New install of Sacred 2 won't Patch

OK

I was having some trouble with some missing particle files, and a botched balance file. I decided that after a year and a half that it would not hurt to just re-install sacred for a fresh start.

I uninstall-ed Sacred 2 and then reinstalled from 1 of the 2 downloaded Gold packages I have purchased. After the first install I attempted to run the 2.02 - 2.40 INT patch. it aborted on the file check. I have had this happen before so I started over and re-ran the install, then tried the patch again..fail. :(

Well I have done a ton of stuff on this PC in a year including installing separate partitions with XP, XP 64, and of course my main OS Win7 64. So I decide to bite the bullet and wipe my PC clean. I just did my wifes laptop and the kids PC in the last month for performance issues , so what the heck. I have 2 X 500Gb drives so I copied everything I think I might want to keep to the second drive and do a fresh install onto a formated clean drive. did all the requisite updates, then decided it was time to sink or swim and install sacred 2 again. again the install finishes successful but the patch fails. I even activated the 2.02 before patch and still a fail. I can patch to 2.31 with the small patches, but 2.34 is the first to do a file check. failed

I don't understand why after all these installs that it won't patch now, after a half dozen re- installs on this and other PCs.

I have Antivirus off, UAC off. SecureRom went just fine. There has got to be something simple I am forgeting

Help

This is the "you have altered your files" check error right? And you're trying to install on a recently formatted drive with no chance of old registry entries?

Well, that may be a problem of the v2.40 patch. Where you downloaded it from? I remember that I had to download two different version of this patch from different sources, since the first one refused to work with Sacred 2 Gold (I mean en_UK one here). It seems like some packages that are named 2.00-2.40 are actually 2.12-2.40.

Thanks for all the replys. I will have to keep hunting for solution, I guess. Voluntarily taking a break from Sacred2 is different from having no choice, destiny or choice? I pick choice.

The Windows 7 install was clean from a formated disk. the Sacred 2 install files are from Nexway, and the patches I just used 2 weeks ago on my kids XP comp. That is what's frustrating.

the 2.31 to 2.40 patch gives the same error. so I don't think it is that. I have no problem with secure rom.

the reset tool specifically says don't use it on a FA install only Ice and Blood, so I don't see that as a fix.

I never had this problem on my previous installs. I will have to buy a new copy of Gold to get new install files. I didn't pay for the unlimited downloads option. So I made multi copies of the files. None of them work.

the reset tool specifically says don't use it on a FA install only Ice and Blood, so I don't see that as a fix.

I actually meant for instead of installing S2FA + Ice and Blood again.

So it was on a clean install of windows? Thats kinda odd. Was it on the same drive as your os? Some people had issues patching when sacred was installed in a separate location.

Was it on the same drive as your os? Some people had issues patching when sacred was installed in a separate location.

Actually, I was puzzled with that when I last time reinstalled Sacred 2. Personally, I don't ever want to install games to the same partition/drive where OS is.

And never had any troubles with it. (Though Sacred seems to have some strange niches, I give it that...) Had some troubles with patchin too, only thing was that I tried wrong patches. Just Might be that for Loco.

Edited by Stormwing

I wish it was as simple as a wrong file. They are the exact files I used to install on my kids PC 2 weeks ago. And 2 other installs last summer. it went flawless on a fresh install of XP.

The only thing I can think of is that my install files have become corrupted. Unless both the 2.40 INT and 2.31 to 2.34 patches are corrupted. Either way I am at a loss. I tried downloading the install files again, but Nexway says my download privilege expired a year ago.

I hate to go through another OS install for no good reason, but as long as I have nothing to lose I may try installing XP 64 and then try sacred again. Doesn't make sense since in installed on Win 7 just fine a year ago.

BTW it was on the C: Drive. Although my previous install was on a separate drive from the OS, which was no problem at the time.

I actually meant for instead of installing S2FA + Ice and Blood again.

So it was on a clean install of windows? Thats kinda odd. Was it on the same drive as your os? Some people had issues patching when sacred was installed in a separate location.

I actually did use the reset tool. It told me I was missing soundhq4.zip and blood1.particle (I think). That was what prompted my to try reinstalling Sacred2 to begin with.

Is there any chance your video card could be tripping you up? I recall you ran into some troubles a long time ago which makes me wonder if the whole physx thing could be creating some trouble. Have you tried trying to troubleshoot with the physx driver in mind? Maybe update & disable it? Also... I just read that Tornadox, (or was it Powerpyx?), recommends to not start up Sacred 2 before installing patch 2.02 - 2.40. that could be worth a try on a fresh Sacred 2 install. I know I've felt this as well but for myself I have yet to run into an install problem which I have a feeling is because I have an ATI. ATI doesn't get the added physx graphics and so not vulnerable to it's poorly implemented code.

EDIT:

2.40 Patch note; nVidia®-PhysX TM Technology Implemented.

I've read about patches having troubles because of PhysX many times. Usually, it is recommended to delete PhysX manually after Sacred 2 uninstall and then install the version that goes with Sacred 2. Some people solved their patching problems this way. Sometimes it's required to manually clean the registry before installing the game.

After many failed attempts, I re-formatted again and installed XP 64 from a fresh disk. Of the 3 copies of sacred 2 install files I have spread across my home network, I found 1 that would install. The other 2 gave me errors on 1 of the speech.zip files. Then I had to use all the small patches to get to 2.40. As non of my 2.40 would extract without an error. None of these error were being reported on Win 7. So I guess there is some good points to XP. Finally!

So I think I have a multiple files that got corrupted. So the good news is, I got Ice and Blood back up late last night. The bad news is I reverted 10 years in technology to Windows XP 64. I am gonna miss my Windows 7 64. XP 64 is fast and clean, but just doesn't look and feel like windows 7.

I will tread lightly until I can get a new set of set-up files and patches. Then probably try to go back to Win 7. Maybe a nice shiny new 240 GB SSD will come for my birthday and spring board me back into a new OS install again.

Well, its good to hear that you got everything working again. Unfortunate that the copies you have are somewhat corrupted though.

And so weird that windows 7 wasn't giving me the feedback I needed to realize what my problem was. I am going to trash the set-up files I have and get some new ones downloaded and archived onto my back-up HD. Then maybe I can get back to Win7.

Tough love with Sacred 2 eh loco. Nice to read you found a solution. I can relate to what you say about missing your Win 7 64. I must admit I've gotten very comfortable with it myself. I'm often using XP on my spare pc and boy does Win 7 ever make XP look old. Bluetooth is especially convenient in Win 7.

If you're looking to tinker later sometime in Win 7 you could try installing NVIDIA PhysX System Software (8.09.04) or (9.10.0129) directly after installing a fresh copy of Fallen Angel and then try installing the 2.40 patch. I think the physx software install was an important step for some and that it had to be the old version rather than current version. I think the whole physx thing might be somewhat messed up due to the transfer of ownership from AGEIA to NVIDEA which I think happened during Fallen Angel's production. Originally it was an AGEIA driver that was recommended and later became Nvidea. Very confusing, heh.