Modifying Combat Arts and understanding Flags - spells.txt

Looking at that file, it is very interesting. I am casually putting together a list of spell tokens. I'm curious to try making spells almost from scratch. My thought now is that it would be cool to give everyone more buffs that affect friends to create some interesting synegies in group play. But being a noob to this game, I'm having too much fun playing right now to do much if any modding. I do want to try changing tangled vine to be like a bush you can hide in and get some temporary buffs. Just as a test case. But since I'm doing a video series on the game, I don't want to mess up my files.

Here is a Wiki reference for the spell tokens: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Tokens

I'm not sure if it's complete or not. I also made a list of my own in alphabetical order that you can view here: Spell Tokens

However, that list is only the tokens that are listed at the bottom of spells.txt . Some spell tokens seem to function without being registered there (like "et_duration_sec" and a bunch of others).

If you want to make new spell tokens you can't simply add them to the bottom of the list. You'd have to replace existing ones in the token manager at the bottom of the file. Since many tokens are unused, this isn't a huge problem.

For example, this is custom token I made for the D2 mod:

mgr.addTokenBonus( {"et_provo_area", 53 }) -- 53 = crbonus_prone_poi

The name of the token can't be changed, but the number following it can be changed to a different bonus. The number '53' in this case is pointing to the bonus ID #53 as defined in blueprint.txt . "et_provo_area" originally pointed to bonus #156, which is inactive (which explains why the token isn't used). I changed the number to point to bonus #53, "crbonus_prone_poi". So now I can put the token "et_provo_area" into a spell and it will make enemies more prone to poison damage. As you probably already know, anything following a ' -- ' is a developer comment, so I just put that there to remind myself what the token is really doing.

I learned how to handle the scripts by downloading other mods and looking at what was changed, so that's what I recommend.

Great, lucid explanation

I can see why readers have been flocking to the D2 mod with posts like this as beacons along the way

:)

gogo

I've been racking my brain for about 12 hours today as I just started experimenting with modding the Shadow Warrior's Astral Lord tree. So far, I have been successful adding experience gain, visibility range, + to general skills, and walk speed to a buff. I put splash damage and life leech on the Spectral hand, which was pretty cool. I've modded Rallied Souls to last a nice, long time, and to give stronger minions. Now, what I really want to do is make it so that each minion gives you a bonus to run speed and experience gained, or some such, so that the more minions you have out the faster you go, etc. The minions don't work with "et_friendfactor", though. I can probably make it so that the more minions you have out, the stronger each minion is, as they might share buffs with each other, maybe? But I'm still puzzling over this because I want them to effect the player character.

I've been racking my brain for about 12 hours today as I just started experimenting with modding the Shadow Warrior's Astral Lord tree. So far, I have been successful adding experience gain, visibility range, + to general skills, and walk speed to a buff. I put splash damage and life leech on the Spectral hand, which was pretty cool. I've modded Rallied Souls to last a nice, long time, and to give stronger minions. Now, what I really want to do is make it so that each minion gives you a bonus to run speed and experience gained, or some such, so that the more minions you have out the faster you go, etc. The minions don't work with "et_friendfactor", though. I can probably make it so that the more minions you have out, the stronger each minion is, as they might share buffs with each other, maybe? But I'm still puzzling over this because I want them to effect the player character.

I think that you could do something like this by adding combat arts to the creatures that are summoned which buff speed/experience/whatever. But to do that you would need to modify some other files, creatures.txt perhaps. Have a read through some of what Flix has done for his mods by creating new enemies or giving them new skills as he may have given some insight there on how it's done. From off the top of my head though I would locate the creatures that are summoned in creatures.txt using the id number from spells.txt and then add the Combat Arts you want there. I'm not sure if you will need to modify their behaviour to make sure they use the buffs though as well as attacking...

Ah, as soon as you said that about creatures.txt, I had an ah ha. I already know where the kohorte minion is at because I accidentally changed my little summoned soldiers to non-combat children. Unfortunately, for the rallied soul minions, I believe the game just changes their faction? Although there could be a version of every mob just for their incarnation as a minion, considering there seems to be a t-mutant version already. But I am not too sure of that.

I'm wondering if it has to do with faction id 56 "FACTION_GCENEMYTOPLAYER". It really frustrates me not to be able to track this down through every file.

I see:

newBonus = {
-- name = "bb_chance_minion",
rating = 0,
basedonskill = "SKILL_INVALID",
type = "BONUS_CHANCE_MINION",
spez = "",
spez2 = "",
usagebits = 65535,
minconstraints = {0,0,0},
difficultyvaluerange0 = {0,0,0},
difficultyvaluerange1 = {1,0,0},
difficultyvaluerange2 = {2,0,0},
difficultyvaluerange3 = {3,0,0},
difficultyvaluerange4 = {4,0,0},
}
mgr.createBonus(192, newBonus);

in Blueprint.txt. That is the token that raises a minion. But I know of no way to look at the actual workings of the spell.

