Frozen happiness!

• 4 months later...

made some new flavours of frozen desserts.

Ice cream:

Strawberry swirl(made vanilla and when we scooped it out we stirred in some strawberry puree)

blueberry swirl(just used the plain ice cream base and swirled in blueberries)

Coffee and Kahlua

Banana

Sorbet:

Citrus (used a combination of lemon, orange, lime and ruby grapefruit, mostly orange and lemon though)

guava and cantaloupe(winter melon/sweet melon)

Frozen yoghurt:

Banana frozen yoghurt(added a shot of banana liquer/butlers)

Delta!

Late pear harvest and doing a pear pie. Rest of pears poached in sugar water, filled with vanilla ice and served with choco cream. Not the real Birne Helene (german for pear Helene, french poire belle Helene) but quickly made and tasting very good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poire_belle_H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne

Do you do this at your restaurant too?

The original recipe would be with caramelized voiolets .... too much work for kids who don't want to wait :)

birnehelenegallerie.jpg

Late pear harvest and doing a pear pie. Rest of pears poached in sugar water, filled with vanilla ice and served with choco cream. Not the real Birne Helene (german for pear Helene, french poire belle Helene) but quickly made and tasting very good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poire_belle_H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne

Do you do this at your restaurant too?

The original recipe would be with caramelized voiolets .... too much work for kids who don't want to wait :)

Nope, we do more deconstructed classical desserts. Take the most basic components and/or flavours and rebuild it up to look completely different. and maybe add a twist...

but it looks beautiful!

Delta!

More flavors for the sweet palate, I needed this boost, my coffee's out this morning :oooo:

And guess what guys, with all the red velvet buzz going on this last summer... the latest ice cream has made it's appearance just down the street for me, I was waiting avidly and finally, the day has come... dom dom dom dom ...

993469_Enlarged_1.jpeg

The frozen batter inside is just amazing, though if I were to critique, a tad on the sweet side.

Still, a delicious and long-awaited for treat.

:)

gogo

Prefer them selfmade (few posts above), but our oldest was happy to find this at a store not far from her students home:

14233_2012-09-16-10-13-07.jpg

roasted apples are just the taste and smell of pre-x-mas :)

More flavors for the sweet palate, I needed this boost, my coffee's out this morning :oooo:

And guess what guys, with all the red velvet buzz going on this last summer... the latest ice cream has made it's appearance just down the street for me, I was waiting avidly and finally, the day has come... dom dom dom dom ...

993469_Enlarged_1.jpeg

The frozen batter inside is just amazing, though if I were to critique, a tad on the sweet side.

Still, a delicious and long-awaited for treat.

gogo

Looks interesting gogo, but in my honest opinion, I think the red velvet thing is enough now... people can get on the new food craze. but kuddos to ben & jerry's for being on the bandwagon. still want to taste their ice cream, I've heard so much about it.

Delta!

Shakespeare Ice, I mean medlar ice is really tasty

Now will he sit under a medlar tree,

And wish his mistress were that kind of fruit

As maids call medlars, when they laugh alone.

O Romeo, that she were, O that she were

An open-arse and thou a pop'rin pear!

Medlars are very rare nowadays at markets. Luckily we have 2 half wild trees. Cultivated variants have no thorns on branches, while wild ones have. I put a mix of cultivated and wild twigs on a wild root trunk 15 years back. Nightfrosts last nights make the fruits sweet, so it is time to harvest.

Our recipe is close to this one:

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-medlar-gelato

If you don't know what a medlar fruit is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mespilus_germanica

450px-Medlar_pome_amoung_leaves.jpg

• 3 months later...

some new flavours of gelato's:

Ice creams:

Caramel Chocolate

Coffee

Honey and almond

Blueberry

Chocolate and amarula

Sorbets:

Fig and macaroon

coconut(was truly delicious)

pineapple, white chocolate and coconut

pineapple, kiwi and basil

Strawberries and whipped cream(made strawberry sorbet and folded some whipped cream through once it was done churning)

Frozen yoghurt:

mango and orange

passion fruit and pineapple

We have a new toy in the kitchen. it is called a PacoJet, and is supposed to make the fastest and smoothest Ice cream. sorbets and frozen yoghurts in a few seconds, HOWEVER, the mixture must already be frozen sollid, and after blitzing it up, you have to freeze it again, because it is too soft to scoop... but I still like it.

http://www.pacojet.com/en/index.php

Delta!

