Sacred 2 in Lore

Wolfie - not only the ears, but also the odd taste in eye makeup. Mind you, that would mean the Seraphim is also related!

Well... If the Sacred 1 book, the Book of the Seraphim, is to be believed, then yes. The book is quoted here:

Memorandum from Uris'N TachYon concerning the use of cloned warriors: The first test run in the defense matrix GT-AS 525 went entirely satisfactory. The DNA morphing of Dragon Battle Lizards with female Elifa slaves produced effective fighting amazons in a very short time. These warriors can be used in combat against the three-dimensional demonic giant Worgarians as a replenishable battlefield resource.

Fiber-reinforced bone constructions and organic reflex amplifiers permit efficient close combat techniques to be employed. Fitted with transmitters to send inquiries from geostationary transfer satellites, these warriors prove to be very efficient terminators, since they are able to call energy bundles from orbit by vocal command, or energized protective shields.

The plans exist to carry out training routines to turn these clone fighters into efficient pilots for our space attack forces. The spacecraft of the Paladin Class seem to me to be a suitable basis for this.

Of course, this puts the kibosh on the concept that the Seraphim were created by High Elves...

Somehow, I don't think that's eye makeup on the Seraphim - that's more a question of biology than war paint...

So basically, it would seem that the Seraphim are the product of a genetic manipulation of Dragon and Elf genes with a side dose of Wolverine style bone augmentation. I suppose it's possible... If you remember, that dragon you help in Drakenden had the major hots for that dragonslayer - who later reports the dragon can shapeshift himself into a human form...

Edited by wolfie2kX

Somehow, I don't think that's eye makeup on the Seraphim - that's more a question of biology than war paint...

That is what I always assumed, kind of like racoons.

I'm not sure how "canon" the Book of the Seraphim is, especially since it's an easter egg. According to lore the Seraphim sprang from the blood of the goddess Sophia who sacrificed herself against the demon Worganar during the War of the Gods. The manual also specifies that Seraphims appear to be akin to Dragons (which ties in with Book of the Seraphim) probably indicating a relationship between the gods and the dragons.

As far as the red links on Books go, those are the books that my character has in her possession. I already made the links so I only need to click on them and add the article. I'm just taking it slowly with adding them. I know where wiki frenzy can lead to.

Edited by Fogeltje

I know where wiki frenzy can lead to.

lol. so true. Good stuff. :)

P.s.

I have a feeling that Dryad's Become Wood Elves and High Elves become Dark Elves. Just a feeling though.

Schot - that's an interesting idea. I had sort of assumed that the Dark Elves formed out of the followers of the Inquisition, and the Wood Elves perhaps out of the nobility who opposed them. Your idea makes a bit more sense, though. Why would city loving Elves return to the forests to become Wood Elves?

Oh I just figured that since Dryad's and Wood Elves are both tree huggers, (forest dwellers and all that), from different time periods that they might be related. It's all in the tree hugging eh. ^^

I'm just taking it slowly with adding them. I know where wiki frenzy can lead to.

LOL...wiki Frenzy...

So true!

Only someone who's done wiki's "gets" that.

:4rofl:

gogo

I help out on a wiki dedicated to public transport in the Netherlands (don't ask) and document old buslines as I have old timetables and stuff...I once went into overdrive and went absolutely banana's after that. Since then I ration my time I spend on editing wiki's :)

I'm not sure how "canon" the Book of the Seraphim is, especially since it's an easter egg. According to lore the Seraphim sprang from the blood of the goddess Sophia who sacrificed herself against the demon Worganar during the War of the Gods. The manual also specifies that Seraphims appear to be akin to Dragons (which ties in with Book of the Seraphim) probably indicating a relationship between the gods and the dragons.

As far as the red links on Books go, those are the books that my character has in her possession. I already made the links so I only need to click on them and add the article. I'm just taking it slowly with adding them. I know where wiki frenzy can lead to.

I can kinda see some skepticism. But given what you just posted from the manual - and what was posted in the Book - everything fits.

From the book: "These warriors can be used in combat against the three-dimensional demonic giant Worgarians as a replenishable battlefield resource."

From the manual: "According to lore the Seraphim sprang from the blood of the goddess Sophia who sacrificed herself against the demon Worganar during the War of the Gods."

