Frozen happiness!

Banana and honeycomb ice cream. I make honeycomb quite often, but it is not something that last long, so I melt the honeycomb into the cream, leave out all the sugar from the recipe, and finish the custard, then I add the cooked custard to very ripe mashed bananas. I crush up honeycomb into little chunks and bits, add that to the finished ice cream and quickly fold it in. so you get crunchy bits of honeycomb in each bite. 

Violet and White chocolate parfait. I used violet sugar, which gives a nice purple colour and violet flavour and adapted the recipe from dark chocolate to white chocolate. It sets softer than the dark chocolate parfait sets, but it has more diversity for plating and pairing with other flavours. 

Nocciola ice cream. I made a plain light vanilla base added some milk powder as a stabilizer and added toasted ground hazelnuts and franjelico to the cooled mixture. I think it is happines on a spoon.

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

Banana and honeycomb ice cream. I make honeycomb quite often, but it is not something that last long, so I melt the honeycomb into the cream, leave out all the sugar from the recipe, and finish the custard, then I add the cooked custard to very ripe mashed bananas. I crush up honeycomb into little chunks and bits, add that to the finished ice cream and quickly fold it in. so you get crunchy bits of honeycomb in each bite. 

Violet and White chocolate parfait. I used violet sugar, which gives a nice purple colour and violet flavour and adapted the recipe from dark chocolate to white chocolate. It sets softer than the dark chocolate parfait sets, but it has more diversity for plating and pairing with other flavours. 

Nocciola ice cream. I made a plain light vanilla base added some milk powder as a stabilizer and added toasted ground hazelnuts and franjelico to the cooled mixture. I think it is happines on a spoon.

I'm imagining this desert in 30 degree temperature here now.  Violet sugar...never heard of this...the color must be spectacular~!

:bounce:

gogo

• Like! 1

It is something that is quite simple to make really, flavoured sugars. but it needs a bit of time and patience if you want to keep it for longer times. using flowers are easy. cover the flowers in the sugar, and leave to dry for a few days in a dry spot(humidity is bad in this case) or dry it in the oven on a low temperature, otherwise the sugar will melt. Once that is done, blend it to a powder form with the sugar. store in an airtight container. 

this is the same colour that we got.

image.thumb.png.02f3ebc3ba19ced9236f58045816d1ed.png

The parfait was just a bit paler and had a creamier colour because of the whipped cream, egg whites and yolks....

Edited by Delta!
On 6/3/2018 at 6:27 AM, Delta! said:

It is something that is quite simple to make really, flavoured sugars. but it needs a bit of time and patience if you want to keep it for longer times. using flowers are easy. cover the flowers in the sugar, and leave to dry for a few days in a dry spot(humidity is bad in this case) or dry it in the oven on a low temperature, otherwise the sugar will melt. Once that is done, blend it to a powder form with the sugar. store in an airtight container. 

this is the same colour that we got.

image.thumb.png.02f3ebc3ba19ced9236f58045816d1ed.png

The parfait was just a bit paler and had a creamier colour because of the whipped cream, egg whites and yolks....

I can't believe the prep involved in this... and such an astonishing color... you must be there working 48 hours a day!

:lol:

gogo

• 4 months later...

No... but I wish I had 48 hours in a day... imagine how much more you could do and how much more you can sleep... 

A new flavour of Gelato. Ginger and passion fruit. I did not have any cream, but had lots of milk... so I made Gelato. Warmed up the milk with fresh ginger, the milk ended up curdling because the ginger contains protease that curdles cold or room temperature milk(and cream I suppose). so I just blended it together and then passed it through a chinois. Because a lot of the solids and binding agents got strained out, I added some milk powder and then tempered it into the eggs. Got it churning and made a passion fruit jell that I added in the last minute of churning. It is quite refreshing from the ginger and the passion fruit adds a nice tart bite.

6 hours ago, Delta! said:

No... but I wish I had 48 hours in a day... imagine how much more you could do and how much more you can sleep... 

