Frozen happiness!

We made 2 new flavours at the restaurant.

White chocolate sorbet, I don't usually like white chocolate (couverture chocolate is very good though) but the white chocolate sorbet was delicious. we served it with a "chocolate compilation" on Bastille say.

the other flavour is Speculoos Ice cream, and it is just too good, my knees starts shaking and I get light headed every time I taste it. :Just_Cuz_21: One of the waiters said eating that is better than jumping in bed with her boyfriend... shame poor guy! we serve it with the Apple tarts for dessert.

Compelling stuff that Speculoos flavor! I don't think we have a matching flavor profile for that here in North America, do we?

:)

gogo

...And , now this idea has come to me after seeing Chattiu's comments about chilli chocolate...

I think the day has dawned for a chilli chocolate ice cream!

:chef:

gogo

I've finally made the chilli chocolate ice cream, (after procrastinating making it at home for months, my headchef said I can make it at the restaurant with some left over chocolate that we used for a function, so I took chilli and made it this evening. First she freaked, cause she didn't mean I could make it now already, but once she tasted it she forgot all about her anger, and she almost devoured all of it...mmmm the persuasive power of ice cream :twitch:)

I used:

1L cream

200g chocolate

1 1/2 hands dried chilli

160g sugar

3 whole eggs

1tot brandy

Add the cream, sugar, chilli and chocolate to a pot and slowly bring to boiling point. Once it is boiling, temper it into the eggs. contact cover and leave in the fridge to cool, or stir it in an ice bath to cool down faster. once cold, churn it in an ice cream machine, and freeze once it is ready...

It is very delicious, the chocolate makes it smooth, rich and extra creamy, before a slight bite from the chilli kicks in.

sorry for taking too long with making it, but it was worth the wait for me.

Delta!

...And , now this idea has come to me after seeing Chattiu's comments about chilli chocolate...

I think the day has dawned for a chilli chocolate ice cream!

gogo

I've finally made the chilli chocolate ice cream, (after procrastinating making it at home for months, my headchef said I can make it at the restaurant with some left over chocolate that we used for a function, so I took chilli and made it this evening. First she freaked, cause she didn't mean I could make it now already, but once she tasted it she forgot all about her anger, and she almost devoured all of it...mmmm the persuasive power of ice cream :twitch:)

I used:

1L cream

200g chocolate

1 1/2 hands dried chilli

160g sugar

3 whole eggs

1tot brandy

Add the cream, sugar, chilli and chocolate to a pot and slowly bring to boiling point. Once it is boiling, temper it into the eggs. contact cover and leave in the fridge to cool, or stir it in an ice bath to cool down faster. once cold, churn it in an ice cream machine, and freeze once it is ready...

It is very delicious, the chocolate makes it smooth, rich and extra creamy, before a slight bite from the chilli kicks in.

sorry for taking too long with making it, but it was worth the wait for me.

Delta!

What a great read Theuns! I'm glad the masterpiece has finally appeared. The brandy is an interesting idea, what made you think of that with the chilli?

gogo

What a great read Theuns! I'm glad the masterpiece has finally appeared. The brandy is an interesting idea, what made you think of that with the chilli?

gogo

The chocolate would've made the ice cream freeze rock solid, and I didn't want to make the ice cream too sweet by adding more sugar/honey/glucose, so brandy was readily available.

I haven't seen the mixture after putting it in the freezer, I'll have to check the consistency later

Delta!

Glad you like the CC - Chili-Chocolade.

ALcohol is one way to make a 'softer' ice/sorbet. Destillating some self made fruit-wine is what our family normally did. So the 'alcohol' supports the taste of the used fruits. Or just buying the french black currant liqueur if we want a mre red colour on some ice - like rhubarb.

We made 2 new flavours at the restaurant.

White chocolate sorbet, I don't usually like white chocolate (couverture chocolate is very good though) but the white chocolate sorbet was delicious. we served it with a "chocolate compilation" on Bastille say.

the other flavour is Speculoos Ice cream, and it is just too good, my knees starts shaking and I get light headed every time I taste it. :Just_Cuz_21: One of the waiters said eating that is better than jumping in bed with her boyfriend... shame poor guy! we serve it with the Apple tarts for dessert.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is/are speculoos please ? (sounds like some one dropped thier glasses down the toilet !)

Steve.

HAHAHAHA, it has nothing to do with eyesight or bathrooms!

here is the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculaas

We use the paste form, 170g to 1litre of cream. Although it is quite expensive, costing R 50-00 for a 350g bottle, and we can only order it from our "specialty foods suppliers", I have never seen the cookies/biscuits in South African supermarkets.

Delta!

Those biscuits look too nice to eat !

What is the strangest ice you ever ate?

Mine is surely Sauerkraut-Eis. It was fine cut Sauerkraut, honey, caraway, yolks, cream, ... It was served ice-cold together with a hot and spicy Bratwurst fresh from the grill. Even it sounds strange to even think of Sauerkraut-Ice - the mix of sweet and sour and hot and cold made it a good experience.

