Frozen happiness!

There's room here for visitors, just a call in advance, and you can visit

Looking for those lollipops or, in fact... mini home made cones of pattisserie and sherbert?

Sky's the limit...cheescake popsicles with drippy fruit liqueurs anyone?

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

New flavour of ice cream.

Pecan nut pie ice cream.

Made the filling for a pecan nut pie, and baked it in a bainmarie, without a crust. Let it cool outside and left it in the fridge overnight to set. Added pieces as the plain ice cream base was churning. I did leave out some sugar from the base, cause the pie has sugar, honey and syrup in...

It came out very nice with chucky bits of pecan nut pie. Served it with a milktart mousse (milktart is a very traditional Afrikaans dessert, a custard is made and flavoured with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon. Some recipes says it gets baked in the crust, some recipes call for making a pot stirred custard and pouring it into the baked crust. Cinnamon is sprinkled over and it is put in the fridge for a few hours to set. Closest to describin it will be Hong kong egg tarts, but less eggy, or English egg custard tarts, but way more delicious!), ginger biscuits, and a brandy gel.

I have to beat the sous chef away with a pan or else she will eat all of it... Hazards of being a chef

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

This sounds rich and sweet... and you pretty much had me sold at Pecans, custard cream... lordy, and I've been so terrific with my blood sugar this summer!

:blink:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

I made a Miso Ice cream last week. Miso is a fermented red bean paste. It has a natural sweetness and umami flavours to it, but it adapts very well to other flavours. It softens intense sweetness of other components and adds the bit extra surprising flavour. It was served with a pumpkin pie, pecan nut and white chocolate butter, candied pumpkin seeds and pecan nuts and a pumpkin puree. The guests who ordered it all sent compliments.

And I have made the base only today, but tomorrow I will be making an apricot and vanilla gelato. It is to e paired with a Classical Sacher torte, almond crumble, and chocolate cremeax.

Delta!

• Like! 1

I made a Miso Ice cream last week. Miso is a fermented red bean paste. It has a natural sweetness and umami flavours to it, but it adapts very well to other flavours. It softens intense sweetness of other components and adds the bit extra surprising flavour. It was served with a pumpkin pie, pecan nut and white chocolate butter, candied pumpkin seeds and pecan nuts and a pumpkin puree. The guests who ordered it all sent compliments.

And I have made the base only today, but tomorrow I will be making an apricot and vanilla gelato. It is to e paired with a Classical Sacher torte, almond crumble, and chocolate cremeax.

Delta!

I've had some read bean paste in a few deserts, mostly asian bun shops, here in Montreal. It's not something I loved right away, but after some time spent thinking and chewing, did come to enjoy it, and have a place for it in my sweet palette these days.

And yes to Sacher Torte...Classic!

croppedimage1220870-0Start.jpg

gogo

Wow Chattius! That sounds gooooood. I wish I had the space to keep bees, cause I love honey, and it has become so expensive to buy.

The ice cream also sounds amazing! How I wish I could be in Germany now...

Delta!

My bees were busy and I got a lot of honey. I was experimenting with some of it to produce mead. I mixed a bit juice from serves (fruits from the service tree) and it wasn't too sweat as it is in my taste if only honey is used.

But who wants to drink mead (which tastes best if not cooled) when suffering from a heat wave? So we made icecream:

4 yolks

80 gramm honey

250 milli litre Chattius mead special ;)

350 milli litre milk

If you use pure mead, it probably tastes better if you mix in some fruit liqueur.

Do you dole these out to your children in highly controlled portions under lock, key and security camera?

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New Frozen desserts tha I have made or tasted.

Cucumber and Gin Frozen yoghurt. The taste of the gin disappeared a bit, but you got a faint trace of juniper, it was made in the popsicles that gogo recommended a while ago. It was smooth, creamy, and fresh, and it froze ice cold (everyone in the kitchen got brainfreeze).

