong, if I translate it to 20+35/level. Currently weapon skills are not really needed once the combat art's are high.

Or is the base attack value from a weapon skill too low? There is stuff which has +300 attack value at level 200.

P.S.: The weapon damage multiplier has a flag 8 too, marking it as can't be raisen by equipment?

Edited by chattius
With a mastered weapon skill at 200 you get like 378 base attack value.

With magic coup at 100 you will get 3520 base attack value. It seems there is a factor of 10 wrong, if I translate it to 20+35/level. Currently weapon skills are not really needed once the combat art's are high.

Or is the base attack value from a weapon skill too low? There is stuff which has +300 attack value at level 200.

P.S.: The weapon damage multiplier has a flag 8 too, marking it as can't be raisen by equipment?

I think the Bonus-/Modifier calculation is different for each type (Damage, Buffs, Attackvalue or Defensevalue, experience etc). Look at the Bonustypes in the blueprint. The values are set at different bases:

For example Boni that increase Skills or Combatarts (here 516: + all Combatarts) have a +3 at a bonusmod of 1000, and spawned on a level 75 Item:

(...)
bonusgroup4 = {516,1000,10,9,0},
(...)

while other boni like 401 (+% experience Neutral Bonus) starts at 20% with that value:

(...)
bonusgroup0 = {401,1000,1,0,0},
(...)

Edited by czevak
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I tried to understand the spells.txt to modify the buggy horse-Combat Arts for my daughters:

Thread to understand the flags in spells.txt

Still some work to be done. Perhaps continue the discussion in the above thread? So all the information won't be split up on many threads.

Goo point Chattius

I've merged the two topics into this one, we can keep all the info on this together.

:D

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I know that this is probably a forlorn hope, but does anyone have a list of the spell's names in english with their german equivalent?

It is very frustrating when you have an idea that you would like to try out but have no idea where the relevent CA is to in the spells list. Why is the spell file in english but the names in german? That is as cruel as showing a child some sweets, then holding them just out of reach! (Mutter, whinge, gripe) :D

Edited by podgie_bear

Edit:

I added the following list on the main thread how to understand spells.txt. Hopefully it is easier for people to find it this way.

I place them in the same order as they appear in spells.txt. Sometimes the german name for the combat art in spells.txt is not the same as used in the german version of the game:

Skeleton Fortification - Knochenturm (= bone tower) , but in spells.txt Unterstuetzung = support.

No guarantee that at least one combat art has the correct name :D

God Powers

Lumen - "gott_licht_blitz"

Ker - "gott_chaos_sakkaradaemon"

Testa - "gott_wissen_drohnen"

Kybele - "gott_natur_lebenskraft"

Kuan - "gott_krieg_kriegsrausch"

Forens - "gott_philosophie_schutzschild"

Seraphim Combat Arts

Pelting Strikes - "se_co_schlaghagel"

Assailing Somersault - "se_co_wirbelsprung"

Soul Hammer - "se_co_seelenhammer"

Dashing Alacrity - "se_co_befluegeln"

Battle Stance - "se_co_kampfhaltung"

Hallowed Restoration - "se_cm_heilen"

Baneful Smite - "se_cm_blitz"

Radiant Pillar - "se_cm_lichtsaeule"

Instill Belief - "se_cm_bekehrung"

Cleaning Brilliance - "se_cm_lichtaura"

Archangel's Wrath - "se_te_schwertfeuer"

Divine Protection - "se_te_notschild"

Flaring Nova - "se_te_schockwelle"

Warding Energy - "se_te_energieschild"

beeEffGee - "se_te_beeeffgee"

Inquisitor Combat Arts

Callous Execution - "in_in_hinrichtung"

Ruthless Mutilation - "in_in_verstuemmelung"

Frenetic Fervor - "in_in_eifer"

Purifying Chastisement - "in_in_kasteiung"

Levin Array - "in_po_faecherblitz"

Raving Thrust - "in_po_machtstoss"

Clustering Maelstrom - "in_po_machtsog"

Zealous Doppelganger - "in_po_doppelgaenger"

Zealous Doppelganger Buff - "in_po_doppelgaenger_buff"

Reverse Polarity - "in_po_vergeltung"

Paralyzing Dread - "in_uw_entsetzen"

Dislodged Spirit - "in_uw_seelenraub"

Inexorable Subjugation - "in_uw_versklavung"

Eruptive Desecration - "in_uw_schaendung"

Soul Reaver - "in_uw_seelenfaenger"

High Elf Combat Arts

Ancestral Fireball - "he_in_feuerball"

Blazing Tempest - "he_in_feuersturm"

Incendiary Shower - "he_in_meteor"

Fire Demon - "he_in_feuerdaemon"

Incandescent Skin - "he_in_feuerhaut"

Glacial Thorns - "he_st_eissplitter"

Frost Flare - "he_st_frostschlag"

Raging Nimbus - "he_st_schneesturm"

Cascading Shroud - "he_st_nebelform"

Crystal Skin - "he_st_kristallhaut"

Cobalt Strike - "he_ar_energieblitz"

Shadow Step - "he_ar_teleport"

