Dfference between the 3 Win7 versions?

Llama8

There may have been something in that update. When I was shutting down Sacred last night, I saw that Windows had updates to do. Tonight, it rebooted itself the first time I tried to start it up. The second time, it gave the message saying that it was configuring updates.

Yeah, I think that's what's happening, it took 7-8 mins to get to the login screen this morning, but it hasn't come up with the "configuring updates" screen for a few days. It then installed a few more updates this morning (including IE9) & after a quick reboot ~15-20 mins later it still hadn't got back to the login screen. Does boot logging cover the configuring updates stage?

I don't mind it doing updates, it just seems to do them almost everyday & then it takes a conciderable amount of time to boot afterwards.

I haven't really had any issues with win7, but today my stupid laptop was freezing after the bios screen. Nothing happening, it took 30mins of restarting, leaving for a bit, leaving on black nothingness, restart, try again before I finally could load windows...so I wonder if there was a recent update that did something...? Normally I have no issues with updates.

There may have been something in that update. When I was shutting down Sacred last night, I saw that Windows had updates to do. Tonight, it rebooted itself the first time I tried to start it up. The second time, it gave the message saying that it was configuring updates.

Yeah, I think that's what's happening, it took 7-8 mins to get to the login screen this morning, but it hasn't come up with the "configuring updates" screen for a few days. It then installed a few more updates this morning (including IE9) & after a quick reboot ~15-20 mins later it still hadn't got back to the login screen. Does boot logging cover the configuring updates stage?

I don't mind it doing updates, it just seems to do them almost everyday & then it takes a considerable amount of time to boot afterwards.

With a fresh install, this update phase is going to take a bit, unless you manually go into windows update and get all the high priority updates out of the way. BTW, some updates don't show until other updates are applied. :/

Once all these updates are complete you should only have to indure them about once a month.

With a fresh install, this update phase is going to take a bit, unless you manually go into windows update and get all the high priority updates out of the way. BTW, some updates don't show until other updates are applied. :/

Which would at least explain why it seems to be installing updates each evening. What bothers me & makes me think that there's an issue is that there's no "configuring updates" screen inbetween the swirly-windows screen & the login screen anymore. At least if there's a screen which says that it's running some stuff & is x% through I know that it's ok, rather than just displaying a black screen while it churns away in the background. If I can get back into windows, I might roll back all of the updates from yesterday & today & then apply them one by one to see if there are any issues with any specific updates.

Once all these updates are complete you should only have to indure them about once a month.

Which is what I was expecting from XP.

Ok, the login screen is "there", it's just black. If I wait a reasonable amount of time for Win7 to finish churning away, the cursor flickers/disappears & if I then type in my password it logs in to Windows properly, it's just the login screen is black, so it's a bit difficult to tell when it's finished booting Windows & has got to the login screen...

I found this while googling for your particular problem. It's a bit or reading but at least 1 poster found a solution. possible virus that changed the normal login screen to a black on black on black login screen.

check it out on the windows 7 forum here: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/27414-blank-screen-cursor-but-no-log-screen.html

I tried running MalwareBytes Antimalware & Avira AV (run most mornings) & neither of them came up with any issues. I also looked through that thread (I've seen it before) & tried running through post #8 (I assume this is the one you're refering to), but when I get to this bit:

Now I have seen that mostly it deletes a security group or user so you’ll notice that where all the users and groups are listed, usually there is a user which only consists out of a string of numbers( long string) which indicates that the user or group has been deleted.

There aren't any users/groups which consist of a string of numbers, there's 5 users/permission entries (Administrators, system, users & 2 authenticated users), so I'm slightly wary of doing the "take ownership" bit (on the other hand, #### it!).

I've also tried the "OEM background" thing but that's not worked either.

Ok, the login screen is "there", it's just black. If I wait a reasonable amount of time for Win7 to finish churning away, the cursor flickers/disappears & if I then type in my password it logs in to Windows properly, it's just the login screen is black, so it's a bit difficult to tell when it's finished booting Windows & has got to the login screen...

Once again, did you check for malware? What you're describing is not normal in my experience. Windows 7 - when installing updates - should come up to the normal blue background screen and tell you that it's configuring updates and give you a % complete indication - after which it should pop up the usual log in box.

There have been issues reported where black screens have popped up and the machine was found to be compromised by something. Please check your system with reliable tools - like malwarebytes antimalware, the Microsoft malicious software removal tool and a good online antivirus.

Never mind.. Should have read the whole thread...

Here's another one you might want to try:

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Edited by wolfie2kX
:D I posted here & re-installed my gfx drivers which fixed the problem. Only now it's still an issue, after running the AV this morning (booting up for the AV run & the login screen was as it should be), a subsequent boot & the login screen's black again.