A new flavour of Gelato. Ginger and passion fruit. I did not have any cream, but had lots of milk... so I made Gelato. Warmed up the milk with fresh ginger, the milk ended up curdling because the ginger contains protease that curdles cold or room temperature milk(and cream I suppose). so I just blended it together and then passed it through a chinois. Because a lot of the solids and binding agents got strained out, I added some milk powder and then tempered it into the eggs. Got it churning and made a passion fruit jell that I added in the last minute of churning. It is quite refreshing from the ginger and the passion fruit adds a nice tart bite.

Love this art of constantly adapting to be successful.  Half chemist, half gourmand!

gogo

4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Love this art of constantly adapting to be successful.  Half chemist, half gourmand!

gogo

I only found out after it curdled... I was looking at the pot going "aaaaaaah hel NO!" and then quickly jumped on google to find out why. I did not google how to fix it.

Banana bread ice cream.

So our one sous chef ordered 3 BOXES of bananas that was over ripe and the suppliers basically gave it to us for free. The juniors peeled, vacuum sealed and froze them, and we are now trying to use up all these very ripe frozen bananas... The student that was working with me a while ago makes amazing banana bread, so I asked him to make 3 times the recipe, cause I am gonna make banana bread ice cream.

Made a simple vanilla base, and when it was done cooking, I just added half a loaf of pieces to the hot mixture and left it overnight to cool and the bread to soak up the custard. The next morning, I cut the rest of the loaf up into small dice, and dried them, like croutons. then I blended the the custard base with the bits of bread to make it smooth, and started churning it. Once the ice cream had gotten to the temperature where it keeps its shape, I added the croutons and churned just to let the croutons mix in, about 2 minutes.

It might be one of my favourites that I have made so far... 

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Delta! said:

Banana bread ice cream.

So our one sous chef ordered 3 BOXES of bananas that was over ripe and the suppliers basically gave it to us for free. The juniors peeled, vacuum sealed and froze them, and we are now trying to use up all these very ripe frozen bananas... The student that was working with me a while ago makes amazing banana bread, so I asked him to make 3 times the recipe, cause I am gonna make banana bread ice cream.

Made a simple vanilla base, and when it was done cooking, I just added half a loaf of pieces to the hot mixture and left it overnight to cool and the bread to soak up the custard. The next morning, I cut the rest of the loaf up into small dice, and dried them, like croutons. then I blended the the custard base with the bits of bread to make it smooth, and started churning it. Once the ice cream had gotten to the temperature where it keeps its shape, I added the croutons and churned just to let the croutons mix in, about 2 minutes.

It might be one of my favourites that I have made so far... 

I can feel that crouton texture in my mind's mouth :lol: ... bananas and crunchiness are a combo made in heaven.  What  a delicious treat that three boxes of over ripe banana was transformed into... and amazing reading about you referring to someone as your "student"... you have come far friend!

:superman:

gogo

• Thanks! 1

Oh I could not use that many bananas all at once gogo. They where 3 large boxes...

Yeah. I have trained a few students. One that I am the most proud of is Jenna. She is about to finish her studies back at her school, and she already has a job as the pastry chef at the new Marriot hotel in Cape Town opening December. I am sooooooo proud, and little bit jealous. She has told me about the amazing new kitchen and her own section and she will be running it with junior staff.

She was quite exceptional and very bright, lots of initiative and knew the basics that I could build upon and teach her more in a short time. She would ask questions, "Why does this happen, what difference would this make, how can we use this flavour/ingredient, and how will it be different."

On 10/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, Delta! said:

Oh I could not use that many bananas all at once gogo. They where 3 large boxes...

Yeah. I have trained a few students. One that I am the most proud of is Jenna. She is about to finish her studies back at her school, and she already has a job as the pastry chef at the new Marriot hotel in Cape Town opening December. I am sooooooo proud, and little bit jealous. She has told me about the amazing new kitchen and her own section and she will be running it with junior staff.

She was quite exceptional and very bright, lots of initiative and knew the basics that I could build upon and teach her more in a short time. She would ask questions, "Why does this happen, what difference would this make, how can we use this flavour/ingredient, and how will it be different."

My friend you have come far far along your road and have so much delightfully far to go with your journey

... I'm grateful you keep sharing your experience with us of life and cookery... sometimes your images of sweet concoctonations (hell I made that word up :viking: )  dance in the dreams of not only me but in the memories and heart of all the cooks and cookettes (dang right im taking inspiration for that one! ( :mafia: ) you inspire along your road

:cool:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
  • 5 months later...

