Frozen happiness!

Thanks for the recipe.

I normally try to avoid coconut cream and fat for kids. We have no market I can buy fresh coconuts. And buying final products: the coconut milk orten is heated in production process to 200C to remove strong tasting acids.  Above 170C there is always  a risc that unhealthy stuff is created. And kids have less weight but eat more ice. They reach the level you have to considere health issues more quickly. 

Cashew seems yet(?) free from such health issues. It is tasting more neutral right away and -having the seeds- you can produce it yourself with full control. There are also a lot of healthy minerals in cashew, like magnesium.

https://www.thefullhelping.com/purpose-cashew-cream-recipe/

On 8/3/2019 at 1:42 PM, Delta! said:

Coconut milk and cream. I use the 400ml cans. 

easy recipe:

2 cans coconut cream

2 cans coconut milk I use the cream and milk, because the cream does have a slighty higher fat content...

100g glucose ( if glucose is not available, then just use 100g extra sugar)

300g castor sugar

50ml vodka, or if available, a coconut flavoured rum like the one below.

image.png.4039f276d84fce8b1e09fd6a559cc212.png

Warm up one can of coconut milk with the glucose and sugar to just melt the sugar, remove from the heat and mix everything else together. Churn in an ice cream machine, and keep in the freezer till needed.

yumm... right off the bat with malibu... kayumbo!

:D

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Marmalade ice cream. We get some really good artisan marmalade and I made an ice cream with it. came out really smooth, with the bits of orange skin, and a sweet, citrusy tartness. it pairs well with almond cake, frangipane, chocolate, dates, and coconut desserts.

Brilliant...I LOVE marmalade! that sweet, bitter marriage of flavors gets me every time.  It was one of my dad's favorites, but I hated it when I was a kid... :lol: funny how our taste buds change... did you get good color on that ice cream?

:)

gogo

4 minutes ago, Delta! said:

A light beige colour, with a few orange specs from the skin. 

Can't go a week without ice cream... and the citrus flavors we just never get tired of

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

I made a kumquat sorbet. We have a lot of kumquat trees on the estate, and they deliver a lot of fruit at this time. So I have made marmalade, chutney and sorbet.

I cut it in quarters and took out most of the seeds as best as I could, cooked it with some castor sugar, glucose and a bit of orange juice, till the skin was just soft. Blended into a smooth puree (had to ad a bit more icing sugar as it was way to tart) and then churned it. Most people think it is an ice cream, the pith made it very smooth and creamy and the flavour is very citrussy, but I like it.

Do you use rosemary in some of your sorbets?

We have quinces trees. Our local quinces are terrible hard. You can't eat them without preparing. We harvest the last quinces when the first frost hit them, normally end of november.

The sorbet:

Heat white wine with sugar and twigs of rosemary till it comes to a boil. Then remove the rosemary.

Peeling the quinces carefully so that only the fine hairs and outer skin is removed, quartering and removing the core. Cutting in cubes.

Put cubes and wine mix in a pot, heat till it comes to a boil. remove heat and wait till the cubes are tender.

Press through a fine sieve.

Freeze it, no neat of an ice machine (at least for our quinces) because they contain a lot of pectin. The word marmelade relates to the portugeese name of quinces: marmelo.

Before filling the last containers for the fridge we mix cinnamon into the sorbet. Let's call it a winter and x-mas special ;)

Quinces start to become modern again. But our trees are way older and bigger. As I said they are hard, they are big and heavy. They have no stem. They grew attached to the branch. So if you use a pole with a hook to pick them you are in danger that two pounds of weight accelerate all the 15feet to your head. So new plantages don't have high trees anymore.

We use some of the quinces just for the smell. Sticking cinnamon into them and laying them in a bowl. The whole room has a nice winter smell.

261579_1_org_ingwer2.jpg

On 9/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, chattius said:

Do you use rosemary in some of your sorbets?

We have quinces trees. Our local quinces are terrible hard. You can't eat them without preparing. We harvest the last quinces when the first frost hit them, normally end of november.

The sorbet:

Heat white wine with sugar and twigs of rosemary till it comes to a boil. Then remove the rosemary.

Peeling the quinces carefully so that only the fine hairs and outer skin is removed, quartering and removing the core. Cutting in cubes.

Put cubes and wine mix in a pot, heat till it comes to a boil. remove heat and wait till the cubes are tender.

Press through a fine sieve.

Freeze it, no neat of an ice machine (at least for our quinces) because they contain a lot of pectin. The word marmelade relates to the portugeese name of quinces: marmelo.

Before filling the last containers for the fridge we mix cinnamon into the sorbet. Let's call it a winter and x-mas special ;)

Quinces start to become modern again. But our trees are way older and bigger. As I said they are hard, they are big and heavy. They have no stem. They grew attached to the branch. So if you use a pole with a hook to pick them you are in danger that two pounds of weight accelerate all the 15feet to your head. So new plantages don't have high trees anymore.

We use some of the quinces just for the smell. Sticking cinnamon into them and laying them in a bowl. The whole room has a nice winter smell.

261579_1_org_ingwer2.jpg

I have not used rosemary in sorbet yet. We have quince trees on the estate, and I do use them every year for sorbet, ice creams, tarts and compotes/jams.

I will try this sorbet that you mentioned once they are ready for harvest, which will be in late November, early December. Only problem is that they get stung by insects a LOT since no spray are used on them...

• Like! 1
On 9/14/2019 at 6:52 AM, Delta! said:

I have not used rosemary in sorbet yet. We have quince trees on the estate, and I do use them every year for sorbet, ice creams, tarts and compotes/jams.

I will try this sorbet that you mentioned once they are ready for harvest, which will be in late November, early December. Only problem is that they get stung by insects a LOT since no spray are used on them...

Insects stinging trees is an issue? This is kind of new to me... I thought the stings would only harm animals... it has deleterious effects for plants as well?

:blink: 

gogo