Shadow Veil works with melee weapons?

Hello, I always thought that any melee weapon attack would deactivate Shadow Veil.

Unfortunately, I just discovered by accident that you can use combat arts like Frenzied Rampage without deactivating it.

Are you kidding? This discovery may very well ruin the game for me. I just blew away the Guardians on Silver and they didn't attempt a single blow. Now I'm on Gold, and I can walk around demolishing every monster and they can't even fight back.

I always had thought that the melee weapon restriction provided some limitation to the power - killing things by Spectral Hand and Skeletal Fortification is very, very slow and hardly worth it against trash mobs.

But Frenzied Rampage without becoming visible? Come on!

Has it always been like this, or has this SV-with-any-combat-art been added in Ice and Blood or in the CM?

I remember that what made me lose interest in Sacred 1 was that well-built characters always became omnipotent by gold level. I used to rush through gold and platinum to niobium hoping for a challenge - and nope, all I had to do was right-click Ice Shards or Gust of Wind, or Stomping Jump, or whatever my built combat art was, and every enemy would fall instantly, right up to the Sakkara demon (and he'd be down in 10 or so right-clicks.)

Are most people just pretending like Shadow Veil doesn't exist so that it won't ruin the game for them? One of things I liked about Sacred 2 was that none of the classes could become completely invulnerable - there was always some danger, especially against bosses, no matter how strong you got.

Now, I don't know. Since I know how to be invulnerable by Gold level, how will I avoid the temptation?

I wish there were a mod or something that would gimp Shadow Veil, big time. Such as completely unable to attack while it's active, the way D&D does, or at least being unable to reach 100% undetectability while casting or in close proximity. The fear of suddenly becoming visible would at least add some risk to it.

As it is, there is only the chance of accidentally left-clicking an enemy while moving around.

I am interested in people's thoughts on this. I know it has been discussed to death, and I apologize for that, so links to other threads if people don't feel like typing fresh thoughts would be okay.

Yup it has always been like this. Other than keeping it at a low level (<under lvl25) not much you can do other than intentionally left clicking. Once at level 25 it can reach 100% invisibility depending on the mods taken. I got one to level 140 before it simply became too boring to continue. They do make wonderful map explorers though

What a pity! Once I find a way to achieve invulnerability in an action RPG, it's pretty much game over!

And I was getting such a nice collection of set items, too!

Oh well, I guess it's back to Titan Quest or Dungeon Siege. Or maybe I'll do a story-based RPG next. I still haven't even bought Dragon Age 2.

Aw, Belgarathmth... sorry to hear your dismay at finding that out... but once you know the code for "god mode" does that mean you have to use it?

And, Shadow Veil does have weaknesses, it is quite easy to die under some circumstances :)

Aw, Belgarathmth... sorry to hear your dismay at finding that out... but once you know the code for "god mode" does that mean you have to use it?

And, Shadow Veil does have weaknesses, it is quite easy to die under some circumstances :)

Yeah, but the thing is, I know those circumstances and how to avoid them. ;)

After sleeping on it, I think maybe I'll just play one of my other characters; I have a magic staff dragon mage, a light saber dragon mage, and a hammer shadow warrior who hasn't taken astral lore or built shadow veil. I also have an inquisitor, but he started dying on me in gold level - too squishy!

I've learned my lesson about shadow veil, though. People don't complain about it for no reason. If you want to have fun, you don't build it. Some vulnerability and needing to focus to stay alive is what gets your brain chemicals to percolate.

Sorry for the whine, though. I was just really surprised and disappointed to discover that I could use melee weapons with shadow veil.

I used to not use SV but only use on dragons and so forth. Since I was hardcore it kinda made sense.

Yes, that was my intention when I first started to build it. But I thought my only choices for attack while veiled were spectral hands and skeletal fortifications. Finding out that I could use frenzied rampage and a melee weapon made it way more powerful than I realized, not only for defense, but also for offense.

I can stick to my plan of only using it, say, against the Nameless Guardians or in unfamiliar situations (I still haven't played the new Ice and Blood areas.)

But I'm still trying to decide if the game is as much fun when I know I don't have to be afraid of anything. A little bit of fear is probably a very good thing in a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, I guess it's back to Titan Quest or Dungeon Siege. Or maybe I'll do a story-based RPG next. I still haven't even bought Dragon Age 2.

Ehm...about that...If u haven't bought it allready I don't recommend DA2...It's a lot of things, but story driven, not by a long shot, half the time I played trough that crap made me feel like playing a really,really bad Diablo 1 clone...No coherent story, and endless (and I mean ENDLESS!) scores of identical mobs on identical maps...

Here I definitely recommend TRY before you buy...