Pomegranate and Ginger sorbet. 

We had a wedding this past Thursday for 178pax and they had pomegranate and ginger sorbet as a palate cleanser before main course was served. Dessert was a buffet. We had another wedding for 80pax on Saturday and they did not have a palate cleansing sorbet, but they also had a dessert buffet. I worked 12days back to back to prepare all the things for both dessert buffets. At least I was off on Sunday after the second wedding.

• Appreciation 1
10 hours ago, Delta! said:

We had a wedding this past Thursday for 178pax and they had pomegranate and ginger sorbet as a palate cleanser before main course was served. Dessert was a buffet. We had another wedding for 80pax on Saturday and they did not have a palate cleansing sorbet, but they also had a dessert buffet. I worked 12days back to back to prepare all the things for both dessert buffets. At least I was off on Sunday after the second wedding.

I can taste that pairing in my head. Ginger is extraordinarily crisp spicy and refreshing. 

That day off must have been a joy 

🥳

gogo

21 hours ago, Delta! said:

Sounds really tasty!

Also sounds like you needed more than one day off after all that...

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2017 at 2:32 PM, gogoblender said:

I just cant get over reading this list... its an outstanding level of creativity... I mean... does your restaurant every day have to change printed menus to keep up with this, use a blackboard, or just verbally told that there will wild new flavors today?

Genius and creative

:)

gogo

We type the menus everyday, and we then explain it to the Front Of House staff, but one of the senior chefs still go out to the table and talk to the guests to make a recommendation, or answer questions if there are any... the General Manager wants us to go through the whole menu and explain every component of the 3 starters, soup, 4 main courses, 2 desserts and all the cheeses on the cheese platter... I am sorry, but NO guests has ever shown interest in hearing the menu like that. they stop you after the first starter and ask what I will recommend, or inquire about possible dietaries, and then they read the menu for themselves... 

So I generally recommend the starter, main course and dessert that I would eat if I was the guest.

• Respect! 1
12 hours ago, Delta! said:

We type the menus everyday, and we then explain it to the Front Of House staff, but one of the senior chefs still go out to the table and talk to the guests to make a recommendation, or answer questions if there are any... the General Manager wants us to go through the whole menu and explain every component of the 3 starters, soup, 4 main courses, 2 desserts and all the cheeses on the cheese platter... I am sorry, but NO guests has ever shown interest in hearing the menu like that. they stop you after the first starter and ask what I will recommend, or inquire about possible dietaries, and then they read the menu for themselves... 

So I generally recommend the starter, main course and dessert that I would eat if I was the guest.

is the manager aware of this?

if I were the customer, I would have eaten all the starters, all the main courses and all the desserts!

The last time I had lunch in a restaurant, I had 6 starters, a first course, a second one, a sessert, a coffee and some digestive liquor!

Fortunately I do much physical activity, otherwise ...

:D

Edited by Mare
On 5/31/2019 at 5:10 PM, Delta! said:

I love when a menu is discovered with us as consumers.  But I agree with you that by simply looking at it as a "list" is a boring read to anyone... and I'd quickly want to cut to what the server thinks is important, relevant, interesting, and maybe some kind of history or story of it...or just the ones that perhaps I point out.

Having a long list of of a many-coursed meal would become rote for both sides quickly

gogo

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, Mare said:

is the manager aware of this?

if I were the customer, I would have eaten all the starters, all the main courses and all the desserts!

The last time I had lunch in a restaurant, I had 6 starters, a first course, a second one, a sessert, a coffee and some digestive liquor!

Fortunately I do much physical activity, otherwise ...

:D

Yes, we have told him, he still wants us to discuss every tiny detail, where and when the salad leaves where picked (we get it in "pillow cases from our fruit & veg supplier" how old the cow was when it was slaughtered, etc...) When we are busy, then we can't stand there for 10min talking about every component, who is going to be preparing the plates then...?

On 6/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, gogoblender said:

I love when a menu is discovered with us as consumers.  But I agree with you that by simply looking at it as a "list" is a boring read to anyone... and I'd quickly want to cut to what the server thinks is important, relevant, interesting, and maybe some kind of history or story of it...or just the ones that perhaps I point out.