Used to eat Bratwurst with Sauerkraut from time to time, I tried the Sauerkraut-Eis with Bratwurst Menu some month ago at the restaurant of a former classmate. Nice sour/sweet and hot/cold contrasts, but it is hard to do yourself. The timing of serving the ice and Bratwurst at fitting temperature needs a lot of training or more than one preparing person.

What is the strangest ice you ever ate?

Mine is surely Sauerkraut-Eis. It was fine cut Sauerkraut, honey, caraway, yolks, cream, ... It was served ice-cold together with a hot and spicy Bratwurst fresh from the grill. Even it sounds strange to even think of Sauerkraut-Ice - the mix of sweet and sour and hot and cold made it a good experience.

Used to eat Bratwurst with Sauerkraut from time to time, I tried the Sauerkraut-Eis with Bratwurst Menu some month ago at the restaurant of a former classmate. Nice sour/sweet and hot/cold contrasts, but it is hard to do yourself. The timing of serving the ice and Bratwurst at fitting temperature needs a lot of training or more than one preparing person.

That's interseting. I have been knowing for a while now about this contemporary (again) resurgence of mixing salty and sweet. All the Top chef show I'm watching, specially with deserts seem to throw bacon on top of ice cream as often as they can! :lol:

bacon-ice-cream.jpg

gogo

p.s. I wouldn't mind a couple of these served during happy hour ^^

bacon-ice-cream-balls-ice-cream-bacon-demotivational-poster-1272201629.jpg

That's interseting. I have been knowing for a while now about this contemporary (again) resurgence of mixing salty and sweet. All the Top chef show I'm watching, specially with deserts seem to throw bacon on top of ice cream as often as they can! :lol:

bacon-ice-cream.jpg

gogo

p.s. I wouldn't mind a couple of these served during happy hour ^^

bacon-ice-cream-balls-ice-cream-bacon-demotivational-poster-1272201629.jpg

As for as I know it was Heston Blumenthal and the Fat Duck who started the craze for bacon and Ice cream together, with his bacon and egg ice cream, using more eggs than normal,he tempered the warm cream into the eggs and let some of it curdle/scramble on purpose, and added crispy bacon bits in the last minute of churning the ice cream.

I hope you've saved some of that Amarula ice cream for me, I'm a fan of the liqueur, maybe because of the elephants on the bottle?

gogo

I'm making some more almond and Amarula Ice cream, my cousin works at Distell, the company who makes Amarula, and she brought me a bottle a while ago... and well, what better way to have it, than in ice cream!

Delta!

• 3 weeks later...

For energy saving we build a wood-fired oven integrated into a staircase. See the post 21? in following thread:

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18412-what-is-the-latest-big-real-life-project-you-started

I wrote how I used the oven to do Chilli/Chocolade/Cherry pralines. If you add alcohol and yolk you can make softer, ice like pralines, used to be cooled in the refridgerator.

• 2 months later...

First of all I LOVE ICE CREAM!

Secondly my favourite ice cream is Falooda flavour which I make myself from a custard base with rose syrup and bazil seeds. Falooda is traditionally a type of milkshake from the Middle East. YUM :heart:

First of all I LOVE ICE CREAM!

Secondly my favourite ice cream is Falooda flavour which I make myself from a custard base with rose syrup and bazil seeds. Falooda is traditionally a type of milkshake from the Middle East. YUM :heart:

Great post

I never even knew this word till you wrote it now. Course, I'm a greedy for delicious kind of guy, so hard to run off and search on the net. :

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falooda

Falooda or Faluda (Urdu: فالودہ) is a cold and sweet beverage with many ingredients very popular in South Asia. Traditionally it is made by mixing rose syrup with vermicelli, psyllium (ispaghol) or basil (sabza/takmaria) seeds, jelly pieces and tapioca pearls along with either milk, water or ice cream.[1]

Falooda is an adaptation of the non-liquid Persian dessert Faloodeh, made in Iran and Afghanistan, from which it adopted the name. This drink may have been brought to the Indian subcontinent during the Mughal period. The vermicelli used are often made from arrowroot rather than wheat. The rose syrup may be substituted with another flavoured base to produce kesar (saffron), mango, chocolate or fig flavor.

O3102010101520.jpg

Kind of reminds me of Bubble Tea, but with rosewater for a twist?

Guess what I'm gonna go hunt out and try today!

gogo

First night frosts, so sloes can be picked.

The shrub, with its savage thorns, is traditional in Northern Europe and Britain in making a hedge proof against cattle. The fruit is similar to a small damson or plum, suitable for preserves, but rather tart and astringent for eating, unless it is picked after the first few days of autumn frost. This effect can not be reproduced by freezing harvested sloes, but is the result of the plant withdrawing tannins from the sloes in freezing weather.

