Famliar Experience mod still bugged, badly!

Well, I just built my dragon mage to level 32 and figured out that the character is ruined because of the Familiar experience mod bug!

I took the mod thinking that the game would default to the 10% bonus in the absence of other bonuses.

Boy, was I wrong!

The familiar's 10% experience bonus overrides ALL other xp bonuses, INCLUDING BLUE POTIONS!

After drinking a blue potion, the summary window will have two lines that say "bonus to experience:". The first line will say "bonus to experience: 10%", from the familiar. The second line will say "bonus to experience: 50%", from the blue potion.

What SHOULD happen is that the second line overrides the first. What DOES happen is that the first line overrides the second. Thus, your xp bonus as reflected by the green numbers over your kills remains at 10%, even after drinking a blue potion!

Now I have to decide whether to rebuild or just accept a permanent 10% bonus for the character. I don't think I can live with it, especially not on higher levels.

I sure do wish this information had been available! I am playing fully patched Ice and Blood with CM.

I will attempt to put a line in the Wiki that states this clearly.

I would rebuild, especially if you plan to take the build past level 100. re-running 32 levels stinks, but getting bogged down and leveling too slowly past 100 stinks worse.

BTW the experience bug also affected the deity statues. they are supposed to give a 100% XP boost for a short period, but only if there are no experience boosters active, (gear or poiton or CA mod.) So if you socket a 10% XP ring, the statues don't work at all.

Well, I just built my dragon mage to level 32 and figured out that the character is ruined because of the Familiar experience mod bug!

I took the mod thinking that the game would default to the 10% bonus in the absence of other bonuses.

Boy, was I wrong!

The familiar's 10% experience bonus overrides ALL other xp bonuses, INCLUDING BLUE POTIONS!

After drinking a blue potion, the summary window will have two lines that say "bonus to experience:". The first line will say "bonus to experience: 10%", from the familiar. The second line will say "bonus to experience: 50%", from the blue potion.

What SHOULD happen is that the second line overrides the first. What DOES happen is that the first line overrides the second. Thus, your xp bonus as reflected by the green numbers over your kills remains at 10%, even after drinking a blue potion!

Now I have to decide whether to rebuild or just accept a permanent 10% bonus for the character. I don't think I can live with it, especially not on higher levels.

I sure do wish this information had been available! I am playing fully patched Ice and Blood with CM.

I will attempt to put a line in the Wiki that states this clearly.

Sorry to hear about this, Belgarathmth.

This was discussed, here but no one really followed up with putting info to wiki.

I did follow the thread for a bit, but as a consoler, I never had +xp statues, and mentor potions stacked with bonuses from gear, so I really didn't pay full attention to what was being discussed.

Thats annoying. I would have thought that 10% would have worked like you thought. Bit of a bummer, but I'm with loco. You're definitely better of restarting now while its still early enough to do so. You can pass down any gear you've used for you're new toon to grow into as well as a bit of help.

Thanks, everybody. I restarted today and got up to level 19 in one session.

I gifted the new guy all the blue potions saved from all my other characters so I could keep a blue potion active pretty much all the time, so that's helping.

Unfortunately, with the other character, I had meticulously uncovered every inch of the elf region.

Now I'm just beelining through the main quest and the personal quest to get to the good grinding areas.

The OCD player in me wants that map uncovered, though, so maybe I'll feel better and go back to that during Gold. I've got my Junior Cartographer, but have never achieved my Master Cartographer.

If I'm not mistaken, this familiar mod doesn't override the other bonuses, bit is overrided by them. At least when I put a +3% amulet after taking this mod, the experience went down, as if only 3% but not 10% were applied.

If I'm not mistaken, this familiar mod doesn't override the other bonuses, bit is overrided by them. At least when I put a +3% amulet after taking this mod, the experience went down, as if only 3% but not 10% were applied.

I didn't test jewelry, but blue potions are definitely overriden. A blue potion should give a 50% bonus to experience, yet the bonus remains at 10%.

Did you try to wear jewelry that would make your experience bonus be higher than 10%?