Having a long list of of a many-coursed meal would become rote for both sides quickly

gogo

For Dinner service we go out to the table with canapes or amuse bouche, give that to the guests, introduce yourself, if we don't have any dietaries on our day sheet, then we ask if they have any allergies etc that we need to be aware off. Then we quickly discuss the menu (in large groups they never want to listen to the chef, so we just recommend one of each course that is fast to plate.) and rush back to the kitchen to start preparing their food.

A new sorbet that I made.

Cape Gooseberry sorbet.

I do not know if you are familiar with the yellow cape gooseberries. They are quite common here in the Western Cape. they grow in a papery casing, that peels of very easily, and they have a tart flavour that balances sweetness very well. I strained it to get the seeds out since it is not a pleasant seed to eat. The colour stayed a nice yellow, similar to the berries in the pictures.

image.png.291e4399f30aae4e8fbbcb7a6ced1820.png

image.png.d5f4bed9e77090219248c8f417ee8cab.png

Apple, cantaloupe & ginger. I made it as a palate refresher. I used granny smith apples for a tarter flavour and green colour, the cantaloupe for a bit f sweetness and body, and the ginger to cleanse the palate before you start eating main course.

Mango & banana sorbet. it is very smooth and almost creamy. I only blended the fresh banana with some frozen mango chunks, added icing sugar and glucose and a bit of lemon juice. goes very well with Desserts that needs a tropical flavour and where ice cream won't compliment the dessert.

Pineapple & Papaya sorbet. It can be used as a palate refresher or can be an accompaniment for a dessert. It pairs beautifully with coconut and lemon flavours.

3 hours ago, Delta! said:

A new sorbet that I made.

Cape Gooseberry sorbet.

I do not know if you are familiar with the yellow cape gooseberries. They are quite common here in the Western Cape. they grow in a papery casing, that peels of very easily, and they have a tart flavour that balances sweetness very well. I strained it to get the seeds out since it is not a pleasant seed to eat. The colour stayed a nice yellow, similar to the berries in the pictures.

image.png.291e4399f30aae4e8fbbcb7a6ced1820.png

image.png.d5f4bed9e77090219248c8f417ee8cab.png

Apple, cantaloupe & ginger. I made it as a palate refresher. I used granny smith apples for a tarter flavour and green colour, the cantaloupe for a bit f sweetness and body, and the ginger to cleanse the palate before you start eating main course.

Mango & banana sorbet. it is very smooth and almost creamy. I only blended the fresh banana with some frozen mango chunks, added icing sugar and glucose and a bit of lemon juice. goes very well with Desserts that needs a tropical flavour and where ice cream won't compliment the dessert.

Pineapple & Papaya sorbet. It can be used as a palate refresher or can be an accompaniment for a dessert. It pairs beautifully with coconut and lemon flavours.

I adore that  thin parchment-like paper that comes wrapped around these berries. The sweet taste is so distinct , lots of brix (hey, just learned that word...gotta use it! :lol: ). As usual, your combinations never cease to keep thrilling.

The pix just make your food presentation pop!

gogo

Anyone with a good recipe for vegan ice-cream?

Wife says 6 of our guests for next weekend will be vegan. I am used to use cashew cream for the fat and fruits from the date palm for sweatness.

2 hours ago, chattius said:

Anyone with a good recipe for vegan ice-cream?

Wife says 6 of our guests for next weekend will be vegan. I am used to use cashew cream for the fat and fruits from the date palm for sweatness.

I've never made anything like that before, Chattius, but I'm excited to read about your project, and dying to see what Theuns comes up with!

ggo

Coconut milk and cream. I use the 400ml cans. 

easy recipe:

2 cans coconut cream

2 cans coconut milk I use the cream and milk, because the cream does have a slighty higher fat content...

100g glucose ( if glucose is not available, then just use 100g extra sugar)

300g castor sugar

50ml vodka, or if available, a coconut flavoured rum like the one below.

image.png.4039f276d84fce8b1e09fd6a559cc212.png

Warm up one can of coconut milk with the glucose and sugar to just melt the sugar, remove from the heat and mix everything else together. Churn in an ice cream machine, and keep in the freezer till needed.

• Appreciation 1