Emphasis added to highlight the key words that are just too conveniently similar to be dismissed as merely an easter egg. Remember, language changes over time - and given that by the Sacred 1 era, a lot of time had passed. Religion on Ancaria certainly changed considerably. Originally, there was the Creator - who abandoned Ancaria until it could find some semblance of balance - and never returned. At some point, that was replaced by the pantheon of godlings we see in Sacred 2. And by the era of Sacred 1, we don't see much of anything - certainly nothing of the 6 gods of Sacred 2.

I have a theory... Mind you, it's only a theory. The people that Uris'N TachYon belonged to weren't a very nice lot. Possibly, given the language of the memo, interplanetary weapons dealers who travel from world to world developing weapons systems and offering them to whoever could afford their services. At least, that's the impression I get from reading the Book of the Seraphim.

Furthermore, back when Sacred 2 was first released some of the previews of the game that can still be found on line mention that the world of Ancaria came into being because the Seraphim stole the Creator's energies and used said energy to create Ancaria. When the creator found out about it, he wasn't too pleased - so he banished all of the Seraphim to Ancaria to sort things out. I'm guessing that is where the game title "Fallen Angel" came from.

Of course, none of this ever seemed to make it into the final game. So ultimately, it's being canon is suspect, but given I've seen the same text on multiple sites, I'm thinking this probably came from Ascaron as a press release. So... I'm thinking there may be at least something to it as far as the developer's intentions go.

So anyhow... Moving along. We all know that the Seraphim are dedicated to the light. They're pure at heart (except for that evil black one that's part of the Seraphim's class quest). Ingesting a drop of their blood can purify evil beings (as evidenced in multiple instances in Sacred 1 - the Vampiress, Jaquaire and his succubus wife as a for instance - and yet, strangely absent in Sacred 2). I'm thinking they probably didn't care too much for how the "Elifa" (elves) and other slaves were treated. I'm thinking there was a bit of a mutiny aboard their ship, perhaps some damage done to it and a crash landing on Ancaria - where the various species - elves, dragons, humans, dwarves, lizardmen, Orcs, goblins, garema and anyone else I missed aboard the ship were likely quite rudely disembarked. The Seraphim likely concocted the lore of the Creator in order to keep the peace. Eventually, the game was likely up when after a very, very long time, no sign of the creator's return ever came. The T-Energy found on Ancaria likely came from the ship as well. If it can power a few lights and undead on Ancaria, it could likely power starships as well.

So there's my theory in a nutshell...

I noticed the similarity between the books and "lore" when I first read it :) But to me that's just a nod from the developers in an easter egg to existing lore. Your theory is a nice one though. I do in fact have wondered where the name Fallen Angel comes from as I have yet so far not seen anything in Sacred 2 that this title might reference to.

I noticed the similarity between the books and "lore" when I first read it :) But to me that's just a nod from the developers in an easter egg to existing lore. Your theory is a nice one though. I do in fact have wondered where the name Fallen Angel comes from as I have yet so far not seen anything in Sacred 2 that this title might reference to.

I believe that the term "fallen angel" ("fallen angels" would be better) refers to some things stated in the intro movie by the blind seer and also by Sophia on Seraphim Island.

It was the seraphim who made the decision to share the secrets of T-energy with the world, and thus are at least indirectly responsible for the T-energy created monsters that are overrunning Ancaria in Sacred 2. Also, "fallen" probably refers to the abandonment of Ancaria by the Creator, which causes a lot of tension, soul-searching, and a crisis of faith in the seraphim religion.

They saw themselves as the favored servants of the Creator, yet why has he abandoned them? Surely they have failed in some way, they are "fallen" and must redeem themselves to the Creator, or so the reasoning seems to go.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the Dryads, Garema/Nuk Nuk and such living "underground" per se - I don't exactly buy that explanation. If you look at the S1 map, most all of it, except for the very end where you go beat up on Anducar and his minions appears to be at ground level. It's far more believable than the tale that there's day and night by "magical" means under the ground.

To bring back this issue, while going through my old MP toons for more books I came across Beyond_Menelgond. It clearly states that the Underworld is separate from the upperworld and thus really underground.

The book Magic and Climate of Menelgond makes me think my theory about a cataclysmic event or a demi-god created by the Great Machine creating the Underworld might be true. From the book: "One tells the story of an evil sorcerer who banished Menelgond below the surface; another claims that Menelgond is the origin of all magic and this magical influence created life and plants within the caverns. One day, however, this magic would be depleted and then Menelgond would fall into eternal darkness and all life within would dwindle to nothing."