Edited by Bezlonir
  • 2 years later...

hey 

do you know if the dryade skill "ravaged impact" is even able to pierce enemies and keep flying?

if you are modifying "sinister predator" or just got bows with a %chance to do that

I was thinking about if its possible to have something like the "penetrating arrow" from sacred 1 

so if you mod your "ravaged impact" for "seeking" and got some % to pierce enemies if probably keeps flying and seeks the next enemy?

if this possibility is disabled, where would I find that information? (I am already checking spells.txt)

and an other thing

would it be possible to create a buff or an aura that works like "multiple shot" from sacred 1 (you have played enough wood elve to know where this is going xD)

there is a multiple missles and angle information for "darting assault" but I dont know, if you can move that information to a buff, to affect any ranged attacks

I must say, I know NOTHING about all this

I just started doing some visual modding but the spells are far beyond my skills xD

is there even something else, you have to "edit" if you replace or edit skill, but the spells.txt?

I wanna know at least, how far the work would go

I tried an other thing

why isn't this working?

mgr.defineSpell( "dm_me_mahlstrom", {
    eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
    fxTypeCast = "fx_dm_mahlstrom_c",
    fxTypeSpell = "fx_dm_mahlstrom",
    fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_DM_CAST_K",
    duration = 0.000000,
    animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM13",
    animTypeApproach = "",
    animTypeRide = "",
    animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM13-SPECIAL",
    causesSpellDamage = 1,
    tokens = {
        entry0 = {"et_duration_sec", 800, 6, 0, 8 },
        entry1 = {"et_missile_slowdown", 2000, 0, 0, 5 },
        entry2 = {"et_debuff_stats", 110, 1, 0, 42 },
        entry3 = {"et_debuff_movespeed", 500, 3, 0, 42 },
        entry4 = {"et_range_area", 1000, 2, 0, 4 },
        entry5 = {"et_pull_range_rel", 1200, 0, 1, 6 }, <----------- I just copied the information from the seraphim skill

ps: now I can imagine, the effect probably depends on the "usage bits" in blueprint.txt

where the "lichtsaeule" and "mahlstrom" have different numbers

but im too scared, to change them because I wouldnt know, what impact it would have on the rest of the skill

maybe half of the effects wouldnt work anymore

Edited by lolli42

I recognized, that mods, that include spells, have the "global.res" edited

I suppose, that all the visuals  and descriptions of the spells are based there

tho I am not able to open that file

can you help me with that? 

• 11 months later...

Help :bounce::drinks:

Because some tolkens despite function well, the information does not appear when we pass the cursor on combat art ...

Example: If I try to use the tolken "et_evade_detection" in the dragon mage although it works the information is not displayed. The information "Chance of not being detected" does not appear when you move the cursor or enter the "arts combat" screen.

3 hours ago, vagnerhammer said:

Because some tolkens despite function well, the information does not appear when we pass the cursor on combat art ..

There's a static table in 2logic.dll, that controls the amount of displayable tokens(up to four) and the ID's of tokens displayed for every hero CA ID in the game. If those don't match with the token ID's in spells.txt, the info is not displayed. 

Edited by dimitrius154
  • Thanks! 1
12 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

There's a static table in 2logic.dll, that controls the amount of displayable tokens(up to four) and the ID's of tokens displayed for every hero CA ID in the game. If those don't match with the token ID's in spells.txt, the info is not displayed. 

And can this table be changed :)
If so ... Can you suggest a tutorial what teach?

11 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

The "S2rw 1.7 global.res" I'm already using .... I'll get in touch with Ollydbg 1.0.10.0 debugger and the others as you suggest ...
Thank you very much!!

:smile:

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

Hello Am new Here,,,  but got some questions.

I have  knowlege about modding, c# and Xml, etc. got mods on nexus, so am bascally not an noob. just a new game in which I'll want to start modding.

About reworking spells/ buffs.

I want to add for some buffs, Attack Speed, cast speed and Movement speed. the point is even if I add walk or run speed nothing changed.

then I got few quesions about

what means this "entry3 = {"et_missile_adapt", 4900, 415, 0, 9 },"

I want to know "4900, 415 ,0, 9" dont worry I modified it allready,

but I would like to know for what the respective numbers count and what they do.

because I changed the numbers and its every time differend for example "4900" would be in my knowlege count that you have "4900" projectiles, but nope its differend here.

would like to ask for clarification.