Grand Invigoration - "he_ar_regenerationskraft"

Expulse Magic - "he_ar_bannkreis"

Magic Coup - "he_ar_magischerschlag"

Shadow Warrior Combat Arts

Ruinous Onslaught - "sk_hc_rammstoss"

Demonic Blow - "sk_hc_harterschlag"

ScythingSweep - "sk_hc_befreiungsschlag"

Rousing Command - "sk_hc_kampfruf"

Grim Resilience - "sk_hc_willensstaerke"

Killing Spree - "sk_tc_kampfrausch"

Augmenting Guidon - "sk_tc_standarte"

ReflectiveEmenation - "sk_tc_umlenkung"

Frenzied Rampage - "sk_tc_attacke"

Belligerent Vault - "sk_tc_sprung"

Spectral Hand - "sk_ap_geisterhand"

ShadowVeil Buff - "sk_ap_geistform_buff"

ShadowVeil - "sk_ap_geistform"

Skeletal Fortification - "sk_ap_unterstuetzung"

Rallied Souls - "sk_ap_kampfbefehl"

Nether Allegiance - "sk_ap_kohorte"

Dryad Combat Arts

Ravaged Impact - "dr_hu_konzentrierterangriff"

Darting Assault - "dr_hu_angriffsserie"

Forest Flight - "dr_hu_sprint"

Dust Devil - "dr_hu_wirbeln"

Sinister Predator - "dr_hu_projektilfokus"

Twisted Torment - "dr_vo_quaelen"

Viperish Disease - "dr_vo_krankheit"

Malicious Totem - "dr_vo_totem"

Black Curse - "dr_vo_verderbensfluch"

Moribund Animus - "dr_vo_zombie"

Tangled Vine - "dr_nm_wucherwurzel"

Goldenglade Touch - "dr_nm_handauflegen"

Acute Mind - "dr_nm_wacherverstand"

Edaphic Lances - "dr_nm_bodenspiesse"

Ancient Bark - "dr_nm_rindenhaut"

Temple Guardian Combat Arts

Battle Extension - "tw_cc_kampfarm"

Deathly Spears - "tw_cc_todesspiesse"

Combat Alert Buff - "tw_cc_kampfaura_buff"

Combat Alert - "tw_cc_kampfaura"

T-Energy Shroud - "tw_cc_tkampfschild"

Dedicated Blow - "tw_cc_schoepfungsschlag"

Amplifying Discharge - "tw_te_projektil"

Furious Emblazer - "tw_te_flammenwerfer"

Archimedes Beam - "tw_te_archimedisstrahl"

Jolting Touch - "tw_te_tschock"

Propelled Levitation - "tw_te_levitieren"

Primal Mutation - "tw_en_mutieren"

Charged Grid - "tw_en_energienetz"

Untouchable Force - "tw_en_schockpulse"

Fiery Ember - "tw_en_gluthitze"

Icy Evanescence - "tw_en_eiseskaelte"

Horse Combat Arts

Charge - "mount_sturmangriff"

Rear Up - "mount_aufbaeumen"

Leap - "mount_sprung"

Dragon Mage Combat Arts

Eternal Fire - "dm_dm_ewigesfeuer"

Dragon Strike - "dm_dm_drachenschlag"

Familiar - "dm_dm_vertrauter"

Dragon Form - "dm_dm_drachenform"

DF-Fire Odem - "dm_form_drgn_feuerwand"

DF-Jump - "dm_form_drgn_teleport"

DF-Fireball"dm_form_drgn_feuerball"

Dragon Berserk - "dm_dm_berserkerform"

DB-Frenzy - "dm_form_brsrk_blutrausch"

DB-Lacerate - "dm_form_brsrk_zerfetzen"

Gust of Wind - "dm_co_windstoss"

Tornado - "dm_co_wirbelwind"

Magic Barrier - "dm_co_magischerwall"

Destroyer - "dm_co_zerstoerer"

Protector - "dm_co_beschuetzer"

Mind Strike - "dm_me_gedankenschlag"

Energy Blaze - "dm_me_energiebrand"

Maelstrom - "dm_me_mahlstrom"

Combat Trance - "dm_me_kampftrance"

Runes of Protection - "dm_me_schutzrunen"

Edited by chattius

Some people asked to have a list how the english combat arts are named in spells.txt. Here it is.

I place them in the same order as they appear in spells.txt. Sometimes the german name for the combat art in spells.txt is not the same as used in the german version of the game:

Skeleton Fortification - Knochenturm (= bone tower) , but in spells.txt Unterstuetzung = support.

No guarantee that at least one combat art has the correct name :D

God Powers

Lumen - "gott_licht_blitz"

Ker - "gott_chaos_sakkaradaemon"

Testa - "gott_wissen_drohnen"

Kybele - "gott_natur_lebenskraft"

Kuan - "gott_krieg_kriegsrausch"

Forens - "gott_philosophie_schutzschild"

Seraphim Combat Arts

Pelting Strikes - "se_co_schlaghagel"

Assailing Somersault - "se_co_wirbelsprung"

Soul Hammer - "se_co_seelenhammer"