Pumpkin pie Ice cream. We have a main course of Springbok loin(venison) that is served with the spiced pumpkin pie. There are lots of offcuts, so to not waste it I turned it into an ice cream. Very creamy and flavourful, but a bit on the heavy side. Spices comes through wonderfully!

Almond Nougatine. Toasted the raw almonds. Made a basic Nougat. Make an Italian meringue and add chunks of the nougat while whisking in the kitchen aid, once it is mixed well, add the chopped almonds, and fold in whipped cream. Let set overnight in freezer, next day cover with rice paper.

Nectarine sorbet. Only took the stone out, blended it until smooth with a bit of icing sugar and glucose. Delicious nectarine flavour!

And Back at La Residence, I went to help iut with the Dinners club wine maker of the year awards. 151pax, canapes, starter, mains, desserts (coconut panna cotta, mulberry compote, mulberry macaroon, salted caramel and avocado sorbet. The sorbet was a wonderful green colour, and she (the pastry chef) did not use any colouring.). She blended the ripe avos with coconut milk, and added a sugar syrup. The flavour was good, but it already started to form a syrup in the container and I said it will be icy the next day. Told her she does not need to add sugar syrup, instead just blend icing sugar and glucose in with the rest of the ingredients. Msgd one of the other chefs there today asking about the texture today, replied it has become icy...

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

So I am starting at a new job soon... I will be in charge off the cold section and the pastry section. the job that they offered me will be more pressure, but less everyday stress(hope it makes sense...?)

I know 2 of the 3 main (bighead, but they they are not big headed, just meaning that they make the decisions) chefs, and they said they think I can help them get on the top 10 restaurants in South Africa... WOW! but tI know one of the first things that I do, will be going over the recipes, and adjusting the sugar contents...

We are also going to be serving ice creams, sorbets, and frozen yoghurts on the menu... so my offer still stands. if you want to know about a flavour, let me know on the topic and I can try and make it, and I will post how it came out,

Delta!

• Like! 1

Cucumber and Gin Frozen yoghurt. The taste of the gin disappeared a bit, but you got a faint trace of juniper, it was made in the popsicles that gogo recommended a while ago. It was smooth, creamy, and fresh, and it froze ice cold (everyone in the kitchen got brainfreeze).

Pumpkin pie Ice cream. We have a main course of Springbok loin(venison) that is served with the spiced pumpkin pie. There are lots of offcuts, so to not waste it I turned it into an ice cream. Very creamy and flavourful, but a bit on the heavy side. Spices comes through wonderfully!

Almond Nougatine. Toasted the raw almonds. Made a basic Nougat. Make an Italian meringue and add chunks of the nougat while whisking in the kitchen aid, once it is mixed well, add the chopped almonds, and fold in whipped cream. Let set overnight in freezer, next day cover with rice paper.

Nectarine sorbet. Only took the stone out, blended it until smooth with a bit of icing sugar and glucose. Delicious nectarine flavour!

And Back at La Residence, I went to help iut with the Dinners club wine maker of the year awards. 151pax, canapes, starter, mains, desserts (coconut panna cotta, mulberry compote, mulberry macaroon, salted caramel and avocado sorbet. The sorbet was a wonderful green colour, and she (the pastry chef) did not use any colouring.). She blended the ripe avos with coconut milk, and added a sugar syrup. The flavour was good, but it already started to form a syrup in the container and I said it will be icy the next day. Told her she does not need to add sugar syrup, instead just blend icing sugar and glucose in with the rest of the ingredients. Msgd one of the other chefs there today asking about the texture today, replied it has become icy...

Delta!

You actually made popsicles for the restaurant to eat? that's wonderful! I'd love for a resto to offer me gourmet popsicles somewhere here as a fun, delightful sweet.

And the flavors you are using are very on point and exciting

gogo

Delta!

You actually made popsicles for the restaurant to eat? that's wonderful! I'd love for a resto to offer me gourmet popsicles somewhere here as a fun, delightful sweet.

And the flavors you are using are very on point and exciting

gogo

Yes I did make popsicles, and they came out very well. just had to find the right size mould.

next experiment! here I come!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

back on Frozen Happiness!