And sorry for my bad english, am from germany.

• Like! 1

Welcome to the forum

Hard to say why adding walkspeed is not working without seeing your changes in spell.txt

For the missile numbers, I think they depend a bit on the ca-used.

• Thanks! 1

first of all thanks! ;)

I saw few people are activ, modders too, means thats kinda helpfull, because like I said I programmed a lot too, but for other games.

Right now am trying to make the game for me for fun, with more complexity.

back to topic then

okay well I just added an entry under one of the buffs, in my case right now crystal skin

my entry is "entry6 = {"et_runSpeed", 300, 3, 2, 42 },"  (dont take the numbers too seriously its just testing)

I really have NO idea what this "300, 3, 2, 42" means, the first one is the base?! means 300%? just an idea, and the other ones behind it? idk.

this makes in some cases no sense. few behind the base count as upgrade value, its like, if you upgrade the skill/buff, then it gets "xXx" value to the base. but I wish I would know what I changed there., even with testing, its not really easy. because you change it to a specific number, but in Game it is displayed and / or calculated  completly differently.

@chattius what do you mean with "For the missile numbers, I think they depend a bit on the ca-used." exactly, "ca-used"? I guess I don't quite understand that.

"entry6 = {"et_runSpeed", 300, 3, 2, 42 },"

entry6 means it is the 6th entry in the list of modifiers. Make sure you have only one 6th and that entries 1-5 exist.

I think it is "et_walkspeed"

300 means +30% from basespeed

3 is +0,3% for each level you have in the combat art

I think it should be 41 and not 42. It are flags 32+8+2, were each potence of 2 has a certain meaning.

I am a bit out, hope I am not too far away

yep for  sure there are entry 1-5 first.

et_walkspeed, I'll test it, 

the last sentence is a bit difficult for me to translate. or rather to understand.

you're a german too right? maybe but not here you can explain me that on my own language. maybe via PM?

at least if you're right about that. if not maybe there is someone else who knows about it, and maybe can help.

I come from an discord, there has the name fallen, "@flix or @dimitrius" maybe they have a bit time, to explain me that.

2 hours ago, FallenAngel said:

my entry is "entry6 = {"et_runSpeed", 300, 3, 2, 42 },"  (dont take the numbers too seriously its just testing)

300 = 30.0% -- this is the base value of the spell token

3 = 0.3% -- this is the increase per level

2 = the 2nd modification -- this number designates the spell token as a modification (1-6).  Leave at "0" to make it a base property of the spell.

42 = this number determines the application of the token (whether to self, to allies, to enemies, etc.).  This number generally should not be changed. 

Also keep in mind certain spell classes will only support certain spell tokens.

• Like! 1

That's Nice! Hey @chattius that wasn't even so bad at all,

thanks for the help @Flix

I got an other question about an other skill

"he_st_eissplitter"  something with ice splinter not sure exactly.

there is this line multiple times (with differend numbers)

Question A :   Why are there multiple times the line entry with differend numbers?

Question B :  On this example below, works allmost the same, as with "et_runSpeed", 300, 3, 2, 42" right?      4900 = (base), 415 =(upgrade gain) , 0 = second modifier (not sure exaclty how it works, seems like an multiplier?!) and the last one again, bit confuseing because I dont really have informations about it, unsure whats is the purpose of it and not sure what happend if I changed something there.

entry3 = {"et_missile_adapt", 4900, 415, 0, 9 },

But like I said I do not understand why there are multiple lines/entrys of it.

Again thanks for reading and helping me! 

I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, FallenAngel said:

Question A :   Why are there multiple times the line entry with differend numbers?

Question B :  On this example below, works allmost the same, as with "et_runSpeed", 300, 3, 2, 42" right?      4900 = (base), 415 =(upgrade gain) , 0 = second modifier (not sure exaclty how it works, seems like an multiplier?!) and the last one again, bit confuseing because I dont really have informations about it, unsure whats is the purpose of it and not sure what happend if I changed something there.

entry3 = {"et_missile_adapt", 4900, 415, 0, 9 },

You're not understanding what I mean when I say modification:

Upgrades1.jpg

That is the answer to both of your questions.  The line appears more than once because in the first instance it is a base property of the spell, and the later instances the value is increased by modifications.

19 hours ago, FallenAngel said:

first of all thanks! ;)

I saw few people are activ, modders too, means thats kinda helpfull, because like I said I programmed a lot too, but for other games.

Right now am trying to make the game for me for fun, with more complexity.

Just here to welcome to the Sacred Forums, FallenAngel

delighted to see you enjoying the game and community!

:Laie_58:

gogo