What we liked to eat before we got 5 kids, a no-alcohol job,... was meadowsweet-ice with Schlehenfeuer (sloe fire) mixed in. Recipe for meadowsweet-ice is in post 2 of this thread. Schlehenfeuer would be a liqueur made from sloes:

0.7 l Korn (Korn is cheapest here in germany. Can be replaced with vodka, or another clear spirit)

200 gramm rock candy (alternativ normal sugar) - needed to extract taste from fruits

200 gramm sloes

1 vanilla fruit

77073-big-schlehenfeuer.jpg

2-4 month of waiting and shaking once every week

205127-big-schlehenfeuer.jpg

In difference to english sloe gin, we do not try to remove the colour, we just pour all through a linnen canvas and use the fruit remains for marinating wild game meat, and rock candy pieces for hot winter drinks.

For the ice:

The meadowsweet-ice has to be near melting point, then some spoons of sloe-fire are mixed in and served right away.

Great contribution to this thread Chattius! Again, a drink/yum idea completely new to me. Never been a huge fan of gin, something about the smell (junipers?) that kind of gets to me, but your description pix bring a kind of artisan feel to it.

gogo

nice new treat Chattius! Again, a drink/yum idea completely new to me. Never been a huge fan of gin, something about the smell (junipers?) that kind of gets to me, but your description pix bring a kind of artisan feel to it.

gogo

At Delaire we are making a few new flavours of frozen desserts.

Ice creams:

Dark chocolate brownie

Rose Geranium

Amarula

Goats milk ice cream

Double Malt

organic ice cream base(they make a big base, and then add the flavouring as they need to churn it)

Sorbets/granita:

coconut and white chocolate sorbet

Strawberry Granita

Dark Chocolate and espresso granita

apple and Pernod

Frozen yoghurt:

Apple and fennel

Blueberry

Passion fruit

will post pictures in good food we serve at the restaurant soon, just need more photo's

Delta!

• 5 months later...

And some more flavours of frozen Dessert that we have recently made.

Ice cream:

Hazelnut Praline

Banana Bread

Spiced Chai Tea

Apple, Pear and vanilla

Toffee(served as an Ice cream sandwich)

Sorbets:

Ginger

Wild berries/mixed Berries

Apple and tree melon

Lemon Lime and vanilla, tried it with the Ginger sorbet. my mouth had a tiny orgasm... :Just_Cuz_21:

Prickly Pear and vanilla

Fig and Pineapple

Frozen Yoghurt:

Banana

mixed Berries

Mango, Melon and vanilla

Apple and Mango

Fig and Berries

It is sooooo much fun!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

Schot actually thinks he could be lactose intolerant, and my cousin is... he has to buy goat's milk... dunno why he can't just go to soya :blink:

That's a vast and delicious cornucopia of flavors Theuns, who's the lucky one who gets to choose flavors? I get that same mini-mouth orgasm from thai... just can never get enough of the green curry!

:dance:

gogo

That's a vast and delicious cornucopia of flavors Theuns, who's the lucky one who gets to choose flavors? I get that same mini-mouth orgasm from thai...

:dance:

gogo

Whoever takes it upon themselve to make the new batch of frozen dessert that we need to replenish. On the menu it just says "selection of frozen desserts: gelato, sorbet and frozen yoghurt". we can then make assorted flavours like and how we feel like making.

Delta!

Delta, are you using a Refractometer when doing your sorbets. I have one because of the honey of my bees. A former classmate who runs a restaurant use a refractometre for sorbets when he don't know the sugar contsins of certain fruits. Sloes for example are much sweeter whenharvested after nightfrosts.

http://zoebakes.com/2011/03/31/sorbet-101-a-trick-to-getting-a-smooth-sorbet-from-any-juice/

3473080534_65aa6ca1f3_o.jpg

Delta, are you using a Refractometer when doing your sorbets. I have one because of the honey of my bees. A former classmate who runs a restaurant use a refractometre for sorbets when he don't know the sugar contsins of certain fruits. Sloes for example are much sweeter whenharvested after nightfrosts.

http://zoebakes.com/2011/03/31/sorbet-101-a-trick-to-getting-a-smooth-sorbet-from-any-juice/

Nope, each of us in pastry makes their sorbet and frozen yoghurts different, but we all use the same Ice cream base. I usually puree the fruit, and depending on the type of fruit and the water content use between 500ml to 1l of sugar suryp and/or some glucose and 1 leaf gelatin per 1l of mixture as a stabilizer. Natasha (the Pastry Chef) usually blends the fruit with icing sugar and glucose, and maybe a little bit of liquid(juice/water/sugar syrup)

Delta!

• 3 weeks later...

Natasha made a new flavour of Ice cream last week that was delightfully playful on my palate! :tongue:

Toasted almond and amaretto Ice cream.

She used unshelled almonds and toasted them in the oven, the toasted skin gave a slight bitterness that finished very well after the nuttey-creamyness! it is served with the new Chocolate dessert. (I'll post pictures later in http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17833-good-food-we-serve-at-the-restaurant/ )

A hot chocolate fondant, chocolate crumble, chocolate and toffee sauce, chocolate 'wind' crumbled chocolate brownie, the Almond and Amaretto Ice cream with almond praline. the whole plate is pure happines! :drool:

Delta!