• Like! 1

Your flavors always grab me

The Paccojet ...lol haven't seen that on Top Chef yet...better even than LIquid NItrogen? Do you guys have that too in resto?

gogo

it is a different concept to using Liquid nitrogen. with the nitrogen, your mixture can still be liquid that you put in a strong beater(like a kitchen aid) and it freezes when you add the nitrogen, while the mixing makes smaller ice crystals and adds the overrun(air).

with the PacoJet, the mixture freezes in metal canisters till frozen solid, and it is then blitzed with a blade at an incredible speed to make the ice crystals small and add overrun(air).

Delta!

• Like! 1

Paco jet is safer?

Is it actually possible for non restaurant users to purchase liquid nitrogen legally?

gogo

The Pacojet has to be safer than the liquid nitrogen, because the blades aren't big or extremely sharp(just sharp enough to cut through the frozen mixture), it isn't attached to the machine, it clips/clings on with a magnet and the machine will only start once every component is in the correct place as a safety measure.

I'm sure you can buy liquid nitrogen, we got it once, but the Junior Sous chef went out to go and buy it, and came back with a small little bit, just enough for what he needed.

Delta!

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to just say that Delta does make the Best Ice-cream ever if you follow his recipes and advice you cant go wrong, he has the talent to make anything taste good and the creativity to try new flavours and combinations so if anyone has any combos or recipes you should post and let him experiment with them Im looking forward to him trying them NomNom :wow:

warwolf...

• 3 months later...

Some new ice cream flavours of ice creams, sorbets and frozen yoghurts.

Carrot cake ice cream(if you focus on taste, it taste just like carrot cake)

Sweetcorn ice cream(infused the cream with the corn stalks after cutting the kernels off) Chef didn't like the texture so we didn't use it for anything

Pumpkin ice cream

roasted banana sorbet(oven roasted till the bananas starting going brown, pureed and added a bit of sugar)served it with the carrot cake ice cream on the carrot cake dessert

passion fruit frozen yoghurt

and we also made a cream cheese snow that we serve with the carrot cake dessert(mix cream cheese, sugar, cream, and a bit of lemon juice and freeze)

Delta!

• 1 month later...

A new flavour of ice cream, burnt almond ice cream, toasted the raw almonds in the oven till they just started burning and develop a little bit of a bitterness in the skin, blended it to just break the big pieces and mixed it into the ice cream base, we use the pacojet for it, so it becomes very smooth after being blitzed it has a rich creamy slightly bitter and delicious nutty taste.

Lemon ice cream that we serve with a dessert. Ludwig (the new pastry chef) made it the first time and wrote down the recipe, a well flavoured ice cream.

Yesterday I made an apricot sorbet for Chef to try with a dessert. I used dried apricots and rehydrated them with lemon juice, orange juice, tangerine juice, grapefruit juice and water, added some vanilla sticks for flavour, and let it simmer over medium heat for about 30min, blended everything together with a little bit of sugar syrup, and transfered it to the churner, the texture came out wonderfully. And Chef like the taste, texture and thought it would well with the other components. Mosbolletjie bread french toast, malva pudding, milktart custard very South African.

When Ludwig makes sorbets he adds egg whites, it makes the sorbet a little bit smoother, but I'm not to big a fan off using raw egg whites...

Delta!

• Like! 1

Wonder what you would make with Reneklodes, reineclaude, greengages or however they are called at your place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greengage

We have 3 different types and the early variant is ripe now. My normal sorbet is like:

800g greengages

inner part of 2 vanilla sticks

200ml sparkling wine

200g sugar

2 scales from citrons filed

I use sparkling wine a lot for sorbets. We allways buy it for parties and none of use drinks it normally. So older bottles are used for cooking.

• Like! 1

A new flavour of ice cream, burnt almond ice cream, toasted the raw almonds in the oven till they just started burning and develop a little bit of a bitterness in the skin, blended it to just break the big pieces and mixed it into the ice cream base, we use the pacojet for it, so it becomes very smooth after being blitzed it has a rich creamy slightly bitter and delicious nutty taste.