I made a beer ice cream today. used half beer half cream, and left out a bit of sugar. I've only tasted the warm base, and it had a pleasing hops/malt/beer taste, without the bitter and gassy after taste.

Christmas Pudding ice cream, used all the left over christmas pudding and christmas cake, blended it into a less sweetened ice cream base, and it came out deliciously, with bits of fruit, nits and a faint spicey flavour.

Roasted pineapple sorbet. roasted the pineapple with a bit of sugar till almost start burning, blend and add a bit of glucose, put it in the ice cream machine, delicious tart pineapple but sweetness coming through as well.

Cognac ice cream. chef originally wanted eggnog ice ceam, but It tastes more like just cognac, so that is what I named it.

Estate plum & Chestnut. we had a jar of chestnut paste, and a crate of plums that had to be used... so I was eating a plum and the chef told me to use the chestnut paste, because he opened it for christmas, only used a teaspoon, and it won't last much longer... so I tasted the paste with the plum, it was tasty and quickly made the sorbet...

Beetroot & honeycomb ice cream. used some beetroot puree with the ice cream base and replaced some sugar with honey comb that melted in, and then in the last few minutes of churning I added chunks of the honeycomb to the machine. We served that with the dessert for Diners Club Junior Wine Maker of the Year Awards.

watermelon & Rosé, Just used watermelon juice/puree with the seeds removed, with wine and a bit if sugar, quite refreshing but difficult to scoop...

Delta!

• Like! 1

Beer ice cream...

I know only ice based on Children beer. 1931 beer was considered as very healthy and nutrious for young kids and pregnant women in germany. Of cause the yeast was added at freezing point so no alcohol was created for the children beer. The yeast is the base for all the B-vitamins in the 'beer'.

Karamalz, Vitamalz, Malta, malt beer (?)

• Like! 1

back on Frozen Happiness!

I made a beer ice cream today. used half beer half cream, and left out a bit of sugar. I've only tasted the warm base, and it had a pleasing hops/malt/beer taste, without the bitter and gassy after taste.

Christmas Pudding ice cream, used all the left over christmas pudding and christmas cake, blended it into a less sweetened ice cream base, and it came out deliciously, with bits of fruit, nits and a faint spicey flavour.

Roasted pineapple sorbet. roasted the pineapple with a bit of sugar till almost start burning, blend and add a bit of glucose, put it in the ice cream machine, delicious tart pineapple but sweetness coming through as well.

Cognac ice cream. chef originally wanted eggnog ice ceam, but It tastes more like just cognac, so that is what I named it.

Estate plum & Chestnut. we had a jar of chestnut paste, and a crate of plums that had to be used... so I was eating a plum and the chef told me to use the chestnut paste, because he opened it for christmas, only used a teaspoon, and it won't last much longer... so I tasted the paste with the plum, it was tasty and quickly made the sorbet...

Beetroot & honeycomb ice cream. used some beetroot puree with the ice cream base and replaced some sugar with honey comb that melted in, and then in the last few minutes of churning I added chunks of the honeycomb to the machine. We served that with the dessert for Diners Club Junior Wine Maker of the Year Awards.

watermelon & Rosé, Just used watermelon juice/puree with the seeds removed, with wine and a bit if sugar, quite refreshing but difficult to scoop...

Delta!

I just cant get over reading this list... its an oustanding level of creaetivity... I mean... does your restaurant every day have to change printed menus to keep up with this, use a blackboard, or just verbally told that there will wild new flavors today?

Genius and creative

gogo

Beer ice cream...

I know only ice based on Children beer. 1931 beer was considered as very healthy and nutrious for young kids and pregnant women in germany. Of cause the yeast was added at freezing point so no alcohol was created for the children beer. The yeast is the base for all the B-vitamins in the 'beer'.

Karamalz, Vitamalz, Malta, malt beer (?)

Ahhh.. childrens beer... alas...I got stuck with skim milk...oh, the cruelty...

:oooo:

gogo