In fact, both could be true. An all powerful being could have banished parts of the upperworld below, creating Menelgond. The magic flowing in Menelgond might be the last residual T-energy which one day would become depleted. It would explain how Dwarves, Dryads and Garema came into the Underworld while others books say they never saw the upperworld or the sun. That would be true for the current population, having long since forgotten their ancestral life above ground.

Hell the banishment could have even happened before Sacred 2 already (perhaps in the Dragon Wars). Those of the Dryads, Garema and Dwarves that were not caught in it, continued to live above the ground. And who knows if Anducar might not be involved somehow, either in the Wars for the Machine or the creation of Menelgond.

The thing about the map is that it's printed that way simply for convenience. The underworld is constantly referred to that way in lore - that it is an underworld (such as Orpheus or Dante travelled through in real world literature). It's displayed on the map the way it is because that was easier than issuing a second map just for the expansion (and also because I have a feeling that's how it fits in with the programmed world).

The thing about the map is that it's printed that way simply for convenience. The underworld is constantly referred to that way in lore - that it is an underworld (such as Orpheus or Dante travelled through in real world literature). It's displayed on the map the way it is because that was easier than issuing a second map just for the expansion (and also because I have a feeling that's how it fits in with the programmed world).

Fully agreed there. Only the lower regions of the UW campaign are supposed to be actually above ground (the desert town region and the Pirate Isles). As far as the easter egg space ship is concerned, that would fit with the theory proposed in Magic and Climate of Menelgond, if you assume that ship crashed before Menelgond was banished to the UW. It might even fit in with the theory that the Seraphim and the Great Machine are actually creations from an alien race and crash landed on Ancaria or whatever (but as you might tell, I'm not a big fan of that theory as I think of easter eggs as nice nods to some things but shouldn't be considered too canon, I certainly don't think there was actually a company called Ascaron developing a game called Sacred 3 in the game world for instance).

While I might not agree with that theory, I do like how everyone comes up with their own interpretation :) Sacred is a rich world for people with imagination as many things are left open. However I do wish the devs had given more thought and attention to Lore and make it all fit.

As far as the Dryads, Garema/Nuk Nuk and such living "underground" per se - I don't exactly buy that explanation. If you look at the S1 map, most all of it, except for the very end where you go beat up on Anducar and his minions appears to be at ground level. It's far more believable than the tale that there's day and night by "magical" means under the ground.

To bring back this issue, while going through my old MP toons for more books I came across Beyond_Menelgond. It clearly states that the Underworld is separate from the upperworld and thus really underground.

I do not believe the "Underworld" is really underground... well, not in a game-sense anyway. Playing a Vampiress, I get sunburned while it is "daytime" in UW.

So, I would propose a theory that the Underworld is acutally a seperate dimension. :o It occupies space in the "real" Ancaria, but in totally inaccessable (by either physical or magical means) areas. This dimension could have been created by the tainting of Ancaria's heart.

But, I really haven't gotten too far into S1 Lore yet (just read the UW books in the wiki) so that may not be possible, either.

A underworld would be exactly what you describe, occupying space in Ancaria (just below ground) and completely inaccessible. Although the UW books state that Shaddar's tower was in fact a physical connection. The tower was built in the upperworld and the basement extended all the way into the UW. From that, and other books, I can only conclude that the underworld is a physical underworld underneath Ancaria.

As for the Vampiress burning, that's got probably to do with gameplay mechanics or maybe some artificial "sunlight" produced by the magic.

I assumed the 'sunlight' in Sacred Underworld was like that of Pelucidar, from At the Earth's Core (I think that's the one). Some sort of magical radiation that simulates daylight, and which presumably the vampiress is still vulnerable to (probably UV radiation, I guess). I can't remember, but did the Underworld still have day and night cycles?

• 7 months later...

That is what I always assumed, kind of like racoons.

Has anyone wondered where they got the idea for the Seraphim design? Because, the way I see it, some of the devs where probably reading some of Todd McFarlane's Spawn comic books. See what I'm talking about:

Spawn_9.jpg

Used to have a localized version of that one years back, oh the nostalgia. :D Must be 'cause I sold them away before getting in touch with Sacred franchise I didn't see the connection.

Might as well be. Angela is an angel, and so. Nice catch, mate.