Lemon ice cream that we serve with a dessert. Ludwig (the new pastry chef) made it the first time and wrote down the recipe, a well flavoured ice cream.

Yesterday I made an apricot sorbet for Chef to try with a dessert. I used dried apricots and rehydrated them with lemon juice, orange juice, tangerine juice, grapefruit juice and water, added some vanilla sticks for flavour, and let it simmer over medium heat for about 30min, blended everything together with a little bit of sugar syrup, and transfered it to the churner, the texture came out wonderfully. And Chef like the taste, texture and thought it would well with the other components. Mosbolletjie bread french toast, malva pudding, milktart custard very South African.

When Ludwig makes sorbets he adds egg whites, it makes the sorbet a little bit smoother, but I'm not to big a fan off using raw egg whites...

Delta!

You're so lucky Theuns, you have a chef/boss who lets you be a mad scientist and try new recipes in his restaurant... what grace!

304034_1269613868_submedium.jpg

gogo

• 1 month later...

New Ice cream flavours.

Roasted marshmallow ice cream that Ludwig made. It is really delicious and so nice and soft, everyone who tries it can imagine themselves sitting around a campfire roastin marshmallows and enjoying the company. They just start smilling and become instantly happy ?!

And another flavour that I made yesterday, just because we had to do something with the ice cream base. Pecan nut, dates and franjelico. Originally I wanted to use brandy instead of franjelico but whe didn't have any so I went with a nut flavoured liquer, simmered the chopped dates with a cup of franjelico, added that to the base along with the chopped nuts and another cup and a half of liquer, and straight into the churner... So playful and wondertastic on the palate... Yum yum yum. There is a big risk of the staff eating it all before the guests have a chance to order any....

Rum and Raisin, made with real rum(Ludwig macerated the raisins in the rum for 2 days) I then asked if I can churn it when he was off, and OH MY WORD!, soooo entrancing and intoxicating 'hic'... Is def one of my favourites.

Salted caramel ice cream, that we serve with the creme brulee dessert. Take the caramel to almost burning point, and then add the warm milk/cream to it then add that to the eggs. And then we add maldon salt before churning.

Creme fraiche ice cream that is to be served with a strawberry dessert. The ice cream is very good tasting, and I can imagine it going with strawberries and meringue

And then chef wants to have a wheat ice cream to go with malt/barley malt, rye, hazelnut, and the other components are still in the thought process... I might not be here to see the finished dessert, but I will come and visit to see/taste it as sure as my name is Theuns.

Still having crazy fun when it comes to ice cream, sorbet, frozen yoghurt and parfaits.

Delta!

• Like! 1

New Ice cream flavours.

Roasted marshmallow ice cream that Ludwig made. It is really delicious and so nice and soft, everyone who tries it can imagine themselves sitting around a campfire roastin marshmallows and enjoying the company. They just start smilling and become instantly happy !

Your writing is so good Delta... sometimes I find it so hard to believe that English is not your first language. I can see your cook book and tv series coming out soon, you've got such a great gift for natrually pacing your story telling...for a brief moment, you had taken me back to my scout days where we did, indeed, roast marshmallows.

I'd be privilleged to taste such a thing you created.

gogo

New Ice cream flavours.

Roasted marshmallow ice cream that Ludwig made. It is really delicious and so nice and soft, everyone who tries it can imagine themselves sitting around a campfire roastin marshmallows and enjoying the company. They just start smilling and become instantly happy !

Your writing is so good Delta... sometimes I find it so hard to believe that English is not your first language. I can see your cook book and tv series coming out soon, you've got such a great gift for natrually pacing your story telling...for a brief moment, you had taken me back to my scout days where we did, indeed, roast marshmallows.

I'd be privilleged to taste such a thing you created.

gogo

Thank you gogo, but keep in mind that I did go to an English High school, and that I read mostly English books... I think I'll need a few more years experience before I have a cookbook and show, but thanx for all the faith you have.

Delta!

• 1 month later...

New flavours of Ice cream that I have tasted, but didn't make myself.

Carrot, pistachio and cherry Ice cream, (we have flavour of the week at La residence, and last week was carrot. I made a carrot pie and served it with the carrot ice cream that was made by someone else the day before)

Preserved ginger sorbet, very refreshing and something that I would like to make next time, add some gelatin as a stabilizer...

Delta!

• Like! 1