I suspect a botched if-then line in the programming. They wrote a line somewhere that says "if experience bonus < 10% then...", when it should have said "if experience bonus > 10% then...."

Or, there could be some lines left out of their program flow chart logic that were supposed to cause the program to check for two lines of experience bonus and take the higher of the two; instead, it takes the first line and ignores any others.

Based on your comment, I changed the Wiki line I added to read "overrides all greater experience bonuses" instead of "overrides all other experience bonuses".

Edited by belgarathmth

The cause could be as simple as:

xpBonus = bonus1;
xpBonus = bonus2;

instead of:

xpBonus = bonus1;
xpBonus += bonus2;

But at this point, all we can do is document these bugs and try to work around them.

It is possible to get more than 10% by jewellery. It was tested in a party of a Dragon Mage and a High Elf of the same level - both were wearing items with +20% experience total and they got equal amount of the experience for the monsters they fought together, even though the DM had his familiar modded to +experience. So his experience bonus really was +20% that he had from items, but the bonus from familiar wasn't applied. More to come, bonuses from items and potions do add correctly. On the other side, bonuses from statues and familiar apply only if you don't have any other bonuses applied. Bonus from the familiar also can't be combined with the statue or potion.

@Silver Fox, blue potions do NOT work with the familiar xp mod, at all. Your experience bonus will still be 10%, (or whatever it is adjusted for equipment), even after drinking a potion, when it should be 50%.

You are playing Ice and Blood with the latest CM patch, right? The version makes a difference.

This fact is a total deal breaker for me, and it's what people need to know before choosing that mod.

There's no way I'm going to play a high-level character without the 50% bonus from blue potions!

(This was tested by drinking a blue potion both with and without the Familiar buff turned on. The green numbers over kills are at 50% bonus WITHOUT the familiar and a blue potion. The green numbers fall to 10% WITH the familiar and a blue potion.)

Edited by belgarathmth

(Sorry for the double post.)

Okay, based on Silver's additional research, I changed the caveat in the Wiki to read, "Overrides experience bonuses from blue potions! Blue potions and statues have no effect while this mod is active."

Gee, Ascaron really didn't want us to level up huh. :blink: I'll try and make a special stub for the Experience, Potion of the Mentor and Statues pages. Maybe Alchemy too. A brief paragraph explaining the mechanic/bug should do the trick. Suggestions are welcome!

(Sorry for the double post.)

Okay, based on Silver's additional research, I changed the caveat in the Wiki to read, "Overrides experience bonuses from blue potions! Blue potions and statues have no effect while this mod is active."

I'm just getting in from the weekend now, checking the Wiki. The new edits are good. Thanks Belgarathmth for the edits. You're a detailed player, and you're hitting fine points on the nail. It's really helping when you note and post about stuff like this for anyone here to help out by adding the edits. Thank you.

Silver, thanks for helping out with the testing for us to help nail this! And Schot thanks for the link change from blue potion to Potion of the Mentor page on Wiki. Lol, there are so many pages on the Wiki, it's getting to be tough to know if a link exists for words that we are writing into articles anymore, maybe there's a way to automate a search when ever you press preview or something?

I'm wondering if there is a tool we can add that, if you run it, will offer link suggestions for any and all words that someone is previewing so that all words that have pages previously entered into the Wiki will be found and linked too.

Neat idea eh?

:D

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

What happened is that there wasa bug which allowed you to prolong the XP bonus from statues (+100%) by taking mentor pots. As long as the mentor pot bonus didn't run out, you got the benefit of the statue (as well I think). So if you had enough mentor pots you could keep the statue bonus indefinitely (or at lest until you logged off). The current situation is the result of the "fix" for this bug. So I think the bug/fallout/collateral damage is that gear, CA mods & mentor potions don't stack as the user would expect them to.

• 5 months later...

The cause could be as simple as:

xpBonus = bonus1;
xpBonus = bonus2;

instead of:

xpBonus = bonus1;
xpBonus += bonus2;

But at this point, all we can do is document these bugs and try to work around them.

This, is probably exactly what happened. That being the case, what it points to is that the bonus from the Familiar mod is likely factored at the very end for